Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

17 Jan: NewBuddhist.com maintenance time today

LincLinc Site ownerDetroit Moderator

Just a heads up: the site will be offline for an hour or two today. We're migrating to a new server. Search may be down for a few hours longer after the site comes back.

Comments

• LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited January 2016

Some high-level curiosity sating:

• It's a nicer, slightly faster, easier-to-manage server with the same company for slightly less money.
    • All our server software (not the forum, the stuff keeping the forum online) was a few years out of date and this was the easiest way to upgrade all of it at once.
    • No data loss unless you decide to upload a file or avatar today before we move - I already copied the site's physical files. :) All posts & PMs will make it across, and there will be a downtime notice while it's in progress.
    lobsterBunksyagr

Soon™

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2016

Oh, you have no idea. I've never actually met the guy in person. But my respect for him is endless, and he has taught me so much in so many ways.
    I admire him enormously. And I count him as a treasured friend.

I think he thinks I can be a right old maid and must be a pain in the proverbial at times....
    Patience of a saint! :lol:

Linc

Looks like this is gonna get pushed until tomorrow. That darn search engine just doesn't wanna work on the new server. Spent the better part of 12 hours tinkering with it today, no luck.

Patience of a saint! :lol:

Hmm, I suspect the poor support technician at our hosting provider has a different opinion of me just now. :o

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

Is there any plan to apply for google ads to help raise money to spend on maintenance cost of this website?

• Straight_ManStraight_Man Gentle Man Veteran

One of our sister sites played actively with ads and got so many complaints and nit-picks that the admins of that site (Lincoln among them) decided to abandon ads. Trying Google Ads was one of the sub-experiments of that effort. If you want to gift money to help fund the site's continuance please email lincoln at the usage problem email address.

rohit
  • @Linc said:
    Looks like this is gonna get pushed until tomorrow.

Tee hee. Was gonna congratulate you on the seamless transition ... :3

That darn search engine just doesn't wanna work on the new server. Spent the better part of 12 hours tinkering with it today, no luck.

New day, new mind. Thus have I heard. ;)

“If you are going through hell, keep going.” Wrathful semi-deity ~ Winston Churchill

Iz plan! <3

We ran Google ads in the distant past, but they:

• Slow down the site.
    • Make the site harder to read to folks with dyslexia or visual impairment.
    • Are super tacky and frequently their content is disgusting.
    • Typically do not even cover the hosting cost.

So it's hard to justify. I have some long-term plans about letting folks pay for some minor "subscriber" benefits if they want to help support us.

Also, an Icrontian (from our sister site, icrontic.com) fixed the new server today, so consider your dues paid a while longer! :lol:

We're unblocked for final migration; will be commencing this evening.

Downtime imminent. For realsies this time.

Bam!

• @Linc said:
    Bam!

Well said!
    The server blew up? :p Success :bleep_bloop::+1:
    Hooray we iz upgraded ... :+1: