Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Tokyo!

Hi I'm planning on going to tokyo on my next holiday. Just need to get my passport sorted and save up some money. I wanna go for the culture and I'm not bothered about luxury and getting drunk.

I am a bit of a nerd so things like cos play, pokemon computer games and anime appeal to me. I know that Japan is a pretty nerdy country too so I'll fit right in hopefully.

Anyway i don't really know any specific attractions so has anyone been and do you know any good places to go?

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

That sounds great, I've thought of going in the past but haven't managed to make it happen yet. I have a few work acquaintances who live there. On my to-do list was a visit to Akihabara, the tech district of Tokyo which is supposed to be the place for anything computer or game related, and I wanted to climb Mt Fuji because I am a bit of a climber.

These days I would probably add some Buddhist-specific attractions, I hear Kyoto is a nice historic visit with a lot of attractions which may be worth a side trip if you can get there by train.

• What does it mean, you're "not bothered about getting drunk"? Is that what people where you live usually do on holiday, or something? Japan's very expensive, have you looked into all that?

• @Dakini said:
    What does it mean, you're "not bothered about getting drunk"? Is that what people where you live usually do on holiday, or something? Japan's very expensive, have you looked into all that?

I have. Its not as expensive as you think. No more than London.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

What's "expensive" always depends on so many factors. And there are always ways to cut corners if you need to travel on a budget. My son is flying to NYC and spending a long weekend there, including seeing all the main sights, and spending less than $1000. It just depends what your priorities are and what you can afford. Saving and planning make a huge difference. Enjoy your holiday!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I'm British, and I avoid London like the plague - far too expensive for me!!

It's all relative, I guess....

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited August 2016

@federica said:
    I'm British, and I avoid London like the plague - far too expensive for me!!

It's all relative, I guess....

Yes, exactly. If the OP is using London as his/her norm, then Tokyo wouldn't be viewed as expensive. $1000 for a weekend in NYC? That's really not necessary. It's possible to do a 3-day weekend for close to half that, staying in the budget hotels. $1000 is splurging in my book, not cutting corners. Oh well. Everyone's standard is different.

• sovasova delocalized fractyllic harmonizing Veteran

@Mingle said:
    Hi I'm planning on going to tokyo on my next holiday. Just need to get my passport sorted and save up some money. I wanna go for the culture and I'm not bothered about luxury and getting drunk.

I am a bit of a nerd so things like cos play, pokemon computer games and anime appeal to me. I know that Japan is a pretty nerdy country too so I'll fit right in hopefully.

Anyway i don't really know any specific attractions so has anyone been and do you know any good places to go?

Akihabara is the place to go for cosplay on the weekends.

Yoyogi Koen (Yoyogi park) is a nice park.

Shibuya is human chaos in numbers and lights (cool to see but exhausting)

try and learn some of the subway map and the overground map, and get a guide book that lets you see what seasonal events may be going on in the areas you are in.

Go to Shimokitazawa. Shimo-kita-zawa. When I was there last (almost 7 years ago) it was the hippest place in all of Tokyo.

I definitely recommend getting a guide book, it'll be worthwhile even if your visit is brief.

Go to many temples and give offerings. There are few places as beautiful as the temple grounds in Japan.

Find a place to do or experience Tea ceremony once! (something I have never done but it seems like a worthwhile experience)

In Shinjuku maybe 20 minutes walk from the station there is a Royal Imperial Garden that recently (1920s?) became public access, it's a pretty penny but rather nice for a stroll.

Japanese people love to practice their English, so you'll be able to make friends quickly I thinks.

Have an awesome time man! Going to Japan changed my life for the better a trillion times.