Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Day Powa

edited July 2005 in Buddhism Today
:bowdown: As it's dharma day, and as it's 2 weeks since the London bombing (plus another milder one today) I'm intending to do a powa for the victims this evening

no particular time, just later on this evening

I thought it would be nice to leave an open invitation for anyone who would like to do the same

For anyone who's not heard of powa, here is a simple (i.e. close enough) description of what you can do

visualise either the buddha, or a light,
visualise the location where the tragedy
visualise the buddha or light sending beams of light down to the deceased
visualise the pain and suffering disappearing from the deceased and being replaced by understanding and peace
the visualise the deceased moving onto join the buddha or light and leaving with them

it's just a nice practice that doesn't really need to be connected to a particular religion (hence use of light to replace buddha)

thank you

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I wll definitely do this as well! I will do it along with my meditation tonight. Thanks for the idea.
  • edited July 2005
    I will join in also...thanks
  • edited July 2005
    Sheena wrote:
    :bowdown: As it's dharma day, and as it's 2 weeks since the London bombing (plus another milder one today) I'm intending to do a powa for the victims this evening

no particular time, just later on this evening

I thought it would be nice to leave an open invitation for anyone who would like to do the same

For anyone who's not heard of powa, here is a simple (i.e. close enough) description of what you can do

visualise either the buddha, or a light,
    visualise the location where the tragedy
    visualise the buddha or light sending beams of light down to the deceased
    visualise the pain and suffering disappearing from the deceased and being replaced by understanding and peace
    the visualise the deceased moving onto join the buddha or light and leaving with them

it's just a nice practice that doesn't really need to be connected to a particular religion (hence use of light to replace buddha)

thank you

Sheena,

Thanks for the idea. I will do this today as well. I was thinking about what the U.K. is now having to deal with lately and today---terrorism---like the U.S. was having to deal with on that imfamous day on September 11, 2001. What a shame that certain countries have to deal with such horrible things like terrorism. :banghead: :bawling::(

Adiana
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Thanks to all who sent such kind wishes and good thoughts after our latest attack.

This Sunday, being the 6th anniversary of my wife's passing, I shall be conducting a ceremony at a local place of power (a pierced stone) in commemoration of all those 'loved and lost'. It will begin with prostrations and mantras for the first hour. The second hour will be a meditation on impermanence as the true base of compassion. The third hour will include a meal, and readings from peoples' favourites.

The ceremony will begin at noon, GMT+1 hour (British Summer Time). It is not a public event but I am inviting those of you who think of it, during those three hours, to turn your mind to the love of all those who have passed away before us, who were loved and loving.
  • edited July 2005
    Simon - what a wonderful idea. You can be sure that I will be thinking of you and your family at this time and I will also turn my attention to other people that we have lost in our lives. I wish I could be there in person to join in that day!