Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fear Factor

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

I've been watching Fear Factor again recently now that it's all on Hulu. It made me wonder how a seasoned Buddhist would do on the show, if they could talk themselves through their fears or unpleasant situations. Would Buddha win Fear Factor? :p Maybe..

Comments

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2017

Not needed, he is above winning and loosing and would not care, if there are many bullies in front of you, you dont have to go stright forward, you can easely go around them and avoid an unnecessary fight, boring answer?

Buddhadragon
  • TiggerTigger Toronto, Canada Veteran
    edited March 2017

At the very least I think a Buddhist would do a better job channelling their fears, as you mentioned @eggsavior. Other than that, I don't think it would help much. I used to be a very competitive person but it just brings me stress regardless of whether I win or lose.

For every win, someone must fail - waiting to exhale

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

What's the point?
    I mean, how healthy can it be to deliberately put yourself through suffering, and let people watch you? Is it the money? Ugh.

yagr
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

How do you know none of them were Buddhists? I think we like to assume Buddhists would do everything better than everyone else.

I don't think I'd do any better were I trapped in a car underwater, or under the ice on a lake, being a Buddhist. I would be just as afraid now as I would have been 10 years ago. 'Tis why I take a lot of precaution when I spend time on the ice. When you are prepared, you can deal more capably. But it requires more than just mental preparation. Being mentally prepared to fall through the ice would do nothing to get me out. But knowing how to do so increases my confidence exponentially.

• skyfox66skyfox66 Explorer

I think Buddhists would wisely say no to the idea of being on the show in the first place and find something else to do. Why suffer when you don't have to?

yagr
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

That would be second arrow / self-inflicted dukkha: pointless und unnecessary...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The Buddha would win fear factor...even if he lost :)