Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

favorite Buddhist quote?

2»

Comments

• racerskaracerska Indiana, USA Explorer

Does Terry Pratchett count?

ShoshinSwaroop
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

"favorite Buddhist quote?"

I have no favourites :wink:

• @racerska said:
    Does Terry Pratchett count?

I think Sir Pratchett should always count.

"In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded."
    (Pratchett, capturing the essence of Zen Mind)

Swaroop
  • There cannot be peace in the world when people have anger and hatred in their hearts. Only with love and compassion in the heart is world peace attainable.

Let us focus on the commonalties of all religions, on the inner core of all religions which is purity of heart. We should all give importance to this aspect of religion and avoid conflict over the outer shell of the religions, which is various rites, rituals, festivals and dogmas.

S.N. Goenka

CinorjerlobsterWalkerAjeevakDharmana
  • bookwormbookworm U.S.A. Veteran

[A deva:]
    A giver of what is a giver of strength?
    A giver of what, a giver of beauty?
    A giver of what, a giver of ease?
    A giver of what, a giver of vision?
    And who is a giver of everything?
    Being asked, please explain this to me.

[The Buddha:]
    A giver of food is a giver of strength.
    A giver of clothes, a giver of beauty.
    A giver of a vehicle, a giver of ease.
    A giver of a lamp, a giver of vision.
    And the one who gives a residence,
    is the one who is a giver of everything.
    But the one who teaches the Dhamma
    is a giver of
    the Deathless.

Kindada Sutta
    http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn01/sn01.042.than.html

• [.......] Grant me the serenity to accept...

lobster
  • @lyra said:
    What is your favorite Buddhist quote?

Books: $0 - try library or online
    Teachers: $0 - try sangha
    Pilgrimage: $0 - http://yinyana.tumblr.com/day/2013/07/12

TOTAL: Priceless

“Luminous, bhikkhus, is this mind, but it is defiled by adventitious
    defilements.”

“Luminous, bhikkhus, is this mind, and it is freed from adventitious
    defilements.”

Anguttara Nikaya 1.49-50
    translated by Bhikkhu Bodhi

• When beholding someone with my eyes, thinking, "I shall fully awaken through depending on this being," I should look at that person with love and an open heart.
    ~Shantideva

lobstersilver
  • ajhayesajhayes Pema Jinpa Dorje Northern Michigan Veteran

I really like "Knock on the sky, listen to the sound."

"I don't envision a single thing that is as quick to reverse itself as the mind - so much so that there is no feasible simile for how quick to reverse itself it is."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an01/an01.048.than.html

• Bigsby123Bigsby123 New
    edited November 2015

"Although enemies such as hatred and craving have neither any arms nor legs, and are neither courageous nor wise, how have I, like a slave, been used by them?"
    ~Shantideva

edited November 2015

Bhikkhus, I do not see even one other thing that, when
    developed and manifested, leads to such great good as the
    mind. The mind, when developed and manifested, leads to
    great good.”

AN 1.26

lobster
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Here's one that really resonates with me in today's atmosphere after the Paris attacks 13-14 November of this year:

"You cannot conquer hate [sc. violence] with hate [sc. violence]..."

• 'Too many notes'
    [Advice given to Amadeus Mozart]

http://www.tricycle.com/web-exclusive/green-koans

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran
    edited November 2015

I was stunned...this is a picture my Sean drew on this pink file card when I was at home working at my desk. He was a toddler and to this day, it blows my mind:

[I posted it because it looks like the picture @Lobster posted on the previous page.]

• EarthninjaEarthninja Wanderer West Australia Veteran

It's not the spoon that bends, it's you that bends. - the matrix

• "The meaning of life is spiritual happiness, not sensual happiness." ~ Ajahn Brahm

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Whatever worldly joy there is arises from wishing for others' happiness.
    Whatever worldly suffering there is arises from wishing for your own happiness.
    Shantideva - A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life

WalkerVastmindsilver

"Bhikkhus, suppose there were a pool of water that was cloudy, turbid, and muddy. Then a man with good sight standing on the bank could not see shells, gravel and pebbles, and shoals of fish swimming about and resting. For what reason? Because the water is cloudy. So too, it is impossible for a bhikkhu with a cloudy mind to know his own good, the good of others, or the good of both, or to realize a superhuman distinction in knowledge and vision worthy of the noble ones. For what reason? Because his mind is cloudy."

"Bhikkhus, suppose there were a pool of water that was clear, serene, and limpid. Then a man with good sight standing on the bank could see shells, gravel and pebbles, and shoals of fish swimming about and resting. For what reason? Because the water is limpid. So too, it is possible for a bhikkhu with a limpid mind to know his own good, the good of others, and the good of both, and to realize a superhuman distinction in knowledge and vision worthy of the noble ones. For what reason? Because his mind is limpid."

AN 1.45-146

lobsterWalkerNirvanasilver
    edited December 2015

Unfortunately, as has been pointed out by many historians, individuals can learn lessons from their lives (histories) —but nations never do.

Military options are just gonna further muddy the waters.

not a quote of the Lord Buddha's, but A.J. Toynbee was influenced by Buddhism.
    Quote relates to the above post by Bookworm.

• " The flaw with words is that they always force us to feel enlightened, but when we turn around to face the world they always fail us and we end up facing the world as we always have, without enlightenment. For this reason, a sorcerer seeks to act rather than to talk and to this effect he gets a new description of the world--a new description where talking is not that important, and where new acts have new reflections."
    Don Juan Matus

Vastmindlobster
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited December 2015

^^^ What chew saaaaaid! AKA ......Amen to that!

• Good quote from @robot
    This listening from the heart for the 'medicine' or teaching in all things is deeper than sages nodding at superficial words yet remaining heedless of the message of ground, sky and everything between life and death.

“This is love: to fly toward a secret sky, to cause a hundred veils to fall each moment. First to let go of life. Finally, to take a step without feet.”
    Bodhi Rumi

robot
  • ~ Kyabje Chatral Rinpoche _/|_ Words of Advice ~
    "No matter where you stay - be it a busy place or a solitary retreat -
    The only things that you need to conquer are mind’s five poisons
    And your own true enemies, the eight wordly concerns, nothing else,
    Whether it is by avoiding, transforming,
    taking them as the path or looking into their very essence,
    Whichever method is best suited to your own capacity."

Nirvana

This thread seems like it's leaning to hard sayings, lately. Pretty deep.

• Wherever there is space, five elements pervade,
    Wherever the five elements, the homes of living beings,
    Wherever living beings, karma and defilements,
    Wherever is defilement, my compassion also.
    Wherever is the need of beings, there I am to help them.
    ~ Yeshe Tsogyal

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited April 2016

I read a good one the other day in Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand by Pabongka Rinpoche that has resonated with me ever since.

When you are with others, watch your speech.
    When you are alone, watch your mind.

I would classify being on NewBuddhist as a time to watch my speech. I do start a lot of posts on here then delete them before posting because I don't think they are beneficial.

ShoshinlobsterTara1978
  • “I am a very old man and have suffered a great many misfortunes, most of which never happened.”
    ~ Mark Twain

"I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours."
    ~Hunter S. Thompson

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
    ~Groucho Marx

"Yeah, well. The Dude abides."
    ~Jeff Lebowski
    ~The Big Lebowski

Bunkssilver
  • robotrobot Veteran

"Anything is one of a million paths.Therefore you must always keep in mind that a path is only a path. If you feel you should not follow it you must not stay with it under any conditions.To have such clarity you must lead a disciplined life. Only then will you know that any path is only a path and there is no affront to oneself or to others in dropping it, if that is what your heart tells you to do. But your decision to keep on the path or to leave it must be free of fear or ambition. I warn you. Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary.

This question is one that only a very old man asks. Does this path have a heart? All paths are the same, they lead nowhere.They are paths going through the bush or into the bush. In my own life I could say I have traversed long long paths but I am not anywhere.
    Ask yourself, does this path have a heart? If it does the path is good, if it doesn’t it is of no use. Both paths lead nowhere but one has a heart and the other doesn’t. One makes for a joyful journey and as long as you follow it you are one with it.The other will make you curse your life. One makes you strong, the other weakens you.

Before you embark on any path ask the question, does this path have a heart? If the answer is no, you will know it and then you must choose another path.The trouble is that nobody asks the question. And when a man finally realizes that he has taken a path without a heart, the path is ready to kill him. At that point very few men can stop to deliberate and leave the path. A path without a heart is never enjoyable.You have to work hard even to take it. On the other hand, a path with heart is easy. It does not make you work at liking it.
    I have told you that to choose a path you must be free from fear and ambition.The desire to learn is not ambition. It is our lot as men to want to know.
    The path without a heart will turn against men and destroy them. It does not take much to die and to seek death is to seek nothing.

For me there is only traveling on the paths that have a heart. On any path that may have a heart.There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge for me is to traverse its full length.
    And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly!"
    Don Juan Matus

BunksJeffreysilver
  • "You're all perfect already, but you could all use a little improvement."
    Suzuki Roshi

Bunks

"Zen will never say anything to you-If it does, it's only because you are making it up!"

From "Buddhism Is Not What You Think: Finding Freedom Beyond Beliefs" ~Steve Hagen~

Bunks