Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Things Nightmares Are Made of.....

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

I can remember back in primary school (many moons ago) when stray dogs would wander into the playground, and chase the children as they played, but this takes things to a whole new level........A leopard....

"A male leopard which strayed into a school in the southern Indian city of Bangalore injured five people during an hours-long attempt to catch the beast, a wildlife official said."
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11586211

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

At least it was a Sunday! I guess it may not have come in if there was a lot of noise and kiddies about......

Nirvana
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

True @Bunks.....
    Wow it brought back memories of when travelling around India back in the early 1980s and reading an English language newspaper, where there were reports of tiger attacks and one had a story of a villager being eaten/swallowed by a python .....

• Why don't we similarly fear cars? Don't they kill more schoolchildren than leopards do? And guns, mosquitos, ladders, Big Macs, etc.

rohit
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

You were lucky! Our school was trampled by a grumpy tyrannosaurus rex, he ate the teacher and a dinner lady too!

lobster
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    You were lucky! Our school was trampled by a grumpy tyrannosaurus rex, he ate the teacher and a dinner lady too!

Luxury! We used to dream of having teachers and dinner ladies. We would loved to have had a leopard or t-rex to maul us. That would have taught us a good lesson. O.o;)

person

@Steve_B said:
    Why don't we similarly fear cars? Don't they kill more schoolchildren than leopards do? And guns, mosquitos, ladders, Big Macs, etc.

I'm more fearful of the idiot behind the wheel...not the car itself...

rohit
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think as usual, we fear what we don't know. We don't know the motivation of a large car, nor when we might or might not see them (living in India, I mean). Cars/drivers, not so much. Not only can we identify with them because we do the same activity, but we mostly know when to expect them and rarely do they show in your house or other unexpected places. And when they do? When you are sleeping and a drunk crashes through your wall? Bet its every bit as terrifying, at least in the moment, as a large cat.

Shoshin
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

Its incredible how much distance big cats can cover in such a short span of time.

Shoshin

The reason I have put this news item about "Fear of God" in this thread is....I just thought it made sense to put it amongst "Things Nightmares Are Made Of" Anyhow

"Scientists have found a long-awaited explanation as to why humans have for centuries maintained orderly societies: the fear of an angry god."

"While beliefs were diverse and ranged from Christianity to Hinduism and Buddhism, the study found that overall, participants who rated their gods highly as all-knowing and concerned with moral behaviour allocated more money to people who believed in the same god."

"This was the case even if their co-believers were strangers from another community, but wasn't true for those who shared beliefs in local spirits and deities not considered so "all-knowing" or concerned with moral behaviour."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11587613

I think that there's some truth to it....how much truth, that I'm not sure :)

edited February 2016

Thanks for the update @rohit :)
    It's interesting that in the original new item I posted, this was said

"The leopard was taken to Bangalore's Bannerghatta zoo for observation, but was reportedly later released into the forest."

• rohitrohit Maharrashtra Veteran

I think he again came into residential area.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Yes, we sat in my living room and ate spotted dick and polka-dot tea.....

Nuffink like a nice spotted dick, almost as good as a Bakewell tart.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

But not quite. And less appealing to a spotted leopard. I was trying to make him feel at home......

I have had tarts actually in Bakewell, very special. No leopards up there though.

How can you be sure? They're masters of disguise. If you've never spotted one... does it mean they weren't there? That puts you in an awkward spot, that does.....

lobster
  • One of the temples I visit is near sightings of the mysterious cryptozoological Crystal Palace Puma ...
    http://www.monbiot.com/2013/05/22/the-never-spotted-leopard/

I keep my eyes open ... just in case the puma is out for an uncharacteristic stroll ...
    and now back to dreams within dreams ...

I remember reading "A Lion In The Meadow" to my children when they were young....

• LionduckLionduck Veteran
    edited February 2016

Nightmares are just Daymares with shades on...uuh, was that coffee decaffinated by any chance?

Besides, once, within a three day period, you've had a rocket land virtually next to you (a dud of course) and walked away from a direct hit by lightning , what's a little nightmare or two?

Peace to all

lobster
  • ^^^ Tee Hee.
    Yesterday we got locked in an early closing fenced graveyard, had to climb over a fallen tree and half broken fence into a mental hospital secure area. Luckily we got out of there too ...

Life sure can be precarious ... and now back to the sleep walking ...