Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

justice

Take everything and everyone a little bit more seriously today, without getting grim about it. People may bring you requests or problems that they think are shaking up their world, and you should offer at least a token respect for their worries and needs. None of this puts any pressure on you, unless you get emotionally involved. Remember, you have neither the power nor responsibility to fix it all.

do you agree to the above?

if not why?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I find that my 'being', when I am aware, finds a natural level of consideration and seriousness, which has to do with my internal realisation. It changed, for example, when I seriously started looking at suffering and absorbed some of those lessons.

But if I try to consciously adjust it, it's like changing my balance, it feels unnatural and on some level unpleasant, as if I am denying part of myself and my experience of emotion and the world. So I generally don't make those adjustments.

There are things that temporarily change things, but generally not for very long, I am naturally quite even tempered. So i go with that flow, I have found that just 'experiencing' is best, staying as the watcher, a little detached as things move past.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

It reminds me of a couple lines from George W Bush's recent Dallas memorial speech, "Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions... At our best, we practice empathy, imagining ourselves in the lives and circumstances of others. This is the bridge across our nation’s deepest divisions."

I, and many other liberals, were surprised to find themselves moved by W's words.

ThaiLotussilverRuddyDuck9
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I often struggle in attempting at least to extend justice to others. It seems to be a life long process. From time to time the blossom of justice seems to arise from the field of many failures.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I sometimes think the kindest thing anyone can do is to be themselves. It may not be easy since being yourself means knowing who this self might be. Still, I can't think of anything kinder.

RuddyDuck9
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I believe the way of kindness is coming to learn to act unselfishly. I do not see this has anything at all to do with being yourself whatever that may be.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@upekka said:

Remember, you have neither the power nor responsibility to fix it all.

Tell it to spiderman!

My hero!

pegembara
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@person said:
    It reminds me of a couple lines from George W Bush's recent Dallas memorial speech, "Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions... At our best, we practice empathy, imagining ourselves in the lives and circumstances of others. This is the bridge across our nation’s deepest divisions."

I, and many other liberals, were surprised to find themselves moved by W's words.

He's so lucky not to be under the scrutiny of the usa anymore. Talk about a stressful job. I think it's nice that he can say things like this now without getting set aflame for it. Perhaps this is how he felt all along? He was a cheerleader in college or high school, wasn't he? I think it says something when a person of affluence chooses the unusual extra-curricular. I'm sure his entire family expected him to be in sports. Some times I wish I could get to know the presidents. We put so much faith in them but we don't know them at all... and just have to hope they have the ability to withstand it all!

person
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

here's a link. Seems cheering was a completely different thing in those days!

• IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

I don't really understand. Is this thread abstract or is it about something specific?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

@upekka posted a quotation, no doubt, but omitted to provide a link or source, or explain further what his intention was, (naughty!!) so one can only presume it is 'abstract'.

Your confusion is therefore understandable, though.

upekkaIchLiebte
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@upekka said:

Take everything and everyone a little bit more seriously today, without getting grim about it.

This should go without saying if one is practising the Dharma...Personally I don't take 'my' life too seriously, but I do take other people's life seriously, especially when they have something troubling them...

People may bring you requests or problems that they think are shaking up their world, and you should offer at least a token respect for their worries and needs.

Why would you not show them respect ?

None of this puts any pressure on you, unless you get emotionally involved.

True....

Remember, you have neither the power nor responsibility to fix it all.

Unless it is your mess of course :)

do you agree to the above?
    if not why?

Apart from "None of this puts any pressure on you, unless you get emotionally involved." I'm not quite sure what I'm meant to be agreeing or disagreeing with...

@upekka ...Does this thread stem from your personal work environment where you hold some responsibility,,,example office manager ?
    Or is this just about everyday life when interacting with friends, family or work colleagues ?

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran

Talking, no sausages.

DairyLamaESZ123
  • ESZ123ESZ123 Explorer

@upekka said:
    People may bring you requests or problems that they think are shaking up their world, and you should offer at least a token respect for their worries and needs. None of this puts any pressure on you, unless you get emotionally involved. Remember, you have neither the power nor responsibility to fix it all.

What then is the inspiration of the Bodhisattva?

In my case, I am the victim of attempted murder, at the hands of three bullies and one "psychoemotionally deaf" Centre Director, in the words of my former Supervisor. The Sangha is unwilling to discuss the demon which perpetrated this crime, making it unsafe, by definition. Its teachings are thereby both compromised and unavailable to me, and my Guru inaccessible being surrounded by self-serving administrators covering up crime. They advise I approach the Police, but as I have fled the country I am unable to engage the discussion: it is flooded (on the other end) by silver tongues who skillfully apply the Dharma to create a appearance of fairness on their part and madness on my own. The Police have concluded that the Sangha is safe, despite much documentary evidence from within that it is not.

Having spent 7 years cultivating a relationship with my Guru, marrying a person whose best friend is intimately associated with the core of our Sangha's administration, I am unable to attend the residential intensive programmes for fear of my life.

So by what logic do you say I have neither the power nor responsibility? I alone am responsible for my enlightenment and having taken many vows, including "The Bodhisattva Vow", I am curious how to act. I have seen much benefit in my own life and others' lives from these Teachings and wish to propogate them for the sake of sanity. I have been advised to reconsider my path in this regard, which is why I have relocated. However, to continue to practice in my Guru's Sangha is to face slander and unresolved attempted murder.

I feel that my Guru's Lineage and its Teachings are being co-opted by charlatanism. Do I not have a responsibility to act? Is it as simple as choosing between pursuing the Police investigation by presenting the evidence in different ways or, as I have been informally advised by a senior Judge to, "Leave those nasty people behind with the shame they must, at some level feel" ?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Moderator note: I still want to know the source of @upekka's text in his first post. If we could view the original context and know the author, I'm sure comments would be more exact and penetrating.

@upekka I DID mention your omission in supplying a source of the text before, and all I got from you was a heart emoji.

Please be so good now, as to provide the definite source of your comment so that we may better evaluate its concrete logic. If indeed, there is any.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited July 2016

Can thoughts stand alone, or are they only thoughts if we know who initiated them? Can a sentence have concrete logic only if we know its author?

What if they are Upekka's own words? Would you see them the same if they were Ann Landers'? Or Malcolm X?

I do concur that quotes should in general be attributed, to give credit for the thought and give context. But I'm also pondering the idea of thoughts as independent from their thinkers.

It's the singer, not the song
    That makes the music move along
    Pete Townsend

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    It's the singer, not the song
    That makes the music move along
    Pete Townsend

Even so I might argue that it is the songwriter's oft-ignored contribution that makes the song what it is. Songwriters credits are usually stated in the sleeve notes but rarely read by people.

edited July 2016

Oh, I don't think that's necessarily true: From Jerome Kern, Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, to Paul Simon and Lennon & McCartney, I think some writers are right up there...

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Steve_B said:
    Talking, no sausages.

Exactly! :p

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@Shoshin

@upekka ...Does this thread stem from your personal work environment where you hold some responsibility,,,example office manager ?
    Or is this just about everyday life when interacting with friends, family or work colleagues ?

not only me but anybody can apply it to both (any) situation

@federica said:
    Moderator note: I still want to know the source of @upekka's text in his first post. If we could view the original context and know the author, I'm sure comments would be more exact and penetrating.

@upekka I DID mention your omission in supplying a source of the text before, and all I got from you was a heart emoji.

Please be so good now, as to provide the definite source of your comment so that we may better evaluate its concrete logic. If indeed, there is any.

many of my OPs come from my own mind but i have the help of many authors (the reading suttas or books or articles or listening to talks)
    the OPs come
    after giving some deep thought into their writings or their talks
    and
    after the morning meditation

so one Op contains many more readings, talks, and meditation sessions
    therefore it is difficult to provide one source for OP
    it is a mingle of many (whatever i learned so far from my childhood is included in my Ops)

sorry to give trouble but i gained much much more from the responses and they (the responses) too helped me to have different point of view to change my thinking pattern on particular topic and improved my understanding,

i will take this opportunity to thank all the forum members who responded to threads i have started
    (not only kind responses, but sarcastic and angry responses too helped me in this quest)

THANK YOU

Steve_BShoshin
    edited July 2016

Moderator Note I'm sorry @upekka , that is simply insufficient. It seems to me that the paragraph from your first post is directly lifted from someone else's "mind". It's not your style of writing, so clearly, you cut/copied and pasted it from somewhere....
    You are excusing your own carelessness and disrespect for the work of others.

@upekka, @everyone: In future, please be mindful of quoting work or extracts from the work of others. It is considered plagiarism to post passages of words and (deliberately or otherwise) pass them off uncredited, leading some to believe they are your words.
    Plagiarism is inadvisable. In some quarters it's illegal. There is such a thing as copyright...

If, however short the passage, you use the words of others, then credit, reference and link is required.

In future, such posts/thread starters will be suspended until the OP clarifies and supplies the necessary link or reference. If such information cannot be supplied, the thread will be 'dumped'.

I would gratefully advise that this matter is not up for discussion or debate.

• Steve_BSteve_B Veteran
    edited July 2016

plates to clean up in the morning