Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

the book no one can read

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Of possible interest ... sorta like "God" -- what would you know if you actually knew it?

It’s one of the world’s most mysterious books, a centuries-old manuscript written in an unknown or coded language that no one has cracked. [Click link for rest of story.]

Scholars have spent their lives puzzling over the Voynich manuscript, whose intriguing mix of elegant writing and drawings of strange plants and naked women has some believing it holds magical powers.

The weathered book is locked away in a vault at Yale university’s Beinecke library, emerging only occasionally.
New clue to Voynich manuscript mystery

But after a 10-year appeal for access, Siloe, a small publishing house in northern Spain has secured the right to clone the document – to the delight of its director.

IchLiebte

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Its really interesting, I'd recommend downloading and listening to this podcast about it from Stuff You Should Know.

http://www.stuffyoushouldknow.com/podcasts/how-the-voynich-manuscript-works/

• IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

Oh, man. I want to crack it. This is a linguist's dream. :love:

• BeejBeej Human Being Veteran

I'm in. Though it's probably just a cook book, i'm betting there's a delicious cake at the end of decryption.

IchLiebte
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Perhaps it's nothing more than an ancient dyslexic chef's recipes and fantasies :)

• IchLiebteIchLiebte US Veteran

@TheBeejAbides said:
    I'm in. Though it's probably just a cook book, i'm betting there's a delicious cake at the end of decryption.

Made of fish-shaped crackers, sediment-shaped sediment, 12 medium geosynthetic membranes...

Hopes you get the reference

Beej
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited August 2016

If it has got elephants and ice-cream as well as strange plants and naked women, it could be one of the lost suttas of the Spiny Nikaya. :p