Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Bah humbug!

2»

Comments

• Here is some humour and origin of the 12 days
    http://www-control.eng.cam.ac.uk/hu/TwelveDays.html

Catholics in England during the years 1558 until 1829, when Parliament finally emancipated Catholics, were prohibited from any public or private practice of their faith by law. The song in question was a "Catechism Song", intended to help young catholics learn the tenets of their faith - a memory aid. The song teaches the tenets by associating each with a number, 1-12, as follows: 12 Drummers Drumming: the twelve points of doctarine in the Apostle's creed. 11 Pipers Piping: the eleven Apostles. 10 Lords-A-Leaping: the ten Commandments. 9 Ladies Dancing: the nine fruits of the Holy Spirit. 8 Maids-A-Milking: the eight Beatitudes. 7 Swans-A-Swimming: the seven Sacraments. 6 Geese-A-laying: the six days of Creation. 5 Golden Rings: the first five Books of the old Testament, the "Pentateuch". 4 Calling Birds: the four Gospels. 3 French Hens: Faith, Hope & Charity, the three Virtues. 2 Turtle Doves: the Old and New Testaments. 1 Partridge in a Pear Tree: Christ. And who is "My true Love"? that would be God Himself.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited December 2016

CHEQUE PLEASE!!! Which reminds me, I need to watch True Blood again.............. Gods bless the Skarsgaard genes :awesome:

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Bah humbug! People are now plundering the bleedin' supermarkets like they're preparing for a nuclear winter, piling stuff into trolleys, but the local convenience stores are open on Christmas day and Boxing Day anyway. Pah!

• Alberto5398Alberto5398 Cahuita, Limón, Costa Rica New

I live with my wife in Costa Rica. I never cared for snow or any other sentimental references to this time of year. Many Ticos (Costa Ricans) put up lights and Christmas decorations but it doesn't have any appeal to us.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We could see quite a snow storm on Christmas Day. If we get snowed in and can't go anywhere for ham dinner, I'd be ok with that! We spend 2 whole days with family and it's more than I can take by the end of it all. Plus my oldest son's birthday is the 23rd. So really it's 3 days and no matter how much I prepare, I just cannot store enough of what I need to tolerate that many days of activities and people. My mom always has in her mind her ideas for "perfect" holidays and shes' been so stressed she's taking Xanax the past few days trying to get it all done. It just doesn't matter. If presents are late, they are late. They come eventually. We'll have something to eat, even if the mashed potatoes are forgotten. I just don't understand building expectations into such chaos that it causes panic attacks. The less perfect they are, the more memorable they are! We spent one Christmas stuck at home, unable to see extended family due to the weather, and our meal that day consisted of gas station sandwiches and Little Debbie snacks. It's one of the few times I could tell you I even remember what we ate!

But tomorrow is Solstice. Yule. Tomorrow is my day. Solstice here is at 4:44am and I will be up dark and early for my 108 sun salutations by candlelight (balsam is my favorite scent). Then most of the day spent outside, followed up by a nice Yule log fire outside after dinner. It is the one day I truly enjoy. And everyone else is so busy stressing about the upcoming weekend that I get to enjoy it with my family without anyone bothering us.

federicalobsterVastmind
  • Bah humbug!

Well said!
    I have to go frenzied Christmas shopping ... buying junk that nobody needs.

If I see rudolph, turkey gets swapped for venison ... :p
    I bet some local maniacs are singing Christmas Carols. Is there no end to their jingling bells?

Pah! Humbug! Long Live the Buddha! :p

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

No one's gonna spoil one of my innocent childhood memories of having mom put up an Advent calendar - it's like a giant calendar but more like a giant greeting card with little windows you open to see the 12 'gifts' inside. As a little girl, I was just so taken with this special thing. Lots of sparkles on it. <3

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Advent Calendars here in the UK have 24 windows...one for each day of December....

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

Yule log has hit the chipper today and my better half is baking cookies. Tons of delicious and most wonderful cookies - ah, the delightful aroma, the potent surge of lust for unmitigated gluttony! I can't eat any of them. I can't eat any of them lest I require a hurried trip to the emergency room for a colorful diabetic meltdown, and treatment by some poor sleep deprived resident doctor on Christmas eve. Imagine what sort of a mood the poor fellow will be in.

But I exaggerate. I can have a few cookies and give thanks for a splendid opportunity to squabble with Mara and his cookie-baking offspring.

So many monkeys with but a single thought. Christmas is a force of nature, useless to grumble about.

lobsterkarasti

@Fosdick said:Christmas is a force of nature, useless to grumble about.

I find bah humbugging rather therapeutic. Cheapest Christmas ever, done it all for under £50!

Scrooge Spiny

lobsterFosdick

I take the opposite approach, roaring "HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS!" over and over again until everyone else is driven out of the room. I've been afraid to tot up the damages though - you're a brave man.

silverVastmind
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@federica said:
    Advent Calendars here in the UK have 24 windows...one for each day of December....

I'm sure you're right about ours too -- I just couldn't remember how many cute little windows there were. :3

I need one of them there bumper stickers that says something like "I'm old and suffer from CRS - Can't Remember S*it" :grin:

FosdickKundoVastmind
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

we have an "advent calendar" that is a wall hanging, the kids are 20, 14 and 8 and still fight over who gets to move the bear, LOl. it is a hanging of a house, and the little bear looks a different place each day for "Christmas" so you pin the bear to a different location. Today is my oldest son's birthday, and he demanded to move it and had to bribe the 8 year old to give up his turn, lol.

My kids had some last minute sibling gifts to get, and I was pleasantly surprised that despite the busyness in town, everyone is pretty pleasant. A mild day with a blue sky helps. We also have a major storm coming for Christmas Day so people are trying to be ready for that, too.

Hope all the humbuggers have a good weekend, regardless!

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Godamm Donald Jeepers Trump: The Grinch who stole Christmas this year. Bah Humbug!

Well, I was looking to see what religion was espoused by the dark lord Trump, and found that he went to the same church where Norman Vincent Peale was minister. The dark lord fully embraced the "power of positive thinking" and look what he became afterwards! He sought for the light, and shot straight as an arrow into the darkness.
    Let us all regard ourselves as having been warned!

@Fosdick said:
    I take the opposite approach, roaring "HO HO HO, MERRY CHRISTMAS!" over and over again until everyone else is driven out of the room. I've been afraid to tot up the damages though - you're a brave man.

I tend to associate with other bah humbuggers, most of them are Buddhists strangely enough. >:)

• ZenCanuckZenCanuck Toronto, ON Explorer

Well. Everyone here seems to be mostly from the UK with their flaming puddings and flying snowmen and God Bless Us All Everyone stuff. Here in Canuckland, at least in Toronto, we have Giant Electric Moose Butt.

Merry Christmoose from Toronto, anyway :)

ZenCanuck

lobsterKundoVastmindJeroen
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

does its crap twinkle? Not impressive unless it has twinkling turds.... :p

VastmindsilverZenCanuck

@federica said:
    Not impressive unless it has twinkling turds.... :p

Aaah I see you've met my ex husband.......

silverfedericaZenCanuck

Okay...REALLY??? Your ex-husband had twinkling turds??!?! :)

Kundo

Behold, also, Toronto's awesome twinkling polar bears at Yonge & Dundas.

And no Federica, they don't leave twinkling turds either. But until you can produce, like, twinkling Royal turds (jewel-encrusted?) or twinkling hedgehog turds....well, Toronto's giant electric animal butts are more twinkly than thou's ;)

The festivities are nearly over, so nearly another year till the next round of bah-humbuggery, hurrah! :p

@ZenCanuck said:
    Okay...REALLY??? Your ex-husband had twinkling turds??!?! :)

Well I did often say "It'd be great if you could shit diamonds" but he never got close.

However I ended up with the most amazing daughter s im not complaining too much :+1:

ZenCanuck
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    The festivities are nearly over, so nearly another year till the next round of bah-humbuggery, hurrah! :p

Och, aye! Ane mair Hogmanay an we're awa back tae our trauchlesome daunder!

Kin the noo!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think we should have an extra month of festivities... kind of a post-Christmas

Please, I beg you not to say such things. My wife already keeps the tree up until Easter.

lobsterKundoZenCanuckJeroen
    edited January 2017

Decorations have in the past, been kept up and fresh until February 2nd, or Candlemas day.
    Other traditions herald Epihany as a time of continual feasting and merrymaking, until the beginning of Lent.
    Read all about different traditions and attitudes, here.
    I for one, feel Romjul should be made into a national holiday....

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It's funny you should mention Romjul @federica ...In Denmark they have Hygge ...One of my sons sent me this book for Xmas ... :)

Kundo

@Shoshin said:
    It's funny you should mention Romjul @federica ...In Denmark they have Hygge ...One of my sons sent me this book for Xmas ... :)

WANT!!!!!!! That's awesome