Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Killing mosquitoes

ECMECM
edited December 2010 in Buddhism Basics
I would like to hear what you -- any and all of you -- think about killing mosquitoes.
EM

Comments

• edited July 2005
    I think it has alot to do with your intent. If you are just killing them to satisfy some sort of blood lust its going to have much more negative karma than if you are killing them to protect yourself or others from possible diseases.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I was reading somewhere about someone interviewing the Dali Lama - and how he was being eaten up my mosquitoes - but never did more than just brush them away.

I must admit - I don't think I have that much patience... No bloodlust - just not that much patience to be Nature's Blood Bank.

Michael
  • edited July 2005
    I was bitten by a mosquito whist meditating once.

I let him/her do their thing and go on their merry little way.

In the end I am happy to sustain their lives.

If you want to prevent them from biting you then maybe, instead of killing them, you could just wear insect repellent...
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    I believe intention counts. If it's an instantaneous bodily reaction, and you smack where you're being bitten without thought of what you are doing, it's not "killing." If you realize that, "I'm going to kill this damn bug," then the intention is definitly there and it's "killing." As for how "wrong" it is, I can't say. How much negative kamma it entails, I also can't say.

I must shyly admit that I often kill mosquitoes when I'm bitten. I swat away at first, but if they keep coming, my mind becomes clouded with anger and irritation and I react violently instead of compassionately. If you do kill them, at least watch what you're doing and try to learn from it. Learn what you're thinking when you do it, what your body feels like (symptoms of anger, etc.) when you do it, realize that this is their nature when you do it, etc. Make it a part of your practice.

Many times, when you realize the control emotions like anger have over you, you feel a sort of shame and a sense of wrongdoing (Pali, hiri and ottappa). These two mental qualities the Buddha calls the Guardians of the World. When killing these mosquitoes, be mindful and see what you learn, or conversely, when not killing these mosquitoes be mindful and see what you learn. :)
  • ZenLunaticZenLunatic Veteran
    edited July 2005
    I was bitten by a mosquito whist meditating once.

I let him/her do their thing and go on their merry little way.

In the end I am happy to sustain their lives.

It was a 'she'; male mosquitoes don't bite. Females need the blood for their eggs. Now you know ;)

Considering that malaria/west nile and other nasty things are carried by mosquitoes, you might actually be saving lifes by whacking them. I saw on Animal Planet the other night where mosquitoes are the #1 extreme killer, as the diseases they carry kill tens of thousands every year. So here is a case of the 'needs of the many outweighing the needs of the few...or the one." (had to throw that Star Trek reference in there!).

That being said, I got some cool pictures of mosquitoes I can show you. I work in an entomology department! (although I, myself, am not an entomologist).
  • edited July 2005
    ECM wrote:
    I would like to hear what you -- any and all of you -- think about killing mosquitoes.
    EM

Hello ECM

Funny you bring this up. Two things I was sitting in the zendo the other day and a cunning and deviant mosquito viciously attacked me!! I was about 20 minutes into a 1-hour zazen session and he bit me on the bottom of my foot. Ugh! I sat in complete agony for the rest of the time trying not to disturb the others but with murderous vengeance on my mind :rarr:

Later when I talked with my Zen teacher she said she would have swatted that _____ and paid the karmic price later (she is quite a gruff one :smilec: ).

Next on my vacation I was privileged (?) to witness a spectacle I would not have believed if I had not been there. On the way to the campsite we stopped to take pictures of a moose. In a hurry to get the shot we left the doors open to the jeep and when we returned there were (I am not kidding!) at least 500 mosquitoes inside. I guess they were attracted to the carbon dioxide we were breathing out still trapped in the jeep. Lets just say I a war of karma ensued and swats and bites abounded. Karma karma karma where will you take me now?

So I realize that I didn’t answer your question but I thought I would share that even when you are aware you cannot avoid all situations. Hmm maybe it was THEM who were bad in a former life and deserved the swat???!!??

^gassho^
  • edited July 2005
    Well,

I have to be honest here---I will smack the pesky things instead of brushing them aside. I have been bitten too many times to be compassionate to them. So, I guess I will have to just deal with the negative karma! LOL! :angry::angry: :rarr: :rarr:

Adiana :smilec: :smilec:
  • edited August 2005
    Wolfscalissi,

That is the funniest thing I've read in a while. 'Specially what your teacher said!

:lol:
  • edited August 2005
    Seeing how mosquitos can carry and transmit deadly diseases, I consider killing them to sometimes be a necessary act of self-defense. Plus, I really don't like being covered in itching, bleeding mosquito bites. I still feel bad about it at times, though.
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited August 2005
    I really don't like ants. Black widows have to go,too. I have 2 little girls and they don't need to get hurt by those things.
  • edited August 2005

Hello ECM

Funny you bring this up. Two things I was sitting in the zendo the other day and a cunning and deviant mosquito viciously attacked me!! I was about 20 minutes into a 1-hour zazen session and he bit me on the bottom of my foot. Ugh! I sat in complete agony for the rest of the time trying not to disturb the others but with murderous vengeance on my mind :rarr:

Later when I talked with my Zen teacher she said she would have swatted that _____ and paid the karmic price later (she is quite a gruff one :smilec: ).

Next on my vacation I was privileged (?) to witness a spectacle I would not have believed if I had not been there. On the way to the campsite we stopped to take pictures of a moose. In a hurry to get the shot we left the doors open to the jeep and when we returned there were (I am not kidding!) at least 500 mosquitoes inside. I guess they were attracted to the carbon dioxide we were breathing out still trapped in the jeep. Lets just say I a war of karma ensued and swats and bites abounded. Karma karma karma where will you take me now?

So I realize that I didn’t answer your question but I thought I would share that even when you are aware you cannot avoid all situations. Hmm maybe it was THEM who were bad in a former life and deserved the swat???!!??

^gassho^

Great story!! And I like to think that mosquitos were bad in a former life and that is why they are mosquitos now in this life. So it's ok to swat them. Teasing.......that is just my justification for swatting them! Actually, I really don't like killing any bugs, but I also don't want one of the many diseases that mosquitos carry, so I do swat them. Especially if they land on my daughter. Luckily, we don't have mosquito issues here, so I have not had to kill one yet this year.
  • edited August 2005
    I will kill a mosquito...especially if I'm being bitten over and over again..but I will tell ya, I feel kinda bad because they are just trying to make a living..
    Sounds funny to put it that way..but thats all they know. They are minding their own business and then "Smack!" Their dead.
    Knowing they carry diseases and could very well kill you..makes me feel better about swating them. And It can save lives.
    The sad part, they don't have any idea that they are such a pain and deadly. They must have had a baaaadd past life...
    Which is disturbing because there are SOO many mosquitos in the world...
  • edited August 2005
    When you think of what most humans do to eat we are lucky nothing is swatting us. All mosquitos do is give us some little itchy bumps...oh yeah and the occasional deadly dissease.
  • edited August 2005
    I don't kill mosquitos. I try not to kill anything because I believe that killing other beings causes them unneccessary suffering. In regards to diseases, in Australia, where I live, I haven't really heard of people dying or getting sick from disesases like malaria, etc, due to mosquito bites. Therefore the prevention of a small itch is in my opinion not really that great an excuse to unncessarilly take life.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited August 2005
    Makkis wrote:
    I don't kill mosquitos. I try not to kill anything because I believe that killing other beings causes them unneccessary suffering. In regards to diseases, in Australia, where I live, I haven't really heard of people dying or getting sick from disesases like malaria, etc, due to mosquito bites. Therefore the prevention of a small itch is in my opinion not really that great an excuse to unncessarilly take life.
    What about Ross River Virus? It is common in Australia.
  • edited August 2005
    Yeah, but Ross River Virus mainly occurs in Central and Northern Australia. I live in Brisbane in Southeast Queensland, so don't have to worry so much. Ross River Virus also only effects something like 25-45% of people bitten and everybody who is bitten will recover. Those bitten will also develop a life-long immunity.
  • edited May 2009
    Thankful where i'm from i don't have to worry about mosquitoes
  • ECMECM
    edited May 2009
    Hi Daveie-
    Where are you living that you don't have any mosquitoes?
    ECM
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran
    edited May 2009
    In order to swat mosquitos, I have to take two non-buddhist stands: (1) I will take an aggressive, harmful action against another being (and justify it), and (2) decide that my desire to avoid unpleasant stimuli (itching) is more important my practice.

Still, I do sometimes just swat the darn things! Other times I wave them off me ... over and over again. Once, a waved mosquito drifted over to my daughter and landed on her. She swatted it magnificently, then looked at me with a big smile and say's "I'M a Lutheran!!!!".

So maybe the moral of the story is to hang out with Christians!
  • edited May 2009
    life in Ireland. All i have to worry about is Sheep getting into my house at night and eating all my food out in the back.

No only joking i live in the City any way only thing i have to worry about is filed mice and a hawk that seem to come and eat the young birds out the back once in a while
  • ECMECM
    edited May 2009
    Where would we be without our teachers, the mosquitoes?

One time I was in a wonderful practice center, and we had heard some great dharma talks, and we were slowly sitting down to prepare for another one, and I saw an older woman come in and almost step on a big bug on the floor. She didn't notice it. It was not that she wanted to step on it - she just didn't see it. And one of the monks went a bit crazy - really angry at the lady - and made a big deal about it in the way he responded- not using words, but exaggerated gestures and lots of angry energy. Thank goodness the lady never noticed. I t was almost like a comic strip. What do we see and what do we miss? If we don't see it, does it matter? How hard do we hold onto doctrine? What is more important, doctrine of no-killing bugs or the lady's feelings? Random musings...

E.
  • ECMECM
    edited May 2009
    I live in a concrete city - no hawks, but we do have these huge magpies who look like butlers, and loads of frogs who are singing at night these days. It is like the opera. ;-)
    Nice to meet you!
    E.
  • edited May 2009
    There are three general phases to an incident of an action like killing. Your intent leading up to it, the action itself, and your state of mind in the wake of the action.

When it comes to critters like mosquitoes and ants, I prefer to avoid killing them and will go somewhat out of my way to do so. But if a mosquito lands on me with the intention of feeding, I will tend to defend myself against the potential deadly diseases carried by it. Similarly, I will if necessary have such pests removed from my home in as lethal a manner as necessary.

As a local monk recently said, "You can't not kill, and have to sort through these decisions as you go. If you remove a tick from a dog, it's good for the dog, but not so good for the tick."

I once took a 6-month set of vows that included not killing anything with intent, and made it the entire time without so much as swatting a mosquito. But I had a few very close moments in which a swatting hand or squishing foot had to be stopped at the screeching last moment.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I didn't know there weren't any mosquitoes in Ireland! How wonderful!
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited May 2009
    Brigid wrote: »
    I didn't know there weren't any mosquitoes in Ireland! How wonderful!

And, of course, no snakes since Saint Patrick banished them! A wonderful myth for the victory of Christianity over 'paganism'.
  • edited May 2009
    What an interesting and I must add, somewhat comical thread seeing that I live in Michigan where the national bird is the mosquito! lol I think the key word here is "intent".I do not intentionally go around my back yard looking for mosquitos to kill, and I do use my hands to shoo them away when they come near me. Yet it is a natural reaction of the body to smack something that is intentionally biting me. Just a little funny story that I want to relate to you. My husband and I try to take walks in the woods on a daily basis. Recently it rained off and on for three days so we didnt go. We had a GORGEOUS day yesterday so we decided to walk. I asked him if he wanted me to spray him with repellant and he said no he didnt want that stuff on him. So I sprayed some on me. Well, we reached the center of the woods and you could see clouds and clouds of mosquitos. It's a bumper year for them this year! They werent bothering me at all but they were all over him poor guy!!!!!Guess you had to have been there hey?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2009
    I find that Deep Woods Off really works.

Palzang
  • yuriythebestyuriythebest Veteran
    edited May 2009

Hello ECM

^gassho^

It could be karma, or it could be that you live in a place that has many mosquitoes, which in turn could be your karma yet not related to the mosquito you killed recently.

As for killing/not killing mosquitoes I have a mosquito-net window frame thingy. Though on occasion when one does get through I do usually kill or attempt to kill it. For context I'm a vegeterian. However I don't usually kill flies- there are few of those in my area and the ones that do get into my room I usually let out. The only exception is the blood-sucking fly.
  • edited September 2009
    padre wrote: »
    There are three general phases to an incident of an action like killing. Your intent leading up to it, the action itself, and your state of mind in the wake of the action.

When it comes to critters like mosquitoes and ants, I prefer to avoid killing them and will go somewhat out of my way to do so. But if a mosquito lands on me with the intention of feeding, I will tend to defend myself against the potential deadly diseases carried by it. Similarly, I will if necessary have such pests removed from my home in as lethal a manner as necessary.

As a local monk recently said, "You can't not kill, and have to sort through these decisions as you go. If you remove a tick from a dog, it's good for the dog, but not so good for the tick."

I once took a 6-month set of vows that included not killing anything with intent, and made it the entire time without so much as swatting a mosquito. But I had a few very close moments in which a swatting hand or squishing foot had to be stopped at the screeching last moment.
    The bolded part makes a lot of sense to me. Now how different is it to remove a mosquito from a human (such as myself or my child)?

If we see a tick approaching a dog what would/should we do to stop it? or should we?

I'm reading this thread and I'm thinking about nature's balance. We humans can sure screw things up.

I'm also thinking about whether or not I'm obligated to sacrifice myself and my child by allowing a mosquito to dwell in my home. We do have West Nile where I live. What if nature's balance got tilted in an unfavorable direction because of something we overthought?

I'm just wondering if this issue needs to be reacted to with such scrutiny... I doubt if any of us go out of our way to go mosquito hunting.

Hope my comments aren't controversial. Just curious.

Some first post, eh? :buck:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Welcome, Lifesabeach... Love the avatar...!

I think sometimes we can overthink things and get anal about stuff.
    If we're going to consider the mosquitoes we dispatch, then how much more severe the consequences of eliminating cockroaches from a hotel kitchen, rats in a sewer, or termites from a house.

It's weighing up the consequences, making a decision and accepting that sometimes, life is not the easy, 'black-and-white' process we'd so dearly love it to be.....
    The overall good of those close to us is what counts.
    Killing - anything, anyone - is a last resort.
    But remember, the Buddha never denounced self-defence.....
  • edited September 2009
    the Buddha never denounced self-defence.....

There is the answer! Well said !!!
  • edited September 2009
    Are mosquitos sentient beings? In an word, yes. One of the things that makes them happy is sucking your blood. Perhaps the fact that they will fly away if you try to swat it indicates that its is also trying to avoid suffering. There is, on our part, that instinct to smack whatever happens to bite us, out of defensiveness.
  • edited September 2009
    federica wrote: »
    Welcome, Lifesabeach... Love the avatar...!

I think sometimes we can overthink things and get anal about stuff.
    If we're going to consider the mosquitoes we dispatch, then how much more severe the consequences of eliminating cockroaches from a hotel kitchen, rats in a sewer, or termites from a house.

It's weighing up the consequences, making a decision and accepting that sometimes, life is not the easy, 'black-and-white' process we'd so dearly love it to be.....
    The overall good of those close to us is what counts.
    Killing - anything, anyone - is a last resort.
    But remember, the Buddha never denounced self-defence.....
    Thank you Frederica not only for the warm welcome but also the thoughtful reply.

In these modern times our responsibilities have changed. Buddha was living the life of an ascetic when he made these realizations. In today's world I would be facing child abuse and neglect charges and my daughter would be taken away from me if I lived the same lifestyle. Allowing pests to feed on our bodies, especially when they can be carrying deadly diseases would just be unreasonable.

I have 3 dogs and I try my best to keep fleas off of them. The only way to do that is by killing the fleas when they attack. My responsibility is to my dogs.

Harmless bugs are a different story. Ladybugs, dragonflies... but we wouldn't want the inside of our homes overrun by such creatures. We do our best to keep our homes clear.

We live right next to a very large and very natural park. We have bugs galore coming around our yard. Some are disturbingly large. We take measures to keep them out of our yard. We hang these silly looking fake wasps nests up as preventative measure. But the yellow jackets will come and nest. The only way to protect ourselves from those aggressive creatures is to get rid of the nest and whatever is inside. My hubby is very sympathetic to bugs but he will stop at nothing to rid our patio of a yellowjacket nest. It's never out of anger, just self preservation and the protection of our young daughter.

Things are never black and white, IMO. If they were, we'd be all going insane.

I have circumstances in my life that bring me a great deal of uneasiness. One of the only things that calms me is to read and consider Buddhist thought. I discovered this forum on a Google search for dealing with a relationship where the other person is irrational.

I ended up in a thread about rage and violence. I read some very lovely replies. Thank you Frederica for that as well. :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited September 2009
    Tenzin wrote: »
    Are mosquitos sentient beings? In an word, yes.
    I am still very undecided about this.
    Even HH the Dalai Lama states he would give them opportunity to abstain before finally dispatching them. He stated this in a video....
    One of the things that makes them happy is sucking your blood.
    I would require evidence that this makes them happy.
    Only females suck blood, to feed their young. Happiness has little to do with an instinctive action.
    Perhaps the fact that they will fly away if you try to swat it indicates that its is also trying to avoid suffering.
    We all do this.
    It's a survival instinct. (Emphasis on 'instinct'....)
    There is, on our part, that instinct to smack whatever happens to bite us, out of defensiveness.
    Exactly.
    defensiveness.
    self-defence.
    something the Buddha never condemned.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited September 2009
    In the stories surrounding the Buddha Shakyamuni, there are some about his relationship with creatures we dislike or fear:

Dislike: snails: how hard we try to keep them off our brassicas but the story is that they gathered on Gotama's head to shelter him from the sun.

Fear: cobra: a giant king cobra opened his hood to keep the rain off the Awakened One while he was teaching.

Perhaps, were we fully awakened, we would be helped rather than harmed by all other sentient beings.
    edited September 2009
    Cor, ain't life Dukkha.....? :rolleyes: :D
  • edited September 2009
    Cor, ain't life Dukkha.....? :rolleyes: :D
    Oh I like that! Is there a thread about Dukkha? :D

*runs off to check*
    edited September 2009
    I think you'll find - in one way or another - they all are......;)
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Fede, You are really on a roll lately! So perfectly do the words roll from your tongue! I stand in Awe.

I didn't know till yesterday when I first read this thread that only female mosquitoes drew blood —and that only when they're bearing eggs. I'd like to know what the ratio of females to males was in most species. I think it's fascinating that it's our carbon dioxide emissions that attract them (I hitherto thought it was sugar in our blood.).

I don't really mean this question, but when (and where) does the life of a mosquito begin? When we kill one are we killing many? I mean, if the female only drinks blood to nourish eggs, she is carrying life when she sucks blood. Otherwise, she'd be sucking nectar.

My folks call some beings low-life. Is that bad?
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited September 2009
    Mosquitoes lay their eggs in open water, like ponds, puddles, wells... They have a very short incubation cycle, days I think. Insects in general don't live long lives. Calling them "low-life", however, definitely is a relativistic (not to mention chauvanistic) statement. They may appear low-life to us, but how about to an ameba? ;)

Palzang
  • edited September 2009
    I think you'll find - in one way or another - they all are......;)
    oh clever...teehee:D
  • edited October 2009
    I don't try to eat mosquitoes, why should I let them eat me. I will be worm food soon enough. Meantime, I provide my local mosquitoes with a means of enlightenment in the form of the electric grid bug zapper light that "enlightens" them with 2000 volts. Zap. Look, they fly into it of their own volition.....
  • edited October 2009
    Palzang wrote: »
    Calling them "low-life", however, definitely is a relativistic (not to mention chauvanistic) statement.

Yep, if the Sun had/has mind and thinks about us getting skin cancer, it can think of us as low lives in very much the same way.
  • edited October 2009
    I don't try to eat mosquitoes, why should I let them eat me. I will be worm food soon enough. Meantime, I provide my local mosquitoes with a means of enlightenment in the form of the electric grid bug zapper light that "enlightens" them with 2000 volts. Zap. Look, they fly into it of their own volition.....

The difference is, you wont suffer from being worm food. Mosquitoes do what they have to do to survive.
  • edited October 2009
    Hey, we all do what we have to do to survive, you know. When pregnant mosquitoes switch their diet from my blood to, say, mosquito snacks, why, then I'll reconsider my stance. Not that I would actually buy mosquito snacks the way I do doggie treats! Anyway, I am just pointing to the absurdity of worrying about mosquitoes. I attended HHDL teachings in Long Beach, CA this last September and among other very remarkable teachings he happened to mention that swatting a mosquito is not a breach of the precept not to kill sentient beings. Sometimes we well intentioned, evolved human beings take things to literal extremes because, well, what else do we have to do with these big old brains but.......mis-perceive the simplest things. And now for the disclaimer - this is just my opinion - those who love mosquitoes have my respect. Wait, how do you know I won't be suffering as worm food? I don't. And do you honestly stay up nights obsessing about the karmic consequences of swatting a mosquito? Have mercy.
  • edited October 2009
    Wait, how do you know I won't be suffering as worm food? I don't.

That is a very good question. Good stuff.
    And do you honestly stay up nights obsessing about the karmic consequences of swatting a mosquito? Have mercy.

No I just honestly try not to kill anything thats doing exactly the same things I am for the same reasons I am.

It doesnt keep me up though.
  • ValtielValtiel Veteran
    edited November 2009
    Are mosquitos sentient beings? In an word, yes.

I am still very undecided about this.
    Even HH the Dalai Lama states he would give them opportunity to abstain before finally dispatching them. He stated this in a video....

Sentience doesn't mean the ability to feel happiness, or any other emotional thoughts/feelings. The fact that it's doing what it does to sustain its life and the life of its erm... mosquito baby, would sooner make me try to leave it alone than if it were doing it merely for pleasure (in that case, it can find another past time). Sentient means "responsive to or conscious of sense impressions."

If mosquitos aren't sentient then neither are people in comas or people with severe brain damage and the like.
    Exactly.
    defensiveness.
    self-defence.
    something the Buddha never condemned.

I've personally been bit my hundreds of mosquitos over the years and have never had any issues. So I try not to swat them but occassionally find my hand smiting one out of instinct. :rolleyes: We have West Nile here and if it were common then I'd definitely do what I had to to keep them away.
  • AriettaDolenteAriettaDolente Veteran
    edited November 2009
    In all matters of self defense, I think of the "Shaolin Creed":
    Avoid rather than check.
    Check rather than hurt.
    Hurt rather than maim.
    Maim rather than kill.

For all life is precious,
    nor can any be replaced.
  • shadowleavershadowleaver Veteran
    edited November 2009
    If a creature wants to eat me or a part of me (which sucking blood is), I'll kill it. Nothing personal-- just nature at work.
  • edited November 2009
    buddhists dont kill mosquitos, or any other living beings for that matter.
    i honestly cant believe this thread is so long.
    we dont kill period.