Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What do you make of this video?

Perhaps I've got it wrong but It kinda implies that we deserve to be unhappy if we haven't done the right things in life and any attempts to lift depression are infact useless.

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran
    edited January 2017

Did we watch the same video @Mingle ?

It's basically saying don't self diagnose, don't use depression as the reason for everytime you're not happy. We are not automatically gong to be happy and we have to make an effort to be happy, successful, enlightened etc. You know, the Second Noble Truth

My personal take on it is - people, don't insult those who actually suffer from depression and don't be entitled enough to think that happiness is going to be dropped in your lap because you were born.

And I completely agree that social media has created a society of precious whiners who expect everything they want when they want.

Shoshinwojciech
  • @dhammachick said:
    Did we watch the same video @Mingle ?

It's basically saying don't self diagnose, don't use depression as the reason for everytime you're not happy. We are not automatically gong to be happy and we have to make an effort to be happy, successful, enlightened etc. You know, the Second Noble Truth

My personal take on it is - people, don't insult those who actually suffer from depression and don't be entitled enough to think that happiness is going to be dropped in your lap because you were born.

And I completely agree that social media has created a society of precious whiners who expect everything they want when they want.

Eh, guess I read into the wrong things and didn't quite get the jist of the whole vid. I would say I'm abit ADDish with these things but I guess that's the point, I'm self diagnosing.

If I exhibit depression symptoms I see it as something to be fixed like perhaps I need more vitamin d, maybe I need to sleep and eat better or perhaps Its hormones. I don't think I'm proud of it, Infact I find it quite unbearable to tell people that I'm feeling miserable.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I don't think social media is entirely to blame for people who feel entitled. And please don't generalize that this is how an entire society or generation is, because it is simply untrue. The people who are that way, in particular young people, are that way because of their parents. Because their parents tried too hard to give their kids everything and protect them from everything based on their experience growing up. The internet influenced their parents long before they were even born, and I know far more middle aged people who are utterly inpatient the second something from Amazon didn't get there in 2 days. They set poor examples. But even in their case, many of those parents were the children of baby boomers who were the first generation to be able to give their children much more than they had. For a long time we thought it was a great thing. Turns out, perhaps it is not. This guy is probably a millennial himself (my husband is) and thinks he's superior to people younger than him because they haven't experienced what he has in his couple of years of extra life. Like my 20 year old arguing with my 8 year old today. Pointless. I get so tired of hearing people rip on young people. The kids I know that are around that age are FAR more aware and engaged in politics, the economy, and their communities than all the middle aged idiots who complain about them all day long.

I think a lot of our values as a society have created a lot of unhealthy mental issues in a lot of people. But, I don't think the # of them with severe, clinical, chemical imbalances is the same. Most people create their own mental health-for good and bad. It's just easier to take drugs than it is to get to the root cause of our discomfort. Which is how we treat every single problem we have in every realm. We treat symptoms, not causes. No one "deserves" to be depressed, anxious or anything else. But we create our own reality most of the time. So in that way, we get what we "deserve" because of the effort we've put in.

In any case, I agree with @person. His message might not be wrong, but the delivery sucks. Another case of someone churning out their mind diarrhea and thinking it's important enough to share with the whole world.

Glowwojciech
  • @karasti said:
    I don't think social media is entirely to blame for people who feel entitled. And please don't generalize that this is how an entire society or generation is, because it is simply untrue. The people who are that way, in particular young people, are that way because of their parents. Because their parents tried too hard to give their kids everything and protect them from everything based on their experience growing up. The internet influenced their parents long before they were even born, and I know far more middle aged people who are utterly inpatient the second something from Amazon didn't get there in 2 days. They set poor examples. But even in their case, many of those parents were the children of baby boomers who were the first generation to be able to give their children much more than they had. For a long time we thought it was a great thing. Turns out, perhaps it is not. This guy is probably a millennial himself (my husband is) and thinks he's superior to people younger than him because they haven't experienced what he has in his couple of years of extra life. Like my 20 year old arguing with my 8 year old today. Pointless. I get so tired of hearing people rip on young people. The kids I know that are around that age are FAR more aware and engaged in politics, the economy, and their communities than all the middle aged idiots who complain about them all day long.

I think a lot of our values as a society have created a lot of unhealthy mental issues in a lot of people. But, I don't think the # of them with severe, clinical, chemical imbalances is the same. Most people create their own mental health-for good and bad. It's just easier to take drugs than it is to get to the root cause of our discomfort. Which is how we treat every single problem we have in every realm. We treat symptoms, not causes. No one "deserves" to be depressed, anxious or anything else. But we create our own reality most of the time. So in that way, we get what we "deserve" because of the effort we've put in.

In any case, I agree with @person. His message might not be wrong, but the delivery sucks. Another case of someone churning out their mind diarrhea and thinking it's important enough to share with the whole world.

I think depression is a result of modern civilisation and would probably go as far to say its only gonna get worse. Things like processed food, staying indoors too much and odd sleeping patterns are all a deterrence from our biological programming.

Glow

@Mingle said:

Eh, guess I read into the wrong things and didn't quite get the jist of the whole vid. I would say I'm abit ADDish with these things but I guess that's the point, I'm self diagnosing.

Self diagnosing anything is a slippery slope :/

In fact I find it quite unbearable to tell people that I'm feeling miserable.

Thank god/s for that. You're doing better than those self indulgent ones who make YouTube videos on how their life sucks so hard because their fave celebrity got picked on on Twitter and teh feels are too much to cope with :tongue:

edited January 2017

@karasti said:

Yeah nah I'm going to have to stop you there and vehemently disagree with most of that.

Now this here ^^ I completely agree with.

• Thank god/s for that. You're doing better than those self indulgent ones who make YouTube videos on how their life sucks so hard because their fave celebrity got picked on on Twitter and teh feels are too much to cope with :tongue:

Yes me and my workmate have had many a discussion on how sad that is.

Kundo

@dhammachick if that is how it is in Australia, then that sucks. But it's not that way here, despite the insistence of stupid youtube videos made by people who rail on millennials while being millennials themselves (because they don't even know the difference) and FB memes and old people screaming for people to get off their lawn. When in reality most of those people wouldn't bother to shit on that lawn because they are too busy being involved. I literally can only think of a handful of people that age that I know that isn't doing vastly better than I was at that age. And most of those are in and out of jail or on drugs. And that is in spite of their parents.

We are raising this generation. If they are turning out miserable, it's our fault as collective parents. Not "social media."

@karasti I disagree with you on the fact it's not like that everywhere. Social media is a global phenomena affecting people globally. It can't not affect all countries except one.

But yes, the blame is on those raising them, in all areas.

@dhammachick Oh I don't disagree that social media has an affect. But I don't think it's entirely (or even majorly) to blame for those traits. I think social media is a result of the demands of society, not the other way around. They influence each other, of course. But if so many people have such strong feelings on the negative aspects of it, then why don't they stop using it? It's like people complaining about the business practices of Walmart, but they keep shopping there. Things don't change on that level until the consumer changes. The demand is driven by us.

But most of my point was that I don't think millennials are nearly so dire and awful as this guy, and so many others, make them out to be. I see a lot of hope in our young people here, and I highly doubt that it's exclusive to our small area. I also don't think it's productive in any way to count out an entire age group of people based on a few loud mouths. My parents age group was generally discounted as a bunch of over-sexualized, pot smoking hippies. Which of course isn't at all how most of them turned out. Every generation ahead of the younger one says the same stuff. It's just ignorant to assume that people younger than you are stupid because they don't see the world the same way you (generally speaking) do.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Has any younger generation been thought of as being better by the older generation ever in history?

I'd be curious to know if there ever was a place and time that it was true because it seems like they're always thought of as worse... and they won't get off my lawn!

lobsterkarasti
    edited January 2017

It's OK, I'm not getting my point across so let's leave it as it is.

_ /\ _

edited January 2017

@person said:
    and they won't get off my lawn!

Luxury. You had a lawn!..... :lol:

personkarasti

@dhammachick Sorry for the misunderstanding. For whatever reason, suggestions about generations just get my knickers in a twist and it was happening in 3 places last night (in one place it was utter disrespect and awfulness). I just had to walk away. I'm sure I wasn't hearing what you were saying because I was already up in arms from the previous encounter. Apologies.

Kundo
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

Basically, learn how to deal with shit instead of expecting the world to always be nice to you.

There is a book that I am reading right now that talks about this exact matter. The name is kinda funny but it teaches the same thing. It's called "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F***". It basically talks about how if you expect problems to go away before you can be happy than you will never be happy so suck it up. One problem going away is an invitation for another problem to arrive so which problems do you want. Life isn't perfect and neither are you. Interesting read.

person
  • I think the video is more opinionated than concrete.