Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Eating Crow and It Is Tasty

JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

I'm eating crow, folks.

You all have been shoving Vipassana down my throat.

So I decided to do it after concentrating my mind like you're supposed to.

I had a direct experience of impermanence, sensing a constant shifting in my body, emotions, and mind moment to moment.

It wasn't full realization of impermanence, but it was enough to sell me on Vipassana.

The Samatha/Vipassana war is over!

Vipassana wins! Vipassana wins!

karastiBunks

Comments

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

I assume you don't mean literally @JaySon...LOL

JaySon
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

And they say women are fickle...... Huh!

JaySonKundoherberto
  • JaySonJaySon Florida Veteran

I prefer "flexible"

BunksDakini
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@JaySon said:
    I prefer "flexible"

I prefer th............ I prefer to retain my membership......

JaySonSteve_Bsilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited January 2017

Oh. Great to know that the main prompt for Right Speech is .."Or else Fede's gonna kick me to the kerb...!"

KundoJaySonTigger

@federica said:
    Oh. Great to know that the main prompt for Right Speech is .."Or else Fede's gonna kick me to the kerb...!"

bows Can I call you Dharma Gangsta, or is that pushing the friendship? :grin:

JaySon

I quite like that. I've also been graced with the moniker, "Bitch with attitude" but I think that was a little harsh, myself....

Kundo
    edited January 2017

Awesome.

Notorious D-G/Dharma Gangsta it is :+1:

JaySonherberto

Can I be Notorious BIG?

@JaySon said:
    Can I be Notorious BIG?

As long as we can take your word for it... :tongue:

JaySon

Hand me my corset and knickers, this party's getting rude.

I'm off to bed. behave everyone. That includes you!

Gann-ite!

JaySonKundo

looks around

Was it something I said?

:awesome:

Gammornin'! Whaddeye miss....?

'Sup Dharma Gangsta? :grin:

Yeah that's not going to get old quickly LOL

JaySon

DG for short.

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited January 2017

Eating crow? Tsk, tsk. JaySon! Aren't you a vegetarian?

;)

ShoshinKundoJaySon
    edited January 2017

@Dakini said:
    Eating crow? Tsk, tsk. JaySon! Aren't you a vegetarian?

;)

Hehe.. My wife is a vegetarian. I am most of the time.

I never have meat in my home, but I'll eat meat sometimes for the protein (and, let's be honest, because bacon burgers and chicken strips taste great).

I'm going to be honest, I don't understand the eating crow thing. Can someone please fill me in because I have the feeling it is not eating crow literally. PLEASE fill me in.

with that said the topic got on vegetarianism so I'm running with it. I eat meat....I love meat....am I bad?

My intentions are not to hurt anyone or any animal. I love animals. Since childhood I have caught spiders and let them outside instead of killing them, I have done the balancing act coming home from somewhere after the rain making sure not to step on a worm, but I like eating meat, is that bad?

@Tigger

The first precept is to not harm life. So if you can eat less meat, then you'll be harming less life. But the Dailai Lama, for example, tried to stop eating meat. His doctor told him he needed meat for health reasons. So don't beat yourself up. Even the most compassionate man alive eats meat.

Tigger
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@Tigger said:
    I'm going to be honest, I don't understand the eating crow thing. Can someone please fill me in because I have the feeling it is not eating crow literally. PLEASE fill me in.

You got me wondering too. I've heard the saying before Game of Thrones so I assumed it didn't have anything to do with Thenns and The Night's Watch.

Apparently its exact origin is unknown but in Leviticus crow is one of the birds listed as unfit for eating and being a carrion animal is general thought to be distasteful just as being proven wrong is distasteful

Tigger

I thought it was some kind of saying or something that I've never heard of before and somehow I knew that @JaySon wasn't sitting there with a plate of crow and mashed potatoes and coleslaw :p

lol... It means...

You eat crow when you were wrong about something.

Tigger
  • techietechie India Veteran

@Tigger said:
    I thought it was some kind of saying or something that I've never heard of before and somehow I knew that @JaySon wasn't sitting there with a plate of crow and mashed potatoes and coleslaw :p

Similar to 'eating your own words'. Not literal.

Tiggerlobster

Thanks @JaySon and @techie, never heard that expression before (eating crow)

The saying originated in Britain. Once upon a time, the very poor peasants had to make a meagre living off the land, and hunting, unless for a Lord, Baron or Master, was considered poaching. The only things not off-limits, were rabbits, pigeons and crows, but crows tasted absolutely foul (if you'll pardon the pun) and even to the poor, it was an undesirable food, even if really hungry.

It is also akin to 'eating Humble pie'. The original word was actually Numble (plural: umbles) - which is an archaic word for intestines, innards and distasteful parts of an animal.

Both idioms mean to have to do the unthinkable, retract a statement and admit it was a poor decision, comment or judgement.

There are more idioms connected to foods and eating than anything else.

Walking on eggs,
    eat one's words
    chew it over
    ruminate,
    put all one's eggs in one basket
    cry over spilt milk
    buy a pig in a poke
    butter no parsnips
    have your cake and eat it
    cat that got the cream
    food for thought
    icing on the cake
    apple of one's eye
    bun in the oven
    bringing home the bacon
    earning a crust

and many more, I'm sure.

JaySonTigger
  • When you eat crow you don't need to crow about it (make constant noise about your 'achievements').

In essence being wrong (aware of the transient and changeable nature of the fickle/monkey mind/rigid heart etc) is a constant companion. I could of course be wrong but that is nothing new ... :)

KundoJaySonTigger

@lobster said:
    When you eat crow you don't need to crow about it (make constant noise about your 'achievements').

You mean I shouldn't mention I've achieved the eighth jhana? I was going to make a huge announcement then hold a celebration with cake and little hats.

Tigger

Big - hats. Little hats won't fit - will they....? ;)

JaySonTiggersilver

With figuratively big hats

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@JaySon said:
    I'm eating crow, folks.

You all have been shoving Vipassana down my throat.

So I decided to do it after concentrating my mind like you're supposed to.

I had a direct experience of impermanence, sensing a constant shifting in my body, emotions, and mind moment to moment.

It wasn't full realization of impermanence, but it was enough to sell me on Vipassana.

The Samatha/Vipassana war is over!

Vipassana wins! Vipassana wins!

I remember a story told by Ajahn Brahm about Vi Passana and Sam Atha taking their dog Metta for a walk in the hills of enlightenment. ;)