Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Just for fun: the random, useless announcements thread!

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

@karasti said:
    @person you don't get graupel there regularly? We often do up here, especially the first snows in the fall and the last in the spring. But I'm a weather nerd and track and report weather to the NWS, lol, so it's a term I use sometimes. Interesting to me you hadn't seen it before! We had thunderstorms and flooding rain the other day, we still have plenty of snow and the ground is frozen so all the water had no where to go. Just made troublesome ponding on all the roads and awful fog. Even for March, weird weather.

Not that I can ever remember. It sounds like the conditions that make it are pretty particular, maybe they're more common up north.

• NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran

Recently I've come to the realization that there are two people whom I've never met by whose deaths I'd be completely devastated: Michael Bublé and Edward Snowden. I didn't even know about Michael Bublé six months ago, and now I cannot stop listening to his ecstatic music. Mindfulness itself. And Edward Snowden I consider to be a philosopher and a very good citizen of the world.

Shoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I've just bought a small sit-on-top kayak. First try out yesterday, and managed not to fall in!

Bunkslobster
  • kerancekerance Birmingham, UK Explorer

I should be doing my uni work but I'm internetting instead.
    As you can see my time is being used wisely by reading the 'random, useless announcement' thread - says it all really

lobsterBunksShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

This is what I love about my wonderful island and its inhabitant's live and let live approach to life...This young couple are about to tie the knot....

After all Love has no labels

lobsterBunksfedericaTigger
  • @SpinyNorman said:
    I've just bought a small sit-on-top kayak. First try out yesterday, and managed not to fall in!

I nearly bought an action cam yesterday. If you get one @SpinyNorman, we can share the kayak adventure.

Purchase procedure was too complex. Did not have one in stock, was on their website ... Can get it to the store if I purchase a gift card and come back after giving out my details. Que? No thankee. Should know better than to use PC World. Same story with micro SD Cards. Only the over priced in stock. [/end rant]

Used my olde camera to film this young kestrel instead ... B)

In other lobster news: programming going well and have entered the 'Dark Web' to hire a hit man to get rid of my ego ... O.o

HozanFosdick
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@Shoshin said:
    This is what I love about my wonderful island and its inhabitant's live and let live approach to life...This young couple are about to tie the knot....

After all Love has no labels

Which wonderful island are you on?

@Hozan said:

Which wonderful island are you on?

Waiheke Island
    New Zealand

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Awesome!!!!

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

How's everyone doing here?
    I am juggling two groups on IT that keep me extremely busy.
    Sadly, I can't torture so many people on so many fronts at the same time... <3

ShoshinVastmind
  • I will be joining Internet Timer shortly. Just need to download app ... oops ... I already have it, just not been visiting ...
    ... and now back to the juggling ... ;)

Hozan

You should stop doing that, @lobster...
    Why can't you just stay on the app for good, please!!!

lobster
    edited March 2017

@lobster said:

@SpinyNorman said:

I nearly bought an action cam yesterday. If you get one @SpinyNorman, we can share the kayak adventure.

I've been having some Frank Spencer moments launching through the surf, and hope there is nobody nearby with a camera. :p

HozanlobsterShoshin
  • I transfer my pics to an Ipad to edit them. Informed my sister that even a not very interesting pic of pylons could be improved with editing and filters. New filter in the free 'Google Snapseed' app I use. Double exposure. My first use ...

Transmitting the Buddha Energy ;)

HozanShoshinBuddhadragonTigger
  • How can we advise our family and friends about online passwords? My sister works in security and one plan was in getting local resources to come up with security ideas that would help staff and could be shared ...

Somebody suggested an Underwear Password Security initiative. Treat your password policy like your underwear (usual exceptions: commandos, ascetic monks and yogis, slobs, Scots in kilts, Basic Instinct actresses etc.)

Not shared, changed regularly, kept clean and private

Simple. I like it!

VastmindBunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You mean an UPSI....? Ooopsie.....!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2017

@federica UPSI indeed ... I posted the underwear suggestion on the Puppy Linux forum and semi-people (linux geeky men) O.o are boasting of the sorry state of their underwear ... Ay caramba!

I am gonna burn the bra I don't wear ... Pah! ;)

Here is something I put on Youtube five years ago, so a little out of date and orientated towards Puppy users primarily. For example using 'root' will sound strange. Things have moved on and security is perhaps now a more mainstream concern. Some of us, our kids or more geeky Buddhists here might be considering using a Chromebook, Ipad or better yet a mainstream Linux for old hardware ...

I am Official Crustacean for Puppy Linux - my duties are fish eating and publicity. My budget for publicity is $0 - which I always overspend. This my first bit of advertising in many years. All my pay ($0) goes on fish ... yep I have to do my own phishing ... oops never do that ... fishing :glasses:
    http://puppylinux.com

Debbie's arrived from Queensland...(Hopefully she won't stay long)

...And the worst (so we've been told).... is yet to come...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2017

Do you mean @Shoshin the infamous storm in a teacup - 'typhoon trump' :3

... meanwhile in the naughty corner I just added Tsongkhapa as my desktop background and added his Migstema mantra to my 'cyber mantra program' - I iz so New Agey . . . Just found ye olde web page where I turned my computer into a shrine ...

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@Shoshin said:
    Debbie's arrived from Queensland...(Hopefully she won't stay long)

[snip Video]

...And the worst (so we've been told).... is yet to come...

That's how the Grand Canyon began, you know.... :D

lobster

True....Yesterday I started out for a walk got about three hundred metres up the road and had to turn back...The umbrella started to take off with me attached to it...

It rained non-stop overnight and more heavy rain and thunderstorms are on the way....
    However at the moment the weather on the island is not looking too bad...but the mainland is covered with a blanket of cloud ie, Aotearoa ( some translate it as "The land of he long white cloud") so it's living up to its name...

This too shall pass :)

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Bummer @shoshin. Debbie didn't make it down south! Beautiful clear skies down here.

My ex and my kids are visiting family in Auckland this week. Sounds like they may be getting a little wet =)

@Bunks said:
    Bummer @shoshin. Debbie didn't make it down south! Beautiful clear skies down here.

My ex and my kids are visiting family in Auckland this week. Sounds like they may be getting a little wet =)

@Bunks we did have a break in the clouds for a while today, (actually saw some blue sky :) ) but most of the Nth Island has been impacted by cyclone Debbie, and there's been major flooding and land slides all over Auckland too...I hope you ex and the children are safe...

I went for a walk after work this afternoon and just at the beginning of the bush track there was a mudslide, one of many...

I visited a friend's house, her basement area got slightly flooded the last time due to a land slip which shifted mud down up against the side of her house causing water to leak inside, and now it's happened again, luckily her insurance company is onto it....

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2017

Be careful @Shoshin <3 Walk with Buddha (if that is a thing) B)

ShoshinBunks
    edited April 2017

Thanks @lobster ,

Sadly some property owners were just getting over/tidying up after the last big weather bomb and now they have a double whammy ....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/91217005/auckland-bears-brunt-of-heavy-rain-more-to-come-whanganui-evacuations-expected

As I write this it's just started to bucket down again ...well the water tanks will be full :)

I've been paddling my kayak in the sea and am now beginning to get the hang of it ( I think! ). My favourite thing is just sitting out there for a while, and feeling the movement of the waves and currents, it's quite complex - also very peaceful.

lobster

Not quite in the same spatial league, but I used to do that when we lived by the River, in France. Early morning, during the summer, would find me gone from the house, and sitting in our kayak, meandering and just serenely taking in the natural surroundings. I would paddle upstream, maybe a mile or so, (more strenuous at times, than others) then, with but gentle steering, permit the river to take me back down, home, at its own pace.... Those were great days.....

lobster

Mother's recitational gift to me, today. I was so grateful, I can't tell you. As were the people at the next table, who then found themselves helplessly laughing, which was made all the worse by the expression on the face of the 9-year-old boy with them. Deadpan. Completely oblivious.

Oh, the sexual life of the camel
    Is stranger than anyone thinks.
    In moments of amorous passion,
    He once tried to bugger the Sphinx.

But the Sphinx's posterior passage
    Was clogged with the sands of the Nile,
    Which accounts for the hump on the camel,
    And the Sphinx's inscrutable smile.

(Author unknown. Which is probably just as well.)

lobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

@Shoshin said:

@Bunks said:

@Bunks we did have a break in the clouds for a while today, (actually saw some blue sky :) ) but most of the Nth Island has been impacted by cyclone Debbie, and there's been major flooding and land slides all over Auckland too...I hope you ex and the children are safe...

I went for a walk after work this afternoon and just at the beginning of the bush track there was a mudslide, one of many...

I visited a friend's house, her basement area got slightly flooded the last time due to a land slip which shifted mud down up against the side of her house causing water to leak inside, and now it's happened again, luckily her insurance company is onto it....

Sounds like you guys have copped it over the last 36 hours Shoshin?

My ex and kid's flight back to Melbourne already delayed by two hours this afternoon.

Glad to hear that they are back safe and dry...
    Yes it hasn't been the best here, and to top it off, today we had a cold snap, the temperature has drops some ....It's as if the weather can't quite make up its mind...

Whether it's cold and rainy or whether it's sunny and hot...We'll weather the weather no matter the weather whether we like it or not :)

Bunks

@federica said:
    Not quite in the same spatial league, but I used to do that when we lived by the River, in France. Early morning, during the summer, would find me gone from the house, and sitting in our kayak, meandering and just serenely taking in the natural surroundings. I would paddle upstream, maybe a mile or so, (more strenuous at times, than others) then, with but gentle steering, permit the river to take me back down, home, at its own pace.... Those were great days.....

Sounds very nice, and a great way to appreciate the natural world. I'm looking forward to warmer weather, the North Sea is still very cold, even with a wet-suit!

Bunks

@SpinyNorman said:

@federica said:

Sounds very nice, and a great way to appreciate the natural world. I'm looking forward to warmer weather, the North Sea is still very cold, even with a wet-suit!

Billy Connolly swore that it was named that to make it more 'user-friendly'... he insists it's still the Arctic Ocean....! :D

Bunks
  • Popped into my local Buddhist temple. Major building work was noisy but briefly saw a woodpecker ... Hope this holy, impermanent wooden-top in the graveyard is safe. Arms already gone ... ;)

RefugeeBuddhadragon

@DhammaDragon said:
    I have been out and about in Buenos Aires the past weeks and have a couple more to come...
    I know life is dukkha and impermanence but ohhhh... the life of the senses and beloved friends in the land of Tango.... <3

Bueno :)

BuddhadragonVastmind

For a change I thought I'd go for a walk around the Esplanade this afternoon, only to find this...

After all the wet weather we've been having...it was to be expected :)

However a young couple with children and their two dogs came walking along from the other direction, they either ignored the signs or for some reason the council didn't put a sign up at the other end of the Esplanade ...

• Yesterday caught this Little Egrets head dart to the left, a flash of silver and breakfast fish swallowed ...

<3

HozanShoshinBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited April 2017

When my now 5 year old was 2 years old and he first saw a large house fly he proclaimed with absolute calm certainty that it was a flying raisin.

BuddhadragonlobsterBunksShoshin

Ohhh, my...
    Divine decadence is killing me...
    I swear I am mostly vegetarian, but how can I possibly resist?

lobsterBunksHozanVastmind

That's LCHP if ever I saw it.....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Resistance is futile

Buddhadragonlobster

What's LCHP, Fede?

Low Carb, High Protein.... We (sort of) have a thread on it, but stupid~ass here, put 'P' for Protein instead of 'F' for Fat.... D'oh!!

Don't mind me, my brain's gone AWOL (Absent WithOut Leave).... I think it's the cheese I ate this morning.....

• TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran

I'm 18 today. Finally legally old enough to violate the 5th precept :D

Bunks
    edited April 2017

Which of course, you won't do, because not having done it up to now, is no indication that you now should.... ;)

@TheEccentric said:

Hurrah! We used to have sex, drugs and rock-and-roll. Not sure what the young-uns have now. :p

mobile phones, social media and neck-ache.

@TheEccentric said:

Precepts are not commandments.
    One does not violate precepts.
    One either accepts them as a logical recipe to cope with dukkha and also accepts that the consequences of straying from them will generate more dukkha.

TheEccentricHozanBunks