Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Bad Experience The Other Day

comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
edited August 2005 in Sanghas
My wife and daughter saw th eBuddhist monks her ein town at this one house by my wife's grandmother's house. I picked my daughter up on friday and she pointed out the house. The people that lived there were outside so I figured I would ask about the monks. I was very polite and I asked said my daughter saw the monks here.

The lady gave me a disgusted look and said, "Yeah,so?"

I couldn't believe her attitude. I asked her if there was a sngha around here and she had no idea what I was talking about. I then asked if there was a temple. She just turned around and ignored me and went back to washing her car.

I couldn't belive it for about an hour after that. It made me kind of sad.

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited July 2005
    That is sad. Maybe she was afraid that people would think she was weird or that she would be labeled a cult member or something, and so she was defensive :(
  • comicallyinsanecomicallyinsane Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Maybe she was just a rude jerk? I tend to think that's what she was.
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    That is odd. Sad that she put up her defenses so quickly.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Yes,

Now you have a new duty/opportunity/experience, Comic.

You can let people know that being a Buddhist isn't something that causes you to sneer and act unseemingly. Following the teachings of Buddha is something that brings peace and harmony to your life. It provides you with clarity, kindness and compassion for your fellow man.

Michael
    edited July 2005
    I will tell you this. I learned something from my experience and it has made me want to get a group together here. I have not been able to find any type of Buddhist anything here and now I find a link to the monks that live here and it turned out to be an aweful experience. I will never be like that lady. I have an experience Buddhist guy I know here. I am going to talk to him about getting something together. :bigclap:
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Good luck. Hope it goes well. What would you say to the mean lady if she was to show up? ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Hmmm. That is odd. I wonder what sort of temple they were from. If I remember the name of your town it could have been a Lao temple.

Wat Lao Porterville
    928 West Putnam Ave.
    Porterville, CA 93257
    Tel: 209-784-5537

In any event starting your own "sangha" is a very good idea. It helps to have local people who are interested in Buddhism to study and practice with. Good luck.
    edited July 2005
    Elohim, that address is a small house that the monks used to live in. The information is outdated. I have already driven by and I have a friend who lives a few houses dwon. She told me that there was a fire there a couple years ago and th emonks moved. I see them from time to time. I think if I see them next time I will try and see if they speak english. I figure starting my own thing will get some more experienced members there to do the teaching, I hope. At least I will try. And if that lady shows up I will show her the kindness she wouldn't show me. :)
  • emmakemmak Veteran
    edited July 2005
    Good work. She will feel bad for shunning you. Maybe.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited July 2005
    Huh. Sorry I couldn't be over more help then. :( Good luck on tracking them down!
    edited July 2005
    Thank you for the effort. You should just drive out here and help me. LOL
  • NoiNoi
    edited July 2005
    Comicallyinsane,
    I'm sorry about your bad experience the other day. Maybe that lady was having a bad day, and you were the first person she had to lash out at. Maybe, she lacks self composure, and maybe she's not a buddhist at all, or even relates herself to any religious organization. But if you're ever in Nashville Tn, please feel free to stop by our Laos Buddhist Temple. All are welcomed!!! It would be a pleasure to have you as a guest!
    edited July 2005
    Thank you. If for some reason I find myself in Nashville I will let you know. I have decided to just not worry about this lady. If she wants to act like she did it's her loss.
  • angulimalaangulimala Veteran
    edited August 2005
    hi comic,
    sorry to hear your experience. not all buddhists are warm, kindhearted. there are some buddhist jerks too.in my home town the christians are more friendly to new people who just visit their church.
    edited August 2005
    Thanks. She didn't act like I expected. I figure just being a decent person without being a Buddhist is good enough for most. Oh well. I would get better treatment from a bum on the street who I didn't give any change to.
  • edited August 2005
    She may have not been the Buddhist of the house. Maybe her husband, child, or roommate is the buddhist and she is less than pleased about it.
    edited August 2005
    No she was young. Her husband was standing right there and when I said excuse me he motioned for her to turn around. The other guy in the back was yelling as to what was going on. It was a little hostile response.