Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

John Oliver lays out some corruption

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I'm not sure that this belongs on a Buddhist bulletin board, but it lit my hair on fire as few things have recently. Delete if necessary.

Yes, there are free-loaders, but there are also people who find themselves in debt for reasons beyond their control. Debt collectors who toy with people whose health is failing is a bit like pedophile priests who take advantage of the young. But beyond that, I also find it disgraceful that the same media that claim to have the public's best interests at heart can ignore the kind of information John Oliver took the trouble to scan.

lobsterhowpersonVastmindWalkerShoshinLincCinorjerRatBoy

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

"this video is not available in your country"

boooooo internet..... :(

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Try this one, @Bunks....

Bunks
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran
    edited June 2016

@person said:
    I love the idea at the end about charitable buying of debt at pennies on the dollar in order to forgive it.

There's a teeny little problem with that. The Internal Revenue Service considers debt forgiveness a form of income. So if a debtor forgives my $2,000 debt, the tax man considers that $2K to be taxable income. Some of those people may get a rude surprise when they file their tax return. They won't have to pay the full $2000, but they may have to pay a few hundred on it.

EDIT: Watched the whole thing. Apparently he figured out a way to do it without tax consequences. Bravo, John.

person
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator

Delicious. I love John Oliver.