Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Chromebook

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

leaving aside the actual laptop devices at present, anyone use this? How good is it?

Comments

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

Not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've heard they're really good at browsing the web and Youtube, and not much else. You can forget Windows programs like Microsoft Office, though Google Docs is supported. I'm not sure if Office 365 is supported or not. You're also out of luck if you like Apple software like iTunes.

• chrispchechrispche Southend on Sea, Essex, UK Explorer

@nakazcid said:
    Not speaking from personal experience, but from what I've heard they're really good at browsing the web and Youtube, and not much else. You can forget Windows programs like Microsoft Office, though Google Docs is supported. I'm not sure if Office 365 is supported or not. You're also out of luck if you like Apple software like iTunes.

Who likes that monstrosity that is Apple iTunes? ;-)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@federica said:> leaving aside the actual laptop devices at present, anyone use this? How good is it?

I find it easier to use than Internet Explorer.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator
    edited October 2015

They can be great if they are what you need. They are very basic. They do not have dvd or cd players so you cannot install programs from disc unless you buy an external player. They are basically for the internet and not much else.

They do not allow you to use ITunes because they have their own proprietary music program, and you can (supposedly, my son has done it with his phone) move your stuff from ITunes to Google's Play music service so that you can use it on the Chromebook. You also cannot use Skype. Basically, if a program is owned by a competitor (mac or microsoft) you won't be able to use it on a chromebook. But they offer their own similar programs,like Google Hangouts.

Chromebooks have very little onboard storage. Most of your stuff will be saved to Google's cloud service. it's free for a while but then you have to pay for it, or use external sources like an extra hard drive. It backs up on it's own often (like many times an hour) so if your computer crashes and burns, you don't lose everything that was on it. The OS is a bit different from Mac or Windows and might take some time to get used to. If you've ever used the Chrome browser it'll be a little easier, they are quite similar.

Because they lack a ton of bloat ware (extra crap added into most laptops that you buy) they are quite fast in loading up.

If you are going to use it for internet and a little writing, it will be fine. Beyond that, they can't do a whole lot.

Edit: LOL sorry, just saw you originally posted this in May. Followed the crowd ;)

Invincible_summer