Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What music are you listening to?

Comments

• FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

@IchLiebte said:

@FoibleFull said:

@Namada said:
    @FoibleFull have you never heard of sound meditation? :P

Yes I have.
    My local teacher (one of the Dalai Lama's senior monks and a Geshe) says NOT to distract ourselves in that way. That it undermines our focus and meditation.

What about making music? Do you never chant?

Of course I chant. It is part of the traditional Tibetan practices and part of what our Lama teaches. Chanting involves visualization, but it is not meditation. Nor is it mindfulness. Chanting is about setting imprints within ourselves.

tom_hittwildflowers
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

@FoibleFull said:

@IchLiebte said:

@FoibleFull said:

@Namada said:

Yes I have.
    My local teacher (one of the Dalai Lama's senior monks and a Geshe) says NOT to distract ourselves in that way. That it undermines our focus and meditation.

Of course I chant. It is part of the traditional Tibetan practices and part of what our Lama teaches. Chanting involves visualization, but it is not meditation. Nor is it mindfulness. Chanting is about setting imprints within ourselves.

I am going to have to disagree with you there. Seeing the visual of the meaning of your chant, or setting those imprints is part of a greater process for me, and I am able to incorporate it into my meditation practice as a silent chant, focusing my metta or other effort into the chant to funnel it down to its purest form.

IchLiebte
  • FoibleFullFoibleFull Canada Veteran

Sorry If I'm stepping on people's toes. I am only passing on what my teacher (a senior Tibetan Lama) is teaching us. You are, of course, free to reject it. And, in fact, since Buddhism is about what WE discover, you never SHOULD accept anything blindly. However, it is often a good idea to listen to those who are further own the road than we are, and who have discovered terrain that we have not yet come upon (and in this, I am NOT referring to myself, but to those monks who have been doing this for 40+ years). Even then, the sangha are only our guides and cannot do our work or our learning for us.

RuddyDuck9wildflowers
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@FoibleFull said:Chanting is about setting imprints within ourselves.

Could you elaborate on what that means?

@FoibleFull of course you're not stepping on toes by asserting ideas you have found to be true for yourself. I disagree with you only in the kindest way, as a means of spurring more discussion about the topic. Please do reply with another insight as to what your experience is and how it differs from mine. I by no means have the answers to anything. <3

• gracklegrackle Veteran

The imprints that are established by visualization/chanting become internal directional beacons that are needed to navigate the path to the mandala. For example the three outer courts before the final inner court. Which can be called the Womb of the Buddha or Tatagatagarbha. Not really my cup of coffee. Thus it was explained to me.

More from this years Glastonbury:

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Small Faces "Itchycoo Park"

33_3

Cockney Rebel "Mr Soft" (The video accompanying the song is quite entertaining)

snarlyspice
  • ECSECS Malaysia Explorer

@FoibleFull said:

@IchLiebte said:

@FoibleFull said:

@Namada said:

Yes I have.

Perhaps Buddhism is realization of the desire / the need / the emotion to do something not the result or expectation of the action

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

And Anderson Paak is the man of the moment. I discovered him from the North Sea Jazz Festival, heard about his star turn on Dr Dre's Compton album. But this is just superfunky!

silverRuddyDuck9adamcrossley
  • NamadaNamada Veteran

silver
  • ShimShim Veteran

Hearing this makes me want to become a Purelander...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited July 2016

Why? That is no indication of any devotional chanting.It's a choral group singing basic keys in harmonies. F, E, D, F G.. The only connection (and it's a loose one) is the illustration. You can get similar chants by Gregorian monks.... nice, but not representative of Pureland, in spite of the caption...

• ShimShim Veteran

@federica said:
    Why? That is no indication of any devotional chanting.It's a choral group singing basic keys in harmonies. F, E, D, F G.. The only connection (and it's a loose one) is the illustration. You can get similar chants by Gregorian monks.... nice, but not representative of Pureland, in spite of the caption...

They chant Namo Amida Butsu.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Couldn't hear it. Might be my tinnitus..

Shim
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator

This, all day long.

Jason

Wow, that's.... different.....

@federica said:
    Wow, that's.... different.....

Gawd!

edited July 2016

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

RuddyDuck9Walker
  • IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

The best electro-opera about the life of Charles Darwin. But that's just my opinion.

RuddyDuck9
  • ShimShim Veteran

RuddyDuck9DairyLama

Wow... metal guys can sing. For real. "Sound of Silence" a classic of Simon & Garfunkel fame, redone by Disturbed.

federicaShim

I have that video as a bookmarked link, @RuddyDuck9 . I think it's an amazing piece and I never tire of watching it. I think it's one of the best covers of any song I've heard, bar none.
    It's mesmerising, and I would think S&G would love it....

RuddyDuck9

This is one of my Husband's favourites. I can see why you posted it. @Kerome .... it's hauntingly beautiful, you're right....

RuddyDuck9IchLiebte

The music's great... The lyrics....Hmmmm...not so much..... (I also love this one....)

edited August 2016

And this one will stay with me for ever: Driving across France on the Motorway, hood down, to join my no Husband, where he was working...

(Radio on full blast, probably pedal to the metal - too fast - and dancing in the driving seat.... aw c'mon, we've all done it!)

edited August 2016

And now for a leisurely stroll down Memory lane...

and

(Ok, sorry... I'm done....)

silver
  • ZaniaZania Explorer

Loving this

Jeroen
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

The Tragically Hip Gift Shop

Love that line: We get to feel small, but not out of place at all

Glastonbury....

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited August 2016

• IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

"Your grandma probably voted for Hitler anyway..."

• ShimShim Veteran
    edited August 2016

• I decided to listen classical music more often.

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran
    edited September 2016

Always listening to The Decemberists...

• Not right now but usually Avril Lavigne. Always Avril Lavigne.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

These guys are from Brisbane and I like them......

• WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran

Been in a bit of a techno mood lately, since I discovered this guy's YouTube channel. He really does a great job with the video editing and audio mixing.

There is no movement without rhythm

A blast from the past ( starts one minute in ):

Lighters! :lol: At least modern technology has done away with the risk of burned fingers and hot accidents... (Unless you own a Samsung galaxy Note 7, of course....!)

nakazcidBunksRichdawson