Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Can the Gov't arrest me if I don't bow to the POTUS ?

Curious, if I do not recognize anyone as a U.S leader can I enjoy a cell?

RE.JPG 57.4K
Tigger

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I suppose it depends on what kind of thing you could actually do that wouldn't recognize them as president.

P.S. Tyrion only qualifies as chief of staff. B)

33_3
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

At least one of them is a space-alien from the Naff Nebulous. :p

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

You don't have to bow to, or support anyone. As long as you are following the laws, you won't get arrested for not supporting or liking or speaking out against the president. You can write him/her off all you'd like, as long as you aren't threatening them or something.

RuddyDuck9Flareon
  • RuddyDuck9RuddyDuck9 MD, USA Veteran

peaceful protest is the key, as long as you're not doing so prior to an american football match

33_3Flareonspencerstoneherberto
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited September 2016

Elizabeth Warren just raked the head of Wells Fargo Bank over the coals in Congress, today, telling him he should be prosecuted for directing tens of thousands of employees to cheat customers, then firing the employees for following his instructions, while absconding with millions of $$ of profit.

I can't wait until she runs for President!

Jeroenherberto
  • @33_3 said:
    Curious, if I do not recognize anyone as a U.S leader can I enjoy a cell?

Why do you ask?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@Dakini said:
    Elizabeth Warren just raked the head of Wells Fargo Bank over the coals in Congress, today, telling him he should be prosecuted for directing tens of thousands of employees to cheat customers, then firing the employees for following his instructions, while absconding with millions of $$ of profit.

I can't wait until she runs for President!

I'm a great fan of more personal responsibility for decision makers, to the point that they should go to jail for promoting illegal behaviour and be personally liable for certain decisions such as fraudulently manipulating the system.

• I flipped Bush the middle finger from the curb not ten feet away from his limo as he made eye contact with me (there was no one else around the area, and I know he saw me) as he pulled into Virginia Tech to attend the memorial service for the shooting victims in 2007.

• @Aybecede said:
    I flipped Bush the middle finger from the curb not ten feet away from his limo as he made eye contact with me (there was no one else around the area, and I know he saw me) as he pulled into Virginia Tech to attend the memorial service for the shooting victims in 2007.

Well then you're in the right place. Buddhism has much to offer you. Welcome.

lobster
  • ^^. Mudra training begins ...

• In USA, no, as long as the POTUS isn't Das Trump.

No, you can not be arrested for not bowing to the POTUS.
    But it would be a huge crime to fail to acknowledge the person in your mirror each morning.

Peace to all

33_3herberto
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Touching the British Monarch unbidden or unprovoked, is apparently an Assault on the Crown and punishable by long-term imprisonment. The Prime Minister of Australia broke protocol by resting his hand on her Majesty's back. He is still at liberty. Common sense governs proper reaction...

lobsterBunks
  • 33_333_3 Veteran

@federica said:
    Touching the British Monarch unbidden or unprovoked, is apparently an Assault on the Crown and punishable by long-term imprisonment. The Prime Minister of Australia broke protocol by resting his hand on her Majesty's back. He is still at liberty. Common sense governs proper reaction...

Thank you, I was not aware. Interesting.

• 33_333_3 Veteran

Four months later Trump is President of the United States and has gone from Make America Great Again to the Racial slogan, "Make America White Again."
    People are scared of Mr. Trump and will bow out of fear. Sad.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am just curious who you guys will elect next?

Seriously.....

lobsterJeroenherberto
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2017

“When the situation was manageable it was neglected, and now that it is thoroughly out of hand we apply too late the remedies which then might have effected a cure. There is nothing new in the story. It is as old as the sibylline books. It falls into that long, dismal catalogue of the fruitlessness of experience and the confirmed unteachability of mankind. Want of foresight, unwillingness to act when action would be simple and effective, lack of clear thinking, confusion of counsel until the emergency comes, until self-preservation strikes its jarring gong - these are the features which constitute the endless repetition of history.”

Winston Spencer Churchill, House of Commons, 2 May 1935, after the Stresa Conference, in which Britain, France and Italy agreed - futilely - to maintain the independence of Austria.

A quotation, the true origins of which, are lost:
    Those who fail to learn from History, are doomed to repeat it."

lobsterJeroenBunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@federica said:

George Santayana : "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

From "The Life of Reason" "Vol 1"

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@federica said:
    The Prime Minister of Australia broke protocol by resting his hand on her Majesty's back. He is still at liberty.

Which is a bit of a shame really.....

Steve_Blobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think the whole quote "let's make America great again" is very peculiar... I mean, when was America ever greater than it is now? It is still at the peak of its military and financial power, although the citizens may not be feeling that because of the depression.

But i do think the world has become a more complex place for many people - they are often confronted by people and things which don't agree with their values. The internet has made the world smaller, and we are seeing more clashes in ideology than before. It's turbulent but not a bad thing imho.

edited January 2017

they think America was great back in the 40s and 50s. When prosperity was booming for Ward Cleaver and men joyfully went to work with hardhats and lunchboxes and came home to a lovely made up wife who made a nice roast for him. The kids were gleefully spanked at school and behaved perfectly as a result. The funny thing is, a lot of this was due to FDR, who was a people's president but was a strong democrat whose New Deal policies helped to create liberalism. So they want to go back to that, funny as it sounds, LOL. But they completely ignore (or perhaps they don't., like I said earlier) what life was like then for back people, women, Native Americans, etc. It was not a pleasant US unless you were Ward Cleaver. But, when enough people gain security in their own lives, they have more ability to stand up for others. Following that prosperous stretch, white folks then got on board with the civil unrest of the 60s. And they are doing it now, too, thanks (in part) to the security Obama's presidency brought to the US in the past few years after the recovery from the 2008 recession. He left us in far, far better shape. As a result we are more capable of standing up now. Which is good, because wow, we need to.

I think they see progress as really uncomfortable because society isn't upholding their held beliefs and they are trying to put a damper on it because of their discomfort, because they don't know how to look at their minds and figure out what is going on in there.

@Shoshin said:

@federica said:

George Santayana : "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

From "The Life of Reason" "Vol 1"

Yes, @Shoshin, I'm aware of that quotation, I just don't know who introduced the word 'History' in the place of'Past'...

@dhammachick said:

@federica said:
    The Prime Minister of Australia broke protocol by resting his hand on her Majesty's back. He is still at liberty.

Are you dissing Paul Keating? One of our greatest PM's thank you very much...

• @federica said:

He is still at liberty? Some sort of oversight?

God save the Queen :p
    https://www.indy100.com/article/the-best-story-about-the-queen-you-will-read-today--eJYX859rsl

Liz power! <3

Bunks
  • The Donald may think he is CEO and thus above the law, but he will discover otherwise. We are in for a brushing until then.
    I bow out of respect. No bows for the D.
    Note: I respect even the Donald as a person, albeit not a good one. I do not respect constant words, deeds and actions which deride, device and harm large numbers of people and certainly do not help anyone save an elite group in the most surface and crass manner.

Failure to recognize the sacredness of others is to slander one's self.

Peace to all.

VastmindBunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Kerome said:
    I think the whole quote "let's make America great again" is very peculiar... I mean, when was America ever greater than it is now? It is still at the peak of its military and financial power, although the citizens may not be feeling that because of the depression.

But i do think the world has become a more complex place for many people - they are often confronted by people and things which don't agree with their values. The internet has made the world smaller, and we are seeing more clashes in ideology than before. It's turbulent but not a bad thing imho.

It seemed to me that there was this sort of switch that happened this election. Before it would be that any criticism of the US, even in the spirit of pointing out problems to make them better, was met by many conservatives with "If you don't like it, why don't you move to another country then?" With Trump's narrative of MAGA it was necessary to actually acknowledge problems in the country.

There's this great clip from Newsroom that spells out where America stands in the world that was spread around by liberals a few years back, but this election year was being shared now by conservatives.

Overall, there is no doubt in my mind that the world is a better place now than it ever has been. That doesn't mean it's better equally for everyone, middle class under educated white men is one section that has fallen from their previous place. But it was so privileged that it was hard not to.

lobsterVastmind
  • IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited February 2017

California is building some kind of momentum toward secession and sovereignty (of course something mad is always happening in California) - or we're rejoining the monarchy - would the Crown take us back? If we bowed.....? Likely not....allthough it is a robust economy...nevertheless, what a lovely fantasy - free from Trump's demagoguery.......

There is some silly petition going around MN to have us secede and be part of Canada. While it's fun to fantasize about such things briefly (like winning the lottery fantasies) to actually fill out petitions seems like a waste of time for me. Secession is not something nearly so easy to do as people wish it was. My understanding is that the SCOTUS has repeatedly said the Union is indestructible. There is no actual legal course for seceding. CA is one of the few states that might possibly have the ability to manage it, but I think the $300billion+ they get from the government would have an impact, lol.

@Bunks said:

@dhammachick said:

@federica said:

Are you dissing Paul Keating? One of our greatest PM's thank you very much...

No the current douchebag who had done the same thing.

But I'll have to disagree with you on Keating. He floated our dollar and IMO screwed our economical position.

@dhammachick - on the flip side he introduced native title. Some things are more important than money.

And he created the Superannuation Guarantee which gave me my career.

I liked him but plenty didn't. He could be an arrogant bugger!

edited February 2017

@Bunks said:
    @dhammachick - on the flip side he introduced native title. Some things are more important than money.

And he created the Superannuation Guarantee which gave me my career.

I liked him but plenty didn't. He could be an arrogant bugger!

Yeah his arrogance was his downfall. And to me, his best achievement was the Native Title. But he tarnished his achievements by being such a wanker.

As an aside, he was the photographer at my aunt's wedding before becoming a political powerhouse. Apparently he was a bit of a ponce back then too shrugs

Interestingly enough, when I see him giving his views today, he's EXACTLY the politician this country needs leading us. Shame he couldn't have done that back then.

Bunks
  • FlareonFlareon Bridgewater, Virginia New

I don't say the Pledge of Allegiance, and I'm not in trouble