Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Do you speak Emoji?

?

???⌨️?????

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

:(

Obviously not.

Could someone please explain how we go about doing so? And keep it stupid-simple....

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I think the idea is to string different emoji together to form a meaningful "sentence"...

lobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran

?❤?

karastilobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited May 2017

HOW DO WE GET THEM IN THE FIRST PLACE - ??!!

• HozanHozan Veteran

When you go to type in the comment box ( when on a tablet or smartphone) a keyboard appears on screen. Close to bottom left of this keyboard is a smiley face. When you tap that, the whole range of emojis are at your service....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Smiley face...one in from bottom left on keyboard

• HozanHozan Veteran

??

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited May 2017

?

?????‍♀️???????????

Hozan
  • VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran

Yes.?.

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Oh man, I'm SO going to get banned now ???

VastmindyagrHozanBuddhadragon
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I cannot stand typing on phones or tablets so I am limited to what is available here. But I'm ok with that. :+1:

Vastmind
    edited May 2017

@karasti ..... Me too! I usually use my laptop, but occasionally use my tablet just to read/check....and do a short reply. I love me some emojis...but I can tell already figuring out the sentence takes too damn long for me, haha. I'll keep to my zillion words with a facial expression or two. B)

karasti
  • RefugeeRefugee San Francisco Explorer

I got a really weird look at dinner the other day when I pointed out how history inevitably moves in cycles, and here we are introducing cuneiform again...

lobsteryagrKundoHozan
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

???❓????????‍♀️???☸️??

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited May 2017

I don't know, I think the cueiniform/hieroglyphics comparison is missing the essential purpose of emoji, they are not there as a replacement language, but to add colour and emotional context to a sentence. In a way it is a solution to the famous email problem of being so easily misunderstood when writing in text alone because it is stripped of its emotional subtext compared to watching a real live speaker. It's a definite advance in use of the written language, not a backward step, when skilfully used.

So the real question is, are you up to using emoji to skilfully add emotional nuance to your sentences? Perhaps a tougher challenge than just constructing an almost-sentence out of emoticons.

lobster
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Hozan said:
    ??

So you live near Mount Fuji and love the crashing waves, @Hozan...
    Great!?

@lobster said:
    ?

?????‍♀️???????????

Yes, I'm a girl too, @lobster.
    Albeit an old one?

I fear our emoji communication will trigger some serious misunderstandings on the site...
    There are not enough curse emojis for me to use, though...
    ????

lobsterHozanFosdick
  • RefugeeRefugee San Francisco Explorer
    edited May 2017

@Kerome

You took that waaaaaayyy too seriously. <3

It's pretty evident that emojis aren't a symbolic language all on their lonesome; they lack all the requisite features of any self-contained writing system. The comparison to cueiniform is merely for humorous effect.

Nevertheless, in response to your valid point, I personally find the overuse (i.e., non-skillful use) of emojis obnoxious and disingenuous. A string of emojis doesn't add any value to any conversation that isn't surface-level chitchat. When it comes to substance, I trust a man who smiles too much very little; I trust a man who does nothing but send "haha" and happy faces even less.

The key difference between nonverbal cues and using emojis is that most people really aren't that great at hiding what they're genuinely feeling, at least if you're attuned to such things. Smiling from the wrist down, however, is easy. Emojis or no, I refuse to have any important conversation about anything unless it's face to face. It's really frustrating trying to find people my age who understand this. It's a whole generation who grew up on the Diet Coke of communication mediums.

lobsterkarasti

????, ?

lobster
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Everyone uses them differently. I don't think the intention of the meme was to be a serious exploration of the comparisons of a human historical development of languages. Memes are supposed to be silly. Not educational. I find them a fun little addition. Mostly because I remember being so thrilled at the cleverness of it when I first got online in like 1993, and saw how people used the keyboard to denote emotion. I felt a slight pang of disappointment when they became actual graphics! Some people over use them, when I do it's on purpose, usually to get my kids' attention when they aren't answering me fast enough, lol.

As far as communication, everyone there also has different needs. The internet allows us to communicate with family we never see, friends we never would have met otherwise, and conduct business across countries. I prefer the written medium for communication but it has nothing to do with growing up on the internet. It wasn't introduced into my life until i was an adult, and even as a very young child when I had important things to say, I wrote letters to my parents, teachers, etc. I am still the same now. I am happy to listen when someone prefers in-person communication. But I need time to process my thoughts and often am not ready to respond until hours, or even days, later, depending on the topic. Speaking off-the-cuff is not my strong suit and I want ample time to consider all angles before I respond. Writing allows me to do that.

RefugeelobsterFosdick
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

One of the advantages of being a troglodyte is we remain in our caves laughing as modernity passes us by.

RefugeeNirvanaFosdick
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@grackle said:
    One of the advantages of being a troglodyte is we remain in our caves laughing as modernity passes us by.

Caves are underrated. Id love a nice cave. Boddhidharma had a nice one.

edited May 2017

@Refugee said:
    @Kerome

You took that waaaaaayyy too seriously. <3

It's pretty evident that emojis aren't a symbolic language all on their lonesome; they lack all the requisite features of any self-contained writing system. The comparison to cueiniform is merely for humorous effect.

I obviously missed the use of several 'referentially funny', 'irony' and 'sarcasm' emoji's, as my post was meant to be lightly but intentionally humorous. ?

Refugee

I find emojis make up for the lack of vision of our facial expressions at the moment of communicating online?

I tend to be very expressive with my body language and facial expressions when I talk, and that trait goes completely amiss during virtual exchanges?

Friends have told me they have to laugh at my choice of emojis because it's as if they could actually see me...
    ????

KundoHozan
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Hozan said:

@grackle said:

I would like a cave with widescreen TV. :p

Hozan
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Refugee said:
    I got a really weird look at dinner the other day when I pointed out how history inevitably moves in cycles, and here we are introducing cuneiform again...

I blame the Vikings. :p

Hozan

@SpinyNorman said:

@Hozan said:

@grackle said:

I would like a cave with widescreen TV. :p

A cave with my books and tea boiler would not be bad....??

Refugee
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Um speaking of "caves" and widescreen TV

• AtraskoAtrasko United Kingdom New

Hi everyone?!
    I have nothing against emojis, but I would love to change my profile picture.
    The one that was given to me looks deeply dissatisfied ?.
    Thank You!

Hozan
    edited May 2017

How's that @Atrasko? :D
    All you need to do is to click on your name, and it takes you to your profile.
    Place your cursor on the picture.
    You will get a prompt to 'change picture'.
    Upload one from your own personal file, or find one online you might like to adopt.....

Atrasko
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

:) ? B) ? o:) ?

:?

That baby orangutan is adorable, @Atrasko ???

(Yeah, it's a standard pic off images... I put it there to demonstrate that anything is possible!)

• AtraskoAtrasko United Kingdom New

:pleased:
    This one I love! Thank You!

lobster

You can change your avatar any time you want, I added it for a giggle.... Glad you're not offended!

• LionduckLionduck Veteran

Speak emoji...no
    ?????????

lobster

I have just bought a keyboard for my tablet and it has no emojis...
    :(

• BodhiTzuBodhiTzu Among the trees and flowers New

Here is a web site to copy and past from: http://getemoji.com/

If and how an emoji looks is dependent on the platform they are being viewed on.

?

Oh... It works!

?

It definitely works!

HI, @BodhiTzu and thanks for the hint!

I hope that wasn't the only reason you joined!!

@federica said:
    HI, @BodhiTzu and thanks for the hint!

I hope that wasn't the only reason you joined!!

=) This happened to be a thread at the top of the list.

??☯️
    Not bad, @BodhiTzu...
    Not as practical as having the emojis in my keyboard, but brilliant?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

???
    ?➕???

Are you bragging, @lobster?
    I found the fact of not being able to tap my messages correctly for lack of a decent keyboard deeply upsetting.
    Now I miss my emojis far more... ?
    ??☯️ ?

• lobsterlobster Veteran

⌨️??

@lobster said:
    ⌨️??

I DID IT....
    I can't believe a dinosaur like me DID find the way to write with the emojis on my new keyboard...
    I feel like Einstein...
    Sorry for not using exclamation marks because -?- I do not find the stupid exclamation mark on the keyboard...
    But that's the next step?

lobsterHozan
    edited May 2017

Well, I found the exclamation mark!!

BodhiTzulobsterHozan

㊗️

I am happy if my sentences are coherent. My emoji are ?

?

BuddhadragonHozan