Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How can I become a Buddhist ?

Namo Buddhaya Namo Dharmaya Namo Shangaya

Hi Everybody;

I decided to be a Buddhist but unfortunately there is not any temple in my city (Istanbul).

How can I be a Buddhist without a monk's guidance ?

And I need to learn basic Buddhist principles and texts about meditation.

Thank you.

Cinorjer

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

How long is it that you decided to become Buddhist?
    To become Buddhist does not necessarily mean you have to have direct personal guidance form a Monk.

Perhaps, if you tell us a little bit more about your practice, we can provide stronger guidance....

Burkan
  • For me a Buddhist is someone who is interested in Buddhism to the extent that they devote some time to learning about it and/or meditating. So you could do that where you are I am presuming.

WalkerlobsterBurkan
  • This guy is in Istanbul. I am sure there are others.
    http://www.farkindalikmeditasyon.com/aboutme.htm

At the top of this section are links, readings, suggestions.

Hi :)

Burkan
  • I have had great friends from Turkey from when I was in school for chemistry. Friends including lab mates and soccer friends. And none of them were notorious for knives!! Rather they were educated and good senses of humor.

Burkan
  • genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

How to become a Buddhist....

Never swallow the gold fish on Thursdays.

sovaSwaroop
  • sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

Take refuge in the Three Jewels.

@Burkan please read about the Preliminaries and engage in them as much as possible. Lay a solid foundation for when you find a spiritual friend to help lift the veils.

Burkan
  • If you can habor nothing but love, compassion, and good will towards yourself and others at all times, then you have already achieved something valuable that some may not even get to experience in their lifetime.

JeffreylobsterBurkan
  • BurkanBurkan New
    edited March 2016

Thank you a lot for good advices and explanations.

I have been interested in Buddha-Dharma about ten years and two weeks ago I decided to become a Buddhist.

Actually it is very hard to be a Buddhist between a very conservative community. Unfortunately I have to hide myself. For example one of my good friends left me. According to him I was an infidel and idol worshipper. May be it is easier to practice Buddhism in Western countries.

There is not enough Buddhist texts ( for example Samyutta Nikaya) in Turkish language and my English is very weak.So I try to improve my English day by day to read mentioned texts. Fortunately I could find some Turkish translations of Thich Nhat Hanh's books so I feel myself closer to Mahayana way. My heart was conquered by the Boddhisatva Avalokiteshvara.

I need to find some booklets about meditation. It is an condition to learn meditation techniques to develop a deeply insight and compassion. If you show me some meditation techniques I would be thankful.

silver
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

This link will give you books on Buddhism in the Turkish language perhaps some may discuss meditation techniques...
    http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&bbn=22&page=1&rh=n:283155,n:!1000,n:22,p_n_feature_nine_browse-bin:3291461011,n:12279

Burkan
  • Will_BakerWill_Baker Vermont Veteran

"I have been interested in Buddha-Dharma about ten years and two weeks ago I decided to become a Buddhist."
    -Well then, it seems to me you've been a Buddhist for two weeks now :-)

Burkan
  • Two weeks? That is practically several life times. Beginners mind gone?
    I am an infidel, idol worshipper and heretical Muslim. I consider Buddhism a form of pre-Prophet [PBUH] Sufism. :3

Avalokiteshvara aka Chenresig aka Ar-Rahman [only currently available for heretics] practice
    http://www.fpmt-osel.org/meditate/l4chnres.htm

OM MANI PEME HUM

Burkan
  • What ever form it is, to become a Buddhist simply practice Buddhism.

Sheesh! That caffeine withdrawal is something else!

• DakiniDakini Veteran

@Burkan Are you in Turkey? I was noticing your name. In Mongol, "Burkan" means a type of spirit or deity. What does it mean in your language?

• @Dakini said:
    @Burkan Are you in Turkey? I was noticing your name. In Mongol, "Burkan" means a type of spirit or deity. What does it mean in your language?

Yes I'm from Turkey.

When Uighur Turks were Buddhist, they called Buddha as Burkan =)

• How can I be a Buddhist without a monk's guidance?

You can send a private message to @Jayantha our resident monk in training asking for guidance/advice.

• @lobster said:

How can I be a Buddhist without a monk's guidance?

You can send a private message to @Jayantha our resident monk in training asking for guidance/advice.

Thank you.

• BhikkhuJayasaraBhikkhuJayasara Bhikkhu Veteran
    edited March 2016

@Burkan said:
    Namo Buddhaya Namo Dharmaya Namo Shangaya

Hi Everybody;

I decided to be a Buddhist but unfortunately there is not any temple in my city (Istanbul).

How can I be a Buddhist without a monk's guidance ?

And I need to learn basic Buddhist principles and texts about meditation.

Thank you.

You already have the best tool short of a live sangha of monks and lay persons near you, that being the internet.

I live in America and I was the only Buddhist I knew in my daily life until i moved to a monastery to become a monk. Your situation is quite common for buddhist converts world wide. The place where I came for teachings and eventually ordained at was a 5 hour drive from my home, so you can imagine I did not have the ability to have regular consistent visits there, but I went as much as I could, about once every 3-4 months.

The majority of my learning early in my practice was via youtube videos of monks giving dhamma talks, and dhamma books, and even forums like this. If you'd like any guidance in that regard I'd be happy to help, although that also depends on if you have a tradition in mind that suits you. if so then it might be better to speak with someone of that tradition.

I will say for great basic buddhist education check out www.buddhanet.net for starters.

• DakiniDakini Veteran

Speaking of great internet resources for Buddhists, I think the podcasts by Buddhist Geeks is very cool. Not suitable for beginners, as it's for people with some background in Buddhism. They used to be broadcast on a radio station in my area, but the programming is available on podcast at http://www.Buddhistgeeks.com