Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha's Love

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

As much as Buddhism has helped me there is something I've noticed that bugs me. The contexts surrounding his love and compassion are always universal. While this is great sentiment I sometimes wish for something more personal. I am attracted to how Jesus is depicted in a personal fashion. I feel like people can communicate to him and feel his love one-on-one so to speak. But the Buddha feels more distant. Maybe this is because I am a Westerner. And I have barely scraped the surface with my own learning and practice.

Are there any sutras or texts pertaining to connecting with Buddha as an individual? I guess I am having issues taking refuge in him particularly. I understand the dharma and sangha. But he feels out of reach. I know he loves everyone, but I am very hard on myself and the usual brand of universal love cannot circumvent my self critiques. I would like to see something about him loving us as individuals, speaking to us singularly instead of as a collective whole. I think this would help me since I have found focusing on the Buddha is easiest for me, whether it's a visualization or something else. I mirror back what he is capable of. If he loves me then I can love myself. Sorry if this is confusing haha.

Thanks to everyone in advance <3

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi @eggsavior

In the preparatory practices before meditation in Tibetan Buddhism we're encouraged to visualise the Buddha and the Merit field in front of us and then imagine rays of light coming from the Buddha into us.

The idea is that we're inviting the actual omniscient Buddha into the room with us.

This may be something you could explore as it's helped me feel a closer connection to him in my life.

http://thubtenchodron.org/2011/06/meditation-ritual/

Lama Zopa Rinpoche actually says we should visualise the Buddha at our heart all day every day so we can continue to make offerings to him throughout the day and night. It's very beautiful!

Shoshin
  • This is a good question. I don't know the answer to your question but I think that Buddha did receive visitors at times. I don't know if he had one on one conversations with them. Hopefully someone answers your question soon.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

You may also find this Meditation on the Buddha useful

http://thubtenchodron.org/1993/02/guided-meditation/

• ZeroZero Veteran

@eggsavior said:
    As much as Buddhism has helped me there is something I've noticed that bugs me. The contexts surrounding his love and compassion are always universal. While this is great sentiment I sometimes wish for something more personal. I am attracted to how Jesus is depicted in a personal fashion. I feel like people can communicate to him and feel his love one-on-one so to speak. But the Buddha feels more distant. Maybe this is because I am a Westerner. And I have barely scraped the surface with my own learning and practice.

For me, practice translates into the process of uncovering the personal illusion rather than to communicate with an imaginary person or to attribute a sensation to an imaginary source... in a sense perhaps, learning to communicate honestly with myself.

Buddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

For me, part of the benefit of Buddhism has been an increased connection with everyone else. HHDL does this amazingly well, with how he interacts with every person in front of him as if they are the most important person in the world. I don't think Buddha was really about us connecting with him. He didn't want to be seen as a god in that way. But for us to connect with ourselves and let that connection flow out to the world. I'd focus on ways to do that, personally. In the end, it'll have a lot more meaning than a connection to someone who died 2600 years ago.

• @eggsavior. I think what you are seeking can be found in Kuan Shih Yin Pusa. Many Asian buddhists I have known would tell you of her great compassion. But there is a fine book by John Blofeld."Bodhisattva of Compassion". Please read it.

Buddhadragon
  • Tee Hee. Agree with @Omar067 it is a good question.
    However like much initial Christian Mysticism it is back to front ... :o

It is not how much 'Buddha or Jesus Loves You'. It is how much you love. <3

In dharma this is achieved through devotion to the three jewels. In Tantra devotion to the Perfect Guru/Lama/Buddha rep. In chant based Pureland, Nichiren etc, we love 'The Word'. o:)

Increase in Love as the Sufi Bodhi advise ...
    https://studybuddhism.com/en/buddhism-in-daily-life/what-is/what-is-love

Fosdickherberto
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I think the reason I was so taken by Buddhism is because one of the many books I read when I first had a thirst for more knowledge about Buddhism was Master TNH's biography, Old Path White Clouds. Please, just read it and see what I mean. And I deeply appreciate what @Federica posted above about Jesus. That helps a lot in setting the record straight about the kind of life Jesus led and the romanticizing of him that has been done in modern times.

FosdicklobsterBuddhadragon
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

Thanks all for your responses. Tonight and tomorrow I'll be busy with St Patrick's celebration (I'm not going to be straying from the dharma TOO much :p ). I will reply in full tomorrow night or Saturday. It means a lot and you've given me a lot to think about. Namaste to all <3

• ^^. Bodhi/Daka/St Patrick ridded Ireland of snakes/nagas/pagans. He is a Green Man. An immortalized human like Khidr, Padmasambhava, Yudhishthira, Robin Hood and William Tell. o:)

Just because they do not exist does not mean

they do not exist ... on some level ... the inner planes so to speak . . .

• In heaven there is no beer. That’s why we drink it here!

• Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip.

• ‘Love is never defeated, and I could add, the history of Ireland proves it.’ — Pope John Paul II

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit!
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/03/17/st-patricks-day-quotes-irish-quotes-sayings-and-messages-to-share-on-saint-patricks-day-2016-5757824/

• I agree with everything that @federica said

I would only add that the historical buddha never stood for promoting religion, god, god's son, or love, but about relieving suffering in a certain way - which works...

lobster
  • @satcittananda said:
    - which works...

This is the only experiential claim, @satcittananda, I, the Sangha and millions of practitioners make:

Buddhist Dharma works!

Our open source teachings provide for confirmation of our psychological insight, understanding of the nature of the mind constructs and its limitations.

We have recommendations: sila, meditation, metta, concentration and extreme haircuts. :glasses:

We do not guarantee liberation but many of us have tasted the fruits. We have entered the stream and are on The Way ... o:)

https://spiritofrebellion.wordpress.com/tag/metta/

satcittananda
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited March 2017

^^. Bodhi/Daka/St Patrick ridded Ireland of snakes/nagas/pagans.

Ay caramba, Our beloved grammar nerd may be on temp vacation. Should have said 'rid'. :3

Talking of Dharma punks and our moderator ...
    Time for a reminder on the levels of insight, before trolls, the combative and others get their wishes fulfilled ... Bless!
    https://tinyurl.com/kotrudx

As some know I do feed the trolls ... I like to fatten them up for when they get invited to the nearest hell realm of their own making. o:)
    http://www.strippingthegurus.com/stgsamplechapters/trungpa.html
    It is the loving thing to do. LOL <3

For most of us beginners, manifesting the wrathful nature of love hurts only us. Therefore it must be used very compassionately, sparingly and skilfully. o:) Are we there yet?

Big, boots ... always available. Are you ready?

Adopt a demon today ... they are just masked metta ;)
    http://www.khandro.net/deities_wrathful.htm

We never gets to keep a pet troll for long ... :cry:

"He alone has the right to break,
    for he alone has the power to mend.
    He that knows how to sew together
    knows how to tear apart:
    whatever He sells,
    He buys something better in exchange.
    He lays the house in ruins;
    then in a moment
    He makes it more liveable than before."

Rumi, Mathnawi I, 3882

satcittananda
  • satcittanandasatcittananda UK Veteran
    edited March 2017

WOW! love that video!

What were you saying? I'm sure it was interesting....

federicalobster

I've read all of what you said and reflected on it. Especially why I was attracted to Jesus as a figure. I still respect him as a being to emulate. After this post I began reading the Dhammapada again and remembered many core dharma teachings. I've been putting them into practice. As what many of you said, being closer to the dharma has made me feel closer to Buddha. To follow in his footsteps. I look to compassion as a concept for inspiration and strength now instead of a figure, Jesus Buddha or otherwise. It feels more pure and closer to a true incarnation of Love.

lobster

"Buddhas just proclaim the Path
    but you’re the ones to strive."

This verse was very powerful to me as well

• Buddhas do but point the Way,
    It is for you to swelter at the task.

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran
    edited April 2017

@eggsavior said:
    Are there any sutras or texts pertaining to connecting with Buddha as an individual? I guess I am having issues taking refuge in him particularly. I understand the dharma and sangha. But he feels out of reach.

Thanks to everyone in advance <3

Actually on his death bed Gotama suggested that the Dhamma be our refuge. And not him. It is a bit difficult connecting with a 2500 year dead guy =) . But hey, I am from a Theravada tradition and probably of less help to you than the others here.

What I can connect to is actually the Dhamma. It is very connectable...

Much of the Buddhas sentiment can be understood from the scriptures and seeing how the logic in them emerge one can fathom how he was as a person.

Pretty tough, if you ask me. Very keen. Pretty "no nonsense" kind of guy. But a Big Heart.

I know not much about the sutras you asked for but I do have some suttas if you are interested?

@Victorious yes I would love to look at some! Thank you. Right now I am not part of a certain sect or anything. There was a website I can find later that I used to read/listen a lot that had suttas

• VictoriousVictorious Grim Veteran

A little about how he saw himself. Very philosophical but still this view of himself is mentioned in several places.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an04/an04.036.than.html

The Buddha speaking to his 7 year old son. This I will use when speaking to my children. Good one. Emotional one if you keep in mind he is speaking to his son. It is said he never made a difference. That a Buddha is incapable of it. Since it would make the dhamma lesser if he did I rather read it as if he did not. But still I wonder. What do you think?

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.061.than.html

The Buddha was the head of a order under strict discipline but he also described how lay people should practice. This is one of those. If you read between the lines you will see his practical view on everyday life.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.31.0.ksw0.html

Hope they help.

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

The Buddha was always in personal contact with people, his sangha, his family, @eggsavior.
    People invited him to stay for long periods in their estates and there he imparted teachings to groups of different sizes.
    All suttas are adressed to someone: his disciples, his son, a patron.
    He was a charismatic man who adapted the tone of his speech to the understanding level of his audience.
    It is said that the suttas are 80.000 different ways of dealing with the same teaching.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@DhammaDragon said:

It is said that the suttas are 80.000 84,000 different ways of dealing with the same teaching.

Not that I'm counting ;):lol:

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@grackle said:
    @eggsavior. I think what you are seeking can be found in Kuan Shih Yin Pusa. Many Asian buddhists I have known would tell you of her great compassion. But there is a fine book by John Blofeld."Bodhisattva of Compassion". Please read it.

You mean this one, @grackle ?
    I love it and read it over and over again
    This edition is from 1977...

• Yes@DhammaDragon. The title on mine is just a little different. Also by same author The Wheel of Life. Mr Blofeld travelled extensively in pre World War 2 Asia. His experience of those times speaks of Asia that no longer exists. A wonderful book. When I read of his experiences with the Chinese Mahayana it reminds somewhat of my own. Though I cannot even remotely imagine myself as on his level.