Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Happy Nirvana [Parinirvana] Day. Will you be at your local Sangha?

kusalokusalo Monterey, California New

I noticed this weekend's services at some of my local temples are listed as "Nirvana day" so this Sunday I'll tag along with a few pals from my pure land sangha and attend one or two [of the three!] local Jodo Shinshu temples in the region.

It seems the actual Nirvana day is Feb 15 but some Buddhists apparently mark it as Feb 8 [disclaimer: I'm new to most of this so I'm no expert, that's why I tend to read and digest -- way more than posting]. But it's kinda cool that the weekend falls between the two.

My more regular haunt is the local Zen center. They don't seem to specifically mention Nirvana day, but it may be incorporated in some way such as the dharma talk, we'll see.

Just wondered if anyone else's sangha marks the occasion and has any observations on how it should be approached and what one would wish to be mindful of, since it's Lord Buddha's physical death, approaching this calendar event.

I noticed one Zen monastery in NE England described their event: "It is a powerful ceremony, largely in darkness, marking the death of the Buddha, with the use of light to show the teaching that though a person died, the Life that he discovered is always available, if we are able to look up and keep our faith bright."

TiggerBunks

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

As a Tibetan practitioner we usually celebrate Buddha's birth, death and enlightenment together on Saga Dawa. Usually it's in May but I think this year it's June. Our teacher asks us to celebrate for the month by taking a vow of vegetarianism. The sangha usually has a traditional Tibetan potluck, but I am 250 miles away so I don't always get to go. This year we will be on a family trip so I will not be there. If I remember right. Feb 27th is the TIbetan New Year this year.

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@karasti said:
    As a Tibetan practitioner we usually celebrate Buddha's birth, death and enlightenment together on Saga Dawa. Usually it's in May but I think this year it's June. Our teacher asks us to celebrate for the month by taking a vow of vegetarianism. The sangha usually has a traditional Tibetan potluck, but I am 250 miles away so I don't always get to go. This year we will be on a family trip so I will not be there. If I remember right. Feb 27th is the TIbetan New Year this year.

We're celebrating Saga Dawa May 10 this year

Bunks
  • Did somebody die or something? o:)

Every day is potentially Nirvana Day. Go visit a monastery whenever you can if necessary. Build a shrine or send an email if you can't ...

Jeroenherberto
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran

@dhammachick, what is the difference between Saga Dawa & Vesak Day?

They both fall on the same day so I assume they are the same thing.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

Bah humbug. :p

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Tigger said:
    @dhammachick, what is the difference between Saga Dawa & Vesak Day?

They both fall on the same day so I assume they are the same thing.

We're celebrating Vesak on May 15, 5 days after Saga Dawa.

I've been taught Saga Dawa celebrates the Buddha's birthday and Enlightenment. Vesak Day, while also marking his birth, enlightenment and death, focuses more on receiving his teachings. However different Sanghas and teachers focus on different things in my experience.

_ /\ _

Tigger