Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@lobster said:

did I go naughty/off topic again?

Oh, please, @lobster ... this is the coffee break corner....
    Let me be naughty ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@DhammaDragon said:

@lobster said:

did I go naughty/off topic again?

Oh, please, @lobster ... this is the coffee break corner....
    Let me be naughty ;)

...What, again....? :p

BuddhadragonlobsterKindhumanbeing
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2016

@SpinyNorman said:

" Om...It's all an illusion...Om...It's all an illusion...Om....There is no Santa....Om,,,... "

Kindhumanbeing
  • Been strolling through SecondLife in the Buddhalands. I iz Buddhist geek!

• Came across our resident monks lecture timetable on Secondlife. He was just a novice when the pic went up.
    https://my.secondlife.com/ferox

Wonder what dharma mischief he is up to now he is virtually seven years old? o:) [OK in the naughty corner with me for 'sangha slander' - oh the bad karma ... I can feel it already ...]

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

slap upside de head, @lobster? Form an orderly queue, folks....

lobster
  • WalkerWalker Veteran Veteran
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Ah, so that is the Dairy Lama's secret! :p

Walker

I took this photo of the young monks, back in 1982 when visiting a Tibetan Buddhist monastery in Darjeeling northern India...I was travelling overland to Europe from Oz....(Back in the day when it was reasonably safe to travel overland)

They would be in their mid to late 30s now...I wonder if they all continued along the monastic path ....

silverBuddhadragonBunks
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

There is a young Indian man I interact with now and then on twitter.
    This morning he wrote to me saying "What a pity you are a Buddhist and not a normal woman...."

Sooo: are we Buddhists not normal women?
    What the hell are we supposed to be????

lobsterShoshinsilvermmo
  • I got the car ferry across Windermere for the first time yesterday...

ShoshinlobsterDairyLamasilver

Over the silly season the island is inundated with off islanders, (the population triples and some) all here to have a good time, seeing out the old and welcoming the new...Many tend to 'infest' the local beaches, for beach parties and so forth ....

Sadly seeing out the old year is also a time where some youth vent their frustration and anger at what they perceived as a crap year, by destroying property and leaving rubbish all over the place...Still I guess it's better than them beating each other up :)

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I am doing the two and a half hour drive up to Atisha Centre near Bendigo this morning for a meditation class.

I've been meaning to get up there for some time and the opportunity has arisen today.

The forecast is for 38c today (it's already 29c at 4.30am!) so plenty of water required today.

lobsterShoshinVastmind
  • Awesome @Bunks
    May all be auspicious. Do tell us how it went. How exciting! <3

I have just started a two week solo retreat (yep with internet connection - I am so lax) ... I have a portable shrine and an industrial strength mala ...

Bunks

...Which reminds me, I MUST invest in a new Mala. My only one broke last night.... :(

@Bunks said:
    I am doing the two and a half hour drive up to Atisha Centre near Bendigo this morning for a meditation class.

I've been meaning to get up there for some time and the opportunity has arisen today.

The forecast is for 38c today (it's already 29c at 4.30am!) so plenty of water required today.

So I get there and this monolith arises in front of me! It is about 80% complete.

The largest stupa in the Western World!!

http://stupa.org.au/

Shoshin

@federica said:
    I just totally deactivated my facebook account. How very liberating.

Good for you! I did the same thing about a month ago.

Vastmindmmo
  • Whilst @federica slows down her internet traffic ... this new Buddhist Mindfulness Checkout Lane has been introduced. Bravo.

federicaKindhumanbeing
  • KindhumanbeingKindhumanbeing Winston-Salem, NC Explorer

Even though your relaxed video won't play I think the relaxed lane is a good idea.

@Kindhumanbeing said:
    Even though your relaxed video won't play I think the relaxed lane is a good idea.

I think it's a question of Area and continental transmission. It plays ok on my laptop, so it my just be that you can't access the 'wavelength'...? :)

See if this one works better for you...?

Bunks

Didn't play. I'm on the wavelength of not rushing through life & someone even told me today everything is slow. / The video just won't play.

edited January 2017

@Kindhumanbeing said:
    Didn't play. I'm on the wavelength of not rushing through life & someone even told me today everything is slow. / The video just won't play.

It is a short news report on a slow checkout lane introduced in Bonny Scotland to help those with dementia, autism, ratty kids, etc to use if they want to be able to take their time to get their shopping sorted.

Nice idea!

There's a notice at the check-out which reads:

"Feel free to take as long as you need to go through this checkout today.
    Please be aware that you may experience a wait to complete your transaction."

And there are people in the que, just tapping on their phones, while the checkout lady takes her time, no doubt chats, and just breezes on.
    The idea is to also help those who are socially awkward, or find everyday situations difficult to encounter, face or engineer, to be able to shop without the feeling of haste, harassment or critical looks. It enables them to relax, and continue with what they're doing in a calm and decelerated manner....

It looks like a weird idea, but it's actually a very good one.... Life can get very hassled at times... and as I often joke with fellow shoppers, the advances in medicine and science we've made over the years is extraordinary, but we still have only two ways to efficiently shop - in person, or on line. And neither one is ideal... Roll on Star trek, when we can get everything we need through a Replicator... "Computer! 2 litres of semi-skimmed, one pack of butter and 4 baking potatoes!"

~ping!~

I am a staunch traditionalist. I believe if things have been done a certain way, and for a certain period of time, there is a good sound reason for it, and well worth keeping and maintaining.

Like Burns Night; I feel it should be celebrated on the 25th of January, not 'the nearest available weekend'.

I mean, Christmas and New Year fall on the same days, don't they? We don't change them around, do we? (Easter is different. Easter is a completely impossible fantasy, and doesn't count.....)

There is a set time for everything, and everything should adhere to that set time.
    It stands to reason, and is compliant with the Natural Order of Things...
    Which is why I shall be taking down my Christmas tree this weekend.....

Forgive me @federica but what is Burns Night?

Kindhumanbeing
    edited January 2017

:surprised: ... You don't know Burns night - ?! ~faints~

Rabbie Burns was perhaps the most famous poet Scotland has ever produced.

From ghoulies and gheesties,
    long-leggedy beasties
    an' things that go bump in the night -
    Good Lord deliver us!

He also wrote a poem to a mouse and perhaps his most famous opus is to the "Great Chieftain o' the puddin' race!" - the Haggis!

His birthday is celebrated on January 25th, and the classic traditional meal, is Haggis, tatties 'n' neeps - long considered to be turnips (as they're known in Scotland), but to us remaining lesser mortals, it is the humble swede. ('Tatties' being potatoes, mashed, loads of butter and cream and a small cardiac arrest on the side.)

He was also responsible for another wee ditty - Auld Lang Syne'.... ;)

Rabbie Burns, was a Jewish Rabbi from Scotland who wrote poetry :winky:

Burns also owned a sheepdog named Luath (meaning fleet of foot) which was his faithful and adoring companion, until killed by persons unknown while wandering off alone, which broke Burns' heart....

Oh I didn't know. I'm ready to change the subject/ This is boring.

Start a thread then. This is a random thread, with random topics, for random comments.

You're easily bored, aren't you?

Has anybody in this group ever heard of Tina Turner/ How about Richard Gere. There are a lot of people who work as professionals in the business & are also Buddhists. Perhaps people could be more accepting of me. Even MacDonald's has a sign which says "It's time to break with tradition" It's all right to disagree with another human being.
    I have no interest in arguing with you & hope you have a nice night.
    And no I don't get bored easily.

"Minds are like parachutes/ they function only when open" James Dewar / I'm cooking my dinner now if you'll excuse me. I hope you have a wonderful night.
    I'm sure if Tina Turner or Richard Gere were a member of this online Buddhist group you wouldn't be so mean or have such insulting things to say to those people who happen to be Buddhists. Excuse me.
    I need to take care of myself now.

Had a weird experience earlier on today...I had walked to the village to buy some bread and on the way back I decided to stop by a car I had seem yesterday which had a tiny statue of a Buddha mediating under a golden Bodhi tree on the dashboard, anyhow it was quite windy and I had my sunhat on, and as I was about to take the photo through the window, all of a sudden the wind pick up and a gust of wind almost blew the hat off my head, so here I am farting around trying to hold onto my hat and at the same time take a photo...

Well I finally managed to take two photos, (thinking they would be good to post here, it's not everyday one gets to see a Buddha sitting under a golden Bodhi tree)) only to find when I got home, I had somehow managed to reverse the camera on the phone and had taken two photos of myself struggling with my sunhat and the string used to tie the hat down had become entangled with my glasses strap and the adjustable bobble thingy had almost gone up one of my nostrils...

I guess the meditating Buddha sitting under the golden Bodhi tree, didn't want his photo taken :)

KindhumanbeingBunks

Awesome post :) I would say you did photograph the Buddha/ The Buddha is within you :) Katherine/ I enjoyed listening to & posting about photography since I'm a photographer too for part of my career/ Gotta cook my dinner now :)

Shoshin

I mean enjoy present tense :) The Buddha is within you :)
    Gotta have a chicken dinner now :) Katherine

@Kindhumanbeing photography is quite a passion for some members here, and there's been some spectacular photos posted in various threads... I'm not one of them though, I just use my old phone camera and video....but I do enjoy it :)

Vastmind

Ah yes @federica. I have heard of Robbie Burns.
    Forgive me. I am an Aussie. Poetry ain't our thing!
    I'd rather have my tongue cut out with a blunt instrument than listen to poetry but each to their own!

Trust me @kindhumanbeing, if Tina Turner or Richard Gere were members on here, federica would speak to them as straight forwardly as she speaks to the rest of us.
    She calls a spade a spade.
    She's a good egg!

@Bunks said:
    Ah yes @federica. I have heard of Robbie Burns.
    Forgive me. I am an Aussie. Poetry ain't our thing!
    I'd rather have my tongue cut out with a blunt instrument than listen to poetry but each to their own!

Surely it depends on the Poem? I love the Classics...

Read this one, how can you not be moved....?

Yeah, it's nice I guess @federica - I am probably more moved by lyrics written to music.

What's the difference between lyrics and poetry....? Aren't some songs just poetry sung to music....? I'd love to hear that poem set to a beautiful track of music....

Kindhumanbeing

@federica said:
    What's the difference between lyrics and poetry....? Aren't some songs just poetry sung to music....? I'd love to hear that poem set to a beautiful track of music....

Yes! I agree. I think that's why a lot of prayers etc. are set to a tune or song. I certainly find that inspiring.

Someone just saying something isn't as touching somehow......

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited January 2017

tsk, tsk

You do not have to hear the music, for the sound to be singing ...
    Thus have I read ...
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sung_poetry

And in the naked light I saw
    Ten thousand people, maybe more
    People talking without speaking,
    People hearing without listening,
    People writing songs that voices never share
    And no one dared
    Disturb the sound of silence

And here for the musical version ...

silverKindhumanbeing

Wonderful song written by Simon & Garfunkel whom I haven't heard in decades. Excellent cover. :)

Yes, I think this has to be one of the very best covers of an original I have ever heard. I came across this quite some time ago, but it never fails to stun....

Kindhumanbeing

To reply with kindness Great question :) Not all poetry rhymes. The best written poetry doesn't rhyme. Haiku doesn't rhyme. The kinds of poems I read & used to write don't rhyme & aren't supposed to. Lyrics are poems so an even better question would be what are the similarities between lyrics & poems since there are both similarities & differences.
    Lyrics do rhyme & are supposed to. Lyrics are a kind of poem with iambic pentameter usually & An A B A rhyme scheme / Since you are from the UK I will respond with something you may understand: The sonnets of Shakespeare are poems & would be excellent song lyrics. There is a similarity. I will think of another difference & reply soon. :) Have a wonderful day. :)

Bunks
    edited January 2017

Not all lyrics rhyme though... The Classic Simon & Garfunkel hit "America" doesn't rhyme, some song lyrics by Leonard Cohen don't, and 'Moonlight in Vermont is allegedly 'famous for not rhyming'....

I guess any poem can be a lyric if set to Music...
    Sir John Betjeman's poem "Myfanwy" (which of course, rhymes) was set to music by David Essex.

Video.

Lyrics/Poem

David Essex is credited with the lyrics, but they are indeed, a poem by a past Poet Lureate.

I think it's lovely....

Kindhumanbeing

True. I am familiar with Leonard Cohen's music. Some of his songs are like stream of consciousness. I'll say say typically song lyrics rhyme & poems do not. Even so there are excepts to every typical kind of writing art/ poems & songs.
    When a song lyric doesn't rhyme it is typically called prose.

I realize another answer which is more comprehensive: The intention of the writer when sitting down to write is the reality which makes a work of written art a poem/ a song lyric / or a piece of prose. When a writer sits down to write a poem he or she has the vision & intention to write a poem/ not a song. When a lyricist/songwriter sits down to write she or she has the conscious intention to write a song lyric & if skilled in playing piano or guitar/ a melody & even chord progressions. I hope this answers your good question more completely. :) Om shanti