Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist Holidays

Do any of you partake in any? I have had a glance at a few but they all seem to be about festivals and being a westerner I'm abit out of reach from all that (perhaps I'm wrong)

I'd love to have a few extra days to celebrate to my year though.

Comments

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I observed Vesak

• TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

What do you do on Vesak @dhammachick and when do you celebrate it? I think it's the second Sunday in May.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

As a sangha we celebrate the Tibetan New Year and Saga Dawa, which celebrates Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death all at once, for a month. Usually around May, as it goes by the Tibetan calendar. For us it's just a time to connect, we usually do a potluck, we often watch a Buddhist documentary, our teacher teaches. He usually requests we stick to vegetarianism for the month. It is also the time he leaves to go to Asia for 6 months so we celebrate his safe travels.

For myself, I actually still practice several Pagan/Wiccan holidays, as they fit nicely for me within Buddhism. I also often take the 8 precepts instead of 5 during a full moon. Not because I think the moon is magic for merit really, but just because it's an easy reminder to do so.

I don't think I can be a vegetarian all year round but I would like to do so during Vesak to celebrate

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Everyday's a "hāligdæg".... everyday is special ....tis nothing special :)

• techietechie India Veteran

To be honest, I didn't even know that there were any Buddhist holidays. O.o Out of curiosity, when is Buddha's birthday usually observed?

@Tigger said:
    What do you do on Vesak @dhammachick and when do you celebrate it? I think it's the second Sunday in May.

Hi @Tigger - I am fortunate enough to live in an area who's council celebrate Vesak day each year with a celebration in our main park. Last year (2016) was 15 May. It was a beautiful day. This year it falls on 21 May.

combinedvesak2016.com/vesak-day

combinedvesak2016.com/

_ /\ _

@dhammachick I notice it was held in Burwood park... Wow I use to live in Burwood Sydney's Western suburbs, many many moooooon ago ... ) :)

@Shoshin said:
    @dhammachick I notice it was held in Burwood park... Wow I use to live in Burwood Sydney's Western suburbs, many many moooooon ago ... ) :)

Omg I live in Croydon plays twilight zone theme :smile:

Shoshin

Tis a small world .... :)

Kundo

Thanks @dhammachick, I'm putting in on my Calendar. I believe there might be parade on Yonge Street (small one). I remember there being a parade in the spring on Yonge Street and I believe this is what it was but did not know it at the time.

Thanks again

• @techie said:
    To be honest, I didn't even know that there were any Buddhist holidays. O.o Out of curiosity, when is Buddha's birthday usually observed?

And previously, @karasti said:
    As a sangha we celebrate the Tibetan New Year and Saga Dawa, which celebrates Buddha's birth, enlightenment and death all at once, for a month. Usually around May, as it goes by the Tibetan calendar.