Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Nature has a funny way of telling us to ease our foot off the gas... Glad you're home, and recovering. Stay safe, be good to yourself.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited October 2016

I came across this poem today whilst browsing the used book section in the OP shop ... It was in a booklet on Larnach Castle in Dunedin...

At first I thought "William Larnach" actually wrote the poem, because in the booklet it mentioned the poem was found at the castle in his hand writing, but after consulting the bible ( google search) found it to be an old Arabian Proverb Quote....

Anyhow I just thought it was quite neat.....

Three Things To Remember
    "Remember, three things come not back:
    The arrow sent upon its track-
    It will not swerve; will not delay
    Its speed;it flies to wound or slay

The spoken word, so soon forgot
    By thee: but it has perished not;
    In other hearts 'tis living still
    And doing work for good or ill

And the lost opportunity
    That cometh back no more to thee;
    In vain thou weepest, vainly yearn-
    Those three will never more return"

In other words we can't take back the nasty things we do or the harsh words we say, however karma will come back to bite us in the bum...

silverWalker

Well,along with thunder rumbling today it's bucketing down (Oh well ....Spring showers I guess :) )...
    The other day on my way home from work I stopped off at the SPCA Op shop and there was Buddha, all calm cool and collected waiting for me to take him home....(His orangey red colour got to me, he was saying "Take me home!")

silverVastmindlobsterWalker
    edited October 2016

WOW I've had a busy Sunday afternoon...
    I was walking into Oneroa to buy some Lemongrass incense and spotted a Kereru (native wood pigeon) sitting on the reserve looking all forlorn...

I walked up close to it and it didn't move... I carried on into Oneroa, hoping someone would still be at the local vets, no luck :( ...

Walking back I found it had moved position, but still didn't look good, so when I got home I found the number for the local bird rescue and rang them, I was asked if I could go back to the reserve to make sure the bird was still there and if possible throw a blanket or towel over it and wait for someone to come and 'rescue' it...

I drove back to the reserve but couldn't see it, I searched in the bushes but no sign of it,
    then just as the rescuer arrived, it appeared on the road behind me...The rescuer tried to throw a towel over it but it managed to fly up onto a low branch of the nearby tree..

To cut a long story short, another bird rescue member was going to come with a net and if caught it would be given 48 hours rest & recuperation ...hopefully after which it would be good to go :)

The guy started to thank me, but I said no problem, and thanked him for caring for our native wildlife :)

Update on the Kereru...
    Just got off the phone with the bird rescue lady, she said sadly the bird had been shot by an air rifle...

She took it to the local vets who took an xray, clean wound, no pellet inside, but it will take a while for it to heal...The bird rescue group have just built a Kereru sanctuary, so "Eva" (they named the Kereru) will be the first guest...

She said they had fun and games trying to net it, it flew into a couple of private properties, so the rescue gang had to go tramping through people's gardens...But they finally managed to net it..... :)

lobsterBunkssilverCinorjer
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    I came across this poem today whilst browsing the used book section in the OP shop ... It was in a booklet on Larnach Castle in Dunedin...

At first I thought "William Larnach" actually wrote the poem, because in the booklet it mentioned the poem was found at the castle in his hand writing, but after consulting the bible ( google search) found it to be an old Arabian Proverb Quote....

Anyhow I just thought it was quite neat.....

Three Things To Remember
    "Remember, three things come not back:
    The arrow sent upon its track-
    It will not swerve; will not delay
    Its speed;it flies to wound or slay

The spoken word, so soon forgot
    By thee: but it has perished not;
    In other hearts 'tis living still
    And doing work for good or ill

And the lost opportunity
    That cometh back no more to thee;
    In vain thou weepest, vainly yearn-
    Those three will never more return"

In other words we can't take back the nasty things we do or the harsh words we say, however karma will come back to bite us in the bum...

I visited that castle about 8 years ago on a holiday around the South Island. A lovely spot.

Shoshin
  • Still learning Swift Programming language. After several days of not being able to solve a problem, this morning awoke to the solution.

Yeah!

BunksJeroen
  • newlotusnewlotus Australia Explorer

Im wondering if you could send some good will my way? Friday I had a job interview which went really well. I so desperately want this job! Cross all your fingers and toes for me?

Bunksyagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@newlotus said:
    Im wondering if you could send some good will my way? Friday I had a job interview which went really well. I so desperately want this job! Cross all your fingers and toes for me?

Consider it done! <3

newlotus
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2016

^^.
    Lobster engages all his lotus feet.

Live Long and Prosper (Vulcan Dharma).

On my walk after work I spied Ms Hedgehog just cruising :)

Then around the next corner a proud Mother Duck showing off her family :)

Walker
  • Went to the Hari Krishna temple gardens yesterday to pay respects to our fellow Hindu cultists. ;)

Very peaceful atmosphere. Probably a bit hectic at weekends. Much better vibe than my local Buddhist temple gardens. Hope to go again for a meal (prasad) and a spot of brain washing. With a mind like mine, all cleansing is welcome ... :glasses:

Sorry the image is so large. Picture from devotee George Harrison memorial garden

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radha_Krsna_Temple

I used to go occasionally to their London Soho Temple for prasad. Yum! (in a yab-yum sort of way)

ShoshinBunks

Who could resist Bodhi's smiling face (even if his staff is broken)

Another find at the SPCA Op shop :)

Bunkslobster
  • Broken staff? Seems like an appropriate improvement. :)

That previous red Buddha I find alluringly disturbing. Even though it is a feng shui new agey statue, I have standards. Obviously I need to let them go ... ;)

Imagine if Bodhi hotei had rainbow hair or a face hood or a little wrathful mask ... Very important to respect and cleanse our statues of our hang ups.

Initially we cling to them for empowerment of course ...

@lobster said:

That previous red Buddha I find alluringly disturbing. Even though it is a feng shui new agey statue, I have standards. Obviously I need to let them go ... ;)

Imagine if Bodhi hotei had rainbow hair or a face hood or a little wrathful mask ... Very important to respect and cleanse our statues of our hang ups.

Initially we cling to them for empowerment of course ...

"Nothing outside yourself can cause any trouble. You yourself make the waves in your mind. If you leave your mind as it is, it will become calm. This mind is called big mind.

~Shunryu Suzuki~

lobsterBunkssilverVastmind

Just had a text from the bird rescue lady to say "Eva" (the wounded Kereru ) was checked out by the vet last night, and was fit to go, so was released this morning....Her mate was there waiting for her and they took off together performing their signature loop & swoop....Fantastic news :)

BunkslobsterWalkerVastmind
    edited October 2016

I want one (or two) Segway electric scooters ....

I often see them riding around the Esplanade , but by the time I get my video set up on the phone they have passed by....I would love to have a ride on one....

Also tis the time of the year for loquat picking ...The trees seem to be all over the place, I pass many on my walks...For such a small fruit, they have quite
    large seeds/pips...

BTW the bird rescue lady named the Kereru "Eva" because it was good at 'evading' them when they were trying to catch it :)

Walker
  • I am a geek.
    Bought a basic 64bit computer with 8 gig of Ram and no operating system last week. Only just had a chance to set it up.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/758554-zoostorm-evolve-desktop-pc-7260-3077

The operating systems I will dual boot are Ubuntu and Puppy Linux. Much to my consternation Ubuntu was not recognising the in built graphic card. Wot? Luckily I had a card which worked. Ubuntu installed. Puppy working. Next is getting Swift programming language for Linux working.
    https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

@lobster said:
    I am a geek.
    Bought a basic 64bit computer with 8 gig of Ram and no operating system last week. Only just had a chance to set it up.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/758554-zoostorm-evolve-desktop-pc-7260-3077

The operating systems I will dual boot are Ubuntu and Puppy Linux. Much to my consternation Ubuntu was not recognising the in built graphic card. Wot? Luckily I had a card which worked. Ubuntu installed. Puppy working. Next is getting Swift programming language for Linux working.
    https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

Now repeat that slowly and in English thanks....All I understood was something about you booting the poor puppy twice :wink:

lobsterVastmindBunks
  • Translation into muggle: I gets new computer. ;)

ShoshinVastmindBunks

@lobster said:
    Translation into muggle: I gets new computer. ;)

Now repeat that slowly and in English thanks... All I understood was something about you getting.... something....

(some of us wouldn't recognise technology if it stood in front of us, squdged our cheeks and called us choochy-face....)

• Tee Hee.
    To overcome the turmoil of setting up my new computer (a sort of big mobile phone :p) went into central London. Boy was it busy. Especially on Westminster Bridge and next to Downing Street, where they were filming a 1930’s period drama. Went with a friend and we got temporarily 'lost' around Victoria, where I took the enclosed pic. My pics must be improving as I am runner up in a local photo competition.

ShoshinVastmindBunkssilver
  • Enjoyed this documentary someone sent me by Ken Loach. About UK politician Jeremy Corbyn listening to peoples concerns.

I just put my washing out before getting ready for work...and it started to bucket down...Woohoo a free second rinse ...Thanks Mother Nature :)

lobsterBunksVastmind

Hopefully, the situation is amicable... PM me if you want or need to. Always here.
    That said, I am away this coming week, because I'm flying to France to visit my younger daughter. First time in 10 years we've laid eyes on each other, so yes, I get the 'daunting' bit...
    Will try to log in, but it may be sporadic.

BunksVastmind

Newfound freedom can become a two edged sword @Bunks ... all sorts of things might cross the mind....every choice comes with a consequence .... May you use this freedom wisely...(Which I'm sure you will ) :)
    Metta <3

BuddhadragonBunksVastmind
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I wish you all the best, @Bunks!!
    There is some trepidation at the prospect of being single again, I guess.
    The third precept is not the easiest for me and I have been on the verge of separation several times last year.
    Somehow, we're still together.
    But change and impermanence rule, so anything can happen anytime...

Bunks
  • I just got a diagnosis of dissociative depersonalization disorder. I've struggled with mental illness for a while now but I've been very stable on medication. Not sure what I'm going to do. I drive 18 wheelers and can no longer get a medical card, so I can't drive. Not even a personal vehicle. Sorry to be ranting, this caught me by surprise. I'm a little old for retraining but I guess I should try... anyway, that's my news.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@Bunks Best wishes! I hope the move goes smoothly and that the kids are taking things in stride as much as they can. If it works out, have them to see the new place as soon as you can, young kids can't imagine where you might be and might have a tendency to worry when they can't picture where you are. I was older when my parents split up and that was even an issue for me-wondering if my dad was safe and ok. Not being able to relate to him because I didn't know where he was (as far as what his new home looked like and so on) was hard. It was several weeks before I was able to visit and they were frought with stress.

Our mild MN fall continues, almost 70F today (30 degrees above normal) so we will go for a nice hike and forget the looming election for the time being.

Bunks
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited November 2016

@lobster is learning Swift? Whatever next... I was looking at it as well, trying to modernise my programming skills from C/C++ which I used professionally for a decade... Let me know if you need a still-shrinkwrapped copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for your multi-booting super-duper mega PC, I may have one spare...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited November 2016

@justushobbits said:
    I'm a little old for retraining but I guess I should try... anyway, that's my news.

Retraining, how exciting. Good luck. <3

Thanks @Kerome but I never use Windows. I only use IOS and Linux. I do appreciate the kind offer. If you are a c/c++ developer then Swift will be easy for you. It is a great language BUT you may realistically need an Apple Mac, I am not having much luck with the Linux version.

Oh boy firework night. Need to find my earphones ... In the UK we burn effigies of villians [Guy Fawkes, Nigel Ferage, Donald J etc] and set off fireworks today ... Guy Fawkes was an early terrorist who wanted a Caliphate based around the Divine Right to rule of the Aristocracy.

Jeroen
    edited November 2016

@Shoshin said:
    Newfound freedom can become a two edged sword @Bunks ... all sorts of things might cross the mind....every choice comes with a consequence .... May you use this freedom wisely...(Which I'm sure you will ) :)
    Metta <3

Thanks @Shoshin. I think I had an idea in my head that by hooking up with someone else (as my ex has done) it would somehow help me get over all this quicker etc.

I am wise enough to know the stupidity of this line of thinking. And I'm not sure swiping people left or right is conducive to developing compassion for them.

I need to make my kids and my practice the centre piece (peace?) of my life for a while.....

ShoshinlobsterBuddhadragon

Sorry to hear that @justushobbits.

As hard as it may seem to imagine right now, this may open doors to new and better opportunites for you.

VastmindShoshinlobster
    edited November 2016

@justushobbits said:
    I just got a diagnosis of dissociative depersonalization disorder. I've struggled with mental illness for a while now but I've been very stable on medication. Not sure what I'm going to do. I drive 18 wheelers and can no longer get a medical card, so I can't drive. Not even a personal vehicle. Sorry to be ranting, this caught me by surprise. I'm a little old for retraining but I guess I should try... anyway, that's my news.

You're never too old @justushobbits ...When one door closes another opens ...Opportunity knows...
    And....as @Bunks already mentioned....

Metta <3

justushobbits

@DhammaDragon said:
    I wish you all the best, @Bunks!!
    There is some trepidation at the prospect of being single again, I guess.
    The third precept is not the easiest for me and I have been on the verge of separation several times last year.
    Somehow, we're still together.
    But change and impermanence rule, so anything can happen anytime...

Thanks @DhammaDragon - when a couple are not sexually attracted to each other any more it is possibly only a matter of time before one or both stray.

That is what happened in our case.

I hid my infidelity from her for many years which I acknowledge was poor form on my part.

She was open and honest with me regarding falling in love with another man.

Buddhadragon

@Bunks said:
    Thanks @Shoshin. I think I had an idea in my head that by hooking up with someone else (as my ex has done) it would somehow help me get over all this quicker etc.

I am wise enough to know the stupidity of this line of thinking. And I'm not sure swiping people left or right is conducive to developing compassion for them.

I need to make my kids and my practice the centre piece (peace?) of my life for a while.....

Very much so @Bunks ...Your children now have "two places to call home", with a loving and caring parent in each...

Maintaining an amicable/civil relationship with your ex, will give your children the sense of security they need...

lobsterBunksBuddhadragon

I wish there was a way to keep the drama Trump/Clinton out of the Dhamma.
    No matter what is discussed, the thread is invariably deviated down that alley...
    Isn't it enough having them splashed all over the media?
    What's Dhamma got to do with it?

Bunks
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Well, DD, we have 2 threads going that direction, and I'm pretty much done mentioning them. Just gimme that ol' time suffering. :glasses:

Buddhadragon

...> @DhammaDragon said:

I wish there was a way to keep the drama Trump/Clinton out of the Dhamma.
    What's Dhamma got to do with it?

@DhammaDragon

I can understand how frustration can arise with all this talk of "Hypocrite Hillary" & "Deplorable Donald" :wink: .... however....

I find for me personally, practising the Dharma means I'm learning about my self and how to deal with the ups & downs of life...What it throws my way....

Which includes understand my emotions and knowing that the stronger the emotional response to something, the more likely it can evoke and (more often than not) sets the "mood" in motion (be it pleasant or unpleasant) for the next minutes, hours, days...

So the data received through the six sense doors/gates are filtered and monitored, ( through meditation "cushion time" and ongoing mindfulness "off cushion time" ) so as to reduce the possibility of allowing unwholesomeness to take hold and begin to disturb the mind...

VastmindBunkslobster

That's a good speech, @Shoshin, but my point is not dealing with my own frustration, but rather how people deal with theirs.
    Some members have commented that they have blocked political newsfeeds on Facebook, avoid media overload on the subject, closed twitter accounts... yet they manage to let the issue trickle down to our Dhamma posts.

It's sad.

Sooo happy that we spent a beautiful Saturday evening watching "Walking Dead," instead.

Maybe "Walking Dead" can inspire some interesting Dhamma issues too, for future threads ;)

lobster
  • ^^. Tee hee!
    Created 'Zombie Christmas' just for the living dread (our beloved zombie Rastafarians).

... meanwhile am back on insighttimer
    https://insighttimer.com/
    for a spot of daily ranting, meditation and inspiration

• Bought some Phillips noise reduction, bluetooth headphones as I am fed up waiting for Apples wireless earpods ...
    I will use them to ignore the noise currently going on as required, to play mantras and soothing sounds. Yesterday paired them with my ipod and listened to a positive affirmations youtube vid ...

Bunks

@lobster said:
    ... meanwhile am back on insighttimer
    https://insighttimer.com/
    for a spot of daily ranting, meditation and inspiration

I haunt Insight Timer a lot.
    That is where I have spent the sabbatical year I took from here.

Bunks

@federica has been really swallowed up in the samsaric charm of the City of Love...
    I wonder when she'll have time to bob up to surface.... O.o

I'd cry far worse things, @Shoshin, if I were in that man's situation...

Shoshin

@DhammaDragon said:
    I'd cry far worse things, @Shoshin, if I were in that man's situation...

And there I was thinking that butter wouldn't melt in your mouth @DhammaDragon :winky::wink::lol:

Buddhadragon

That's great @Shoshin! I love good news.....

Shoshin
    edited November 2016

So do I @Bunks
    May they be happy and healthy and make many more beings happy and healthy with their good fortune (and it is a 'fortune' in every sense of the word :) )

Bunks