Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha, the Vatican and Vesak

karastikarasti BreathingMinnesota Moderator

Thought this was interesting, a letter from the Vatican in recognition of upcoming Vesak.
http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2017/04/22/170422c.html

KundoBunksFosdicklobsterHozanVastmind

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Separatism - 0 Unification and Harmony - 1.

Best team wins.

Vastmindkarasti
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

'Dear friends, may we actively dedicate ourselves to promoting within our families, and social, political, civil and religious institutions a new style of living where violence is rejected and the human person is respected. It is in this spirit that we wish you once again a peaceful and joyful feast of Vesakh.'

I'll amen to that <3

karastilobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Nice of them to say... but honestly this kind of thing should be embedded in the bones of every religion, not just mentioned in a letter. Religions and believers still clash too often, while in fact they are all "fingers pointing to the moon".

Religions actually have much in common, and should be acknowledging that they all represent aspects of a universal wisdom, rather than emphasising the differences and saying, my god is the only god, as do the Christians, Jews and Muslims. I'm personally rather a fan of the philosophia perennis.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perennial_philosophy

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Bridging gaps is a start. One cannot go from "you are my enemy because you are different" to love, light and perfection overnight. Recognizing other religions as valid is a huge step for the Church.

ZenshinlobsterVastmind
  • techietechie India Veteran

@karasti said:
    Bridging gaps is a start. One cannot go from "you are my enemy because you are different" to love, light and perfection overnight. Recognizing other religions as valid is a huge step for the Church.

This pope is different from the previous popes. He has spoken about charity, helping refugees, ending poverty, etc. No pope before him has done that, especially so consistently. It looks like he really cares. But it doesn't mean the official position of the church itself has changed. The next pope may be entirely different.

karasti
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

@techie no, but if his influence has affected others within the Church then that influence spreads. It's not a magic button to change of course, but a declaration to the church the other people, other religions etc are not threats is a good thing, I think.