Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Starting a sangha

Li2asusanneLi2asusanne N. AZ, near Grand Canyon New

Just taking a shot here... anyone from Williams, AZ who would be interested in starting a sangha?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

A Sangha (with a big 'S') more often than not would be organised and orchestrated by Monks, strictly speaking, with a resident Lama, Abbot, Guru or Master who would hold talks and conduct teachings....

What you might mean is a group of like-minded individuals who get together for discussion and meditation, I would presume?
    (That would be a sangha with a small 's')...

Or have you approached any Monasteries for some form of inclusion and guidance? That might be a good starting point...?

BunksRuddyDuck9
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited July 2016

Williams! I just spent a night there, on my drive from NM out to California--charming little town! I was impressed! Will probably stop there on my next trip, too. Lodging is cheaper than in Flagstaff. Good luck! You might advertise it in Buddhist circles in Flagstaff, if you decide to take the plunge. There may be students there from Williams, or people may have friends in the area.

Sophie101
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

@Li2asusanne said:
    I am attempting to start a Sangha/sangha with guidance from the Thich Nhat Hanh foundation, using their New Sangha Handbook. There's a Tibetan monastery in Chino Valley which is about an hour away, so that's not really an option for me. Williams is a very small, old fashioned Christian/conservative town (lots of Donald Trump supporters) so I don't even know if this will be able to happen, but I'm going to try!

That's amazing @Li2asusanne , good on you, well done! Being UK side the commute may be tricky... But I wish you every success. I'm crossing fingers that your little Christian/conservative town even with the Donald Duck Trumpet supporters will be open to your venture....

Let us know how you get on and if even only from a distance, can help and support....

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Li2asusanne said:> I am attempting to start a Sangha/sangha with guidance from the Thich Nhat Hanh foundation, using their New Sangha Handbook. There's a Tibetan monastery in Chino Valley which is about an hour away, so that's not really an option for me. Williams is a very small, old fashioned Christian/conservative town (lots of Donald Trump supporters) so I don't even know if this will be able to happen, but I'm going to try!

How are you planning to structure the meetings, and where will they be held?

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Here's an interesting thread:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/18704/struggling-to-find-a-sangha-in-flagstaff-az

There look to be a couple in Flagstaff. You might stop in and ask for pointers. If they're active, then you may not be able to draw from that region. Can Williams support a Buddhist anything, based on size and "critical mass?" Consider locating in Sedona? Culturally a world away from Williams.

• Li2asusanneLi2asusanne N. AZ, near Grand Canyon New

@Steve_B said:

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/18704/struggling-to-find-a-sangha-in-flagstaff-az

There look to be a couple in Flagstaff. You might stop in and ask for pointers. If they're active, then you may not be able to draw from that region. Can Williams support a Buddhist anything, based on size and "critical mass?" Consider locating in Sedona? Culturally a world away from Williams.

Unfortunately, Sedona is too far away and the "spiritual" aspect of the town is completely commercialized. It lost its heart a long time ago (IMHO), which is a shame because it really is an amazing place.

There is one place in Flagstaff, Bell Garden, which has very few regularly scheduled meditation sessions, of course always at times I'm not in Flagstaff. I just have to get creative here but I'm optimistic that I can find a few people :)

• Li2asusanneLi2asusanne N. AZ, near Grand Canyon New

@Dakini said:
    Williams! I just spent a night there, on my drive from NM out to California--charming little town! I was impressed! Will probably stop there on my next trip, too. Lodging is cheaper than in Flagstaff. Good luck! You might advertise it in Buddhist circles in Flagstaff, if you decide to take the plunge. There may be students there from Williams, or people may have friends in the area.

Totally off the subject, but I am sooo ready for green chile season!!!

BunksRuddyDuck9Sophie101
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited July 2016

@Li2asusanne said:

@Steve_B said:

Unfortunately, Sedona is too far away and the "spiritual" aspect of the town is completely commercialized. It lost its heart a long time ago (IMHO), which is a shame because it really is an amazing place.

It's odd how the forces of the marketplace have a way of distorting and robbing the spiritual of its heart. I think it is once people start paying more attention to the profit motive and business process than compassion and fellowship. It seems to be hard to combine the two, to have a business with real spiritual heart.

Glastonbury and Totnes in the UK are places like that, spiritual people have congregated there and there is a certain energy but there are more shops than spiritual centres or soup kitchens.

I did see a documentary about Bernie Glassman's Greyston Bakery in New York the other day, an amazing place, but they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Kerome said: Glastonbury and Totnes in the UK are places like that, spiritual people have congregated there and there is a certain energy but there are more shops than spiritual centres or soup kitchens.

I felt something special at Glastonbury Tor, but yes, too many crystal shops and born-again hippies.
    Good music festival though!