Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

New? Introduce Yourself to NB Members!

Comments

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Hi newbies and lurkers!!! =)

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Welcome to @Komorebi and @racerska! Nice to meet you. There's quite a few of us here who were raised in Christian settings.

• EmmalouEmmalou Tx Explorer

Hello my name is Emma. I'm a Texas girl I have a little one she's almost one. My hobbies are painting, hiking, anything outdoors, I love science and inspirational documentaries. And also quiet time is much appreciated when it does happen lol

StingRay

Welcome @Emmalou

• StevieDStevieD Sheffield New

Hi everyone. My name is Steve. I am an English language teacher from England. I am in a busy phase of my life with three young children under the age of 5!

I've recently had a few months off work recovering from glandular fever. Has anyone had this? It results in having very limited energy ! The silver lining - it has given me some time to reflect on life. I've started meditating each day and have felt some real benefits.

I'm looking forward to learning some tips on meditation on the message boards and discussing how Buddhist teachings can relate to the modern world.

Walker
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Hello @StingRay and welcome. I moved your introductory post to the New Member's thread. Nice to meet you. :)

StingRay
  • @StingRay said:
    Hi everyone. I have practiced on and off for the last 10 years.

Welcome @StingRay I may know one of your relatives MettaRay ... <3
    http://yinyana.tumblr.com/post/36275373549/what-is-the-metta-ray

Welcome to everyone at this festive time of sitting under the tree with presence or presents and spreading goodwill in all directions.

StingRay
  • StingRayStingRay Glasgow Explorer
    edited December 2015

Thanks federica and lobster for both your warm welcomes much appreciated

edited December 2015

Welcome to @StevieD and @StingRay

@StevieD While I don't have any experience with Glandular Fever, I have had a few severe Ulcerative Colitis attacks that resulted in hospitalization. The last one, about 3 years ago, I could barely walk up a flight of stairs... Hope you are on the road to recovery. =)

StingRay
  • Hi Everybody,

Thank you for accepting me!
    I'm a real newby: I started a daily meditation practice only 18 months or so ago, after having taken a course in mindfulness. It was an excellent one but I wanted to dig further, and therefore I took a few Wildmind online courses. That's all I've ever done, but I'm really fascinated by the subject, and looking forward to a lot of learning!
    Joining the local sangha is not practical, and I was very lucky to stumble upon this discussion forum.
    I love running, hiking, cycling and X-country skiing. Meditating on the bike is a bit dangorous though... =)

lobster

Welcome @littlestudent Nice to meet you.

• Thank you, Walker!

• Hello!

I'm 23 and kind of new to Buddhism. I grew up in a Buddhist household but i didn't really get into it until recently. My parents didn't teach me much so i only know the basic ideals like reincarnation, karma, praying to Buddha and such. Right now I'm going through a finding phase in my life. To answer the question: What is the path to happiness? I've started the journey by researching more in detail about Buddhism. So far there's a lot of new things I'm learning that inspire me to try harder and find my inner peace. What exciting things that may lay ahead!

namarupaWalkerRuddyDuck9
  • FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Gassho to all. I am 72 years old, living in southcentral Alaska. I have called myself a Buddhist for 40 years or so, but have had little real contact with other Buddhists - or with much of anyone else, really - and have relied largely on reading for guidance. I sat for a time with a group of Soto Zen monks, many years ago, and later with a small group led by a Tibetan expat, which I remember rather fondly for the way the meditations seemed to be directed by the cats and dogs of the household as they moved in and out among the sitters, or erupted into fits of barking and turmoil in distant parts of the house.

Although I have called myself Buddhist, it might be more accurate to say that Buddhism represents my religious preference. Alan Watts, as I recall, declined to label himself as a Buddhist because - paraphrasing here - that would be tantamount to sticking the sky into a box and tying it up with a string. I am pretty much of this mind myself.

In any case, I thought that it was high time for me to discover what other Buddhists like to talk about, and this seemed like a reasonable place to begin.

WalkerProgmanlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Hi everyone, I'm new here too. Just to give a quick sketch of myself, I am 43 years old, from the Netherlands where I live on the beach close to Amsterdam. My professional background is in engineering and software development, with a few artistic side jaunts, I am currently taking a career break, doing a website project I deeply believe in.

As of a few years ago I have been reclaiming my spiritual past, which goes back to my childhood, and it has led me to Buddhism, and I have been very much inspired by what I have been reading over the last year. But now I am reaching a point where I feel it would be worthwhile to discuss a few things in more depth, and it's nice to have a sangha.

I have just started a study course at a nearby Tibetan Buddhist centre, and I'm really encouraged by how many people I am encountering who are beautiful inside.

Walker
  • meteorshower01meteorshower01 Manila Explorer

Hello and Mabuhay!

Jacob from Philippines..Glad to be here..

As for me, Im a ordinary guy, living an ordinary life that is extraordinarily great!

Peace to All.

Walker
  • SwaroopSwaroop India Veteran

Hi everyone
    I am a 54 year old doctor living in rural south india. I got into mindfulness reading Thitch Nhat Hanh. He says that for the seed of mindfulness to sprout and thrive the protective environment of a Sangha is necessary. And so, after a long search, here I am.

WalkerlobsterRuddyDuck9mmo
  • losingthemindlosingthemind Little Rock, AR New

Hello, everyone. I am Amy from Arkansas, and I come to Buddhism from a Baptist upbringing here. I practice with a sangha and am very happy.

As far as hobbies, interests, etc...well, I love to walk and am interested in yoga and natural living. I also love knitting, crochet, macrame, and other things too numerous to count.

WalkerSwaroop
  • GrooverGroover England. Explorer

Hello world.I'm Groover,I have studied and practised Buddhism for nigh on 30 years now. I take what I feel works for me from different traditions.

WalkerlobsterBunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Vastmind said:
    Hi newbies and lurkers!!! =)

<3 Well said. Where would we be without newbie (beginner) mind and lurking with intent to post ... one day ... or every day in my case :3

Welcome one and all <3

Vastmind
    edited May 2016

Funny how after a retreat ...I feel like a newbie again. :o Oh well....I'll be back to chatty Cathy before we know it. =)

silver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Welcome, @BoundlessAwakening ! Enjoy your stay, and pitch right in!
    Please be aware that if you seek Buddhist perfection - well, we are far from that - but we do enjoy good animated discussions! Join us on the walk!

BunksVastmind
  • Hi! I am a newly practicing Buddhist. My journey to Buddhism was kind of complicated and still is. Anyway, I'm here to learn more about Buddhism. I've got the basics down, but I'm still very much a newbie.

WalkerRuddyDuck9BoundlessAwakening

Hi @CrystalW - Don't worry - everyone's journey to Buddhism has complications, you're not alone! As for learning - Join the club! It never stops you know, this learning process! Enjoy!

RuddyDuck9
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Welcome @CrystalW - nice to meet you.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited July 2016

@federica said: everyone's journey to Buddhism has complications..

You had complications?! Sheer luxury! We never had compli - oh, hang on a minute... :p

RuddyDuck9federicaSwaroop

Welcome @LadyLou99 - hope you find some interesting and helpful posts on here!

LadyLou99
    edited August 2016

Hello @LadyLou99 :) Nice to meet you. See you around....

LadyLou99
  • @Bunks said:
    Welcome @LadyLou99 - hope you find some interesting and helpful posts on here!

Already have :D There is so much to learn :D Thanks for the welcome :3 I like being welcomed ;D

@Vastmind said:
    Hello @LadyLou99 :) Nice to meet you. See you around....

Nice to meet you too :D

Bunks
  • Hello, my name is Rich.

I came across this site while researching places to learn and study Buddhism. Unfortunately the places nearest to me are quite far, making it hard to be able to make classes or discussions. So for the most part I have had to resort to reading, but that makes it hard to ask questions. I joined with the hopes of finding a group that has similar interest in learning and discussions.

A little about me:

I am fairly new to Buddhism, but somehow it seems very familiar to me.

In my early teens, a teacher of mine introduced me to meditation (breathing techniques) in order to help me “slow down” and focus. I have carried this with me ever since, and have used meditation often when I have had the need to focus or think deeply about why something is bothering me. Sometimes I incorporate journal writing into this as well.

I have always had a very active mind, and a desire to understand things around me. In particular I have always found people and their reactions to others, and how this plays a larger role in society to be a great fascination. I decided long ago from my own life experiences, that my wants and expectations were the cause of many unhappy times in my life. The greater the expectation the greater the disappointment when things went wrong etc.

I have typically tried to live a life based around integrity, honesty, and virtue. Whenever I have stepped away from those fundamentals, life has had a way of slapping me in the face. I was recently led to Buddhism (without telling the whole story), after a series of realizations in my life which led me to the Four Noble Truths. So here I am.

BunksWalkerCinorjerlobster

Welcome @Richdawson - hope you're staying cool their in Arizona!

I can relate to your I am fairly new to Buddhism, but somehow it seems very familiar to me - I felt the same way. It was like I'd always been a Buddhist but didn't realise it.

Hello @Richdawson, nice to meet you and thank you for dropping in! Stick around, read, peruse, and ask whatever you want!

• Welcome to everyone. Eager to hear your thoughts in the forum.

lobster
  • Hi Searn.
    I work in facilities management. Your job is one of the toughest -- constant clash of cultures -- but also one of the most critically important. Never let up!

Oh, and welcome!

Hello, @Searn, nice to meet you. Settle right down, and join in wherever you may wish.

• SearnSearn Ft. Worth, TX New

Steve_B and Federica,

Thank you for the welcome!

BunksCinorjer

I bet you can't cook.... ;)

I know very little about Japanese culture, but am drawn to it, and absolutely adore the cuisine. If I could live on it, and it alone, I would be as happy as a piglet in a mud bath....
    I constantly watch youtube videos of different aspects of Japan, particularly regarding its culinary 'peculiarities', like seaweed cultivation, and the making of Nukazuke...

It's very good to meet you, BB.

lobster
  • BrownbuddhaBrownbuddha Osaka, Japan Explorer

Hahaha, My wife, ex-girl friends, mates LOVE my cooking! Even more so when I add my home garden grown veggies! :-P

BunksCinorjer

B)

federica
  • Hello there! It is an honor to be a part of the NewBuddhist sangha.

WalkerlobsterBunksCinorjer

@Spekter, you're so right! :lol:
    Welcome! Enjoy your sojourn with us!

lobsterSpekter

@Spekter: welcome from one newbie to another. =)

lobsterSpekter