Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

There Is No God And He Is Always with You

BrownbuddhaBrownbuddha Osaka, Japan Explorer

Comments

• I read Hardcore Zen, didn't really get into the style.
    That God idea is interesting though...

• BrownbuddhaBrownbuddha Osaka, Japan Explorer

He does have some interesting things to say, however like you his style is not my thing, same as his music taste. Maybe that is why I do not click with his books.
    :-)

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited September 2016

If God is in Buddhism I want my money back. :p

I don't find God-substitutes like "ground of being" all that convincing, I reckon it's emptiness all the way down, which is perhaps a scary idea for some.

It's like the Buddha left out all the Atman/Brahman stuff, and people have been trying to smuggle it back in ever since!

BunksShoshinSpekter
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited September 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

I don't find God-substitutes like "ground of being" all that convincing, I reckon it's emptiness all the way down, which is perhaps a scary idea for some.

It's like the Buddha left out all the Atman/Brahman stuff, and people have been trying to smuggle it back in ever since!

What's your take on the uncreated, unborn notions of liberation?

There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/ud/ud.8.03.than.html

and

The born, become, produced, made, fabricated, impermanent, composed of aging & death, a nest of illnesses, perishing, come from nourishment and the guide [that is craving] — is unfit for delight.

The escape from that is calm, permanent, beyond inference, unborn, unproduced, the sorrowless, stainless state, the cessation of stressful qualities, the stilling of fabrications, bliss.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/kn/iti/iti.2.028-049.than.html#iti-043

edited September 2016

@person said:> > There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.

and

I'm really not sure what to make of it, though it is clearly referring to Nibbana. In the suttas Nibbana is usually described in terms of the cessation of craving, aversion and delusion.

It sounds a bit like Buddha-nature.

Any ideas?

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@SpinyNorman said:

@person said:> > There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.

and

I'm really not sure what to make of it, though it is clearly referring to Nibbana. In the suttas Nibbana is usually described in terms of the cessation of craving, aversion and delusion.

Any ideas?

I'm thinking that if one thoroughly has internalized the view of emptiness and achieved liberation or enlightenment, then what is left isn't nothing. That's where the unborn or maybe Buddha nature comes in. But as soon as you identify with it as a Self or a Mind or label it in anyway you've lost it and the thing is something in the world of the fabricated.

lobster
  • There Is No God And He Is Always with You

Indeed.

If the book has more of the same ... and it seems to ... this accords with my understanding. The irrelevence of goddishnes in dharma, is no reason to not experience 'presence' of emptiness if I can put it like that ...

Nirvana, awakening is paradoxical, it is nothing of any consequence, so simple and direct, it eludes us. Yet there it is coming and going, going, gone nowhere ...

@person said:

@SpinyNorman said:

and

Any ideas?

I'm thinking that if one thoroughly has internalized the view of emptiness and achieved liberation or enlightenment, then what is left isn't nothing. That's where the unborn or maybe Buddha nature comes in. But as soon as you identify with it as a Self or a Mind or label it in anyway you've lost it and the thing is something in the world of the fabricated.

I wonder if the problem comes from making nouns out of them, making them into "things".

• @SpinyNorman said:

Right there with emptiness all the way down, both frightening and welcoming. It's ineffable.
    Sadly, no refunds available ~ god concept sold "as is"....

lobster