Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Fasting

Hi all
I am planning to do a fast next week for both health and spiritual reasons. I am researching it to do it safely and carefully.
Any shared experiences much appreciated. How long have people fasted for? Was hoping to do 48 hours at least. Obviously hydration is very important. I will keep you all posted next week. All feedback ( no pun intended) welcome!

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2017

I'm a great fan of both Intermittent Fasting (IF) and long-term fasting.
    The longest I've gone fasting has been 8 days.
    In IF, I fast for 18 hours at a time, and eat normally at the end of it.

Make sure you have your electrolytes; keep a balance of salts and counter-act those headaches you will inevitably get, if you don't.

Take a half-litre of spring water. Dissolve some Himalayan rock salt in it, until you reach saturation point.
    Filter off any remaining granules (use these later, dry them on a piece of lint) and bottle the saturated solution.

Take one or two teaspoonfuls of this solution every morning, with a teaspoon of raw cane sugar, mixed in some water. Drink this whenever you get dull, headachy and maybe even a bit faint.

The salt granules are good for the odd occasional hit of salt to keep you focused. It's also a great way of getting to sleep at night.
    As you lie down and turn the light off, pop a salt crystal on the middle part of your tongue. Close your mouth normally, and let your tongue rest against your palate. The salt will gradually dissolve. A great night's sleep guaranteed.

Read Dr Michael Mosely on Fasting (he originated the 5:2 diet in the UK) and information from Dr. Jason Fung (USA). He's the Guru of Fasting, to many.

HozanBuddhadragon
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I fast on Yom Kippur and sometimes on Ta'anit Ester. But only for the day. I always make sure the night before that I eat a filling dinner and a snack around 9pm. Tends to help stave off the hunger pains, although I usually get hungry around 4-5pm

Hozan
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited June 2017

eating a tablespoonful of peanut butter, coconut oil, ordinary butter or a mixed Tbsp of all three, with pure cocoa powder mixed in (known as a 'fat bomb') is a good way of settling the hunger pangs, and nourishing the body, during a fast.

KundoHozan

@federica said:
    eating a tablespoonful of peanut butter, coconut oil, ordinary butter or a mixed Tbsp of all three, with pure cocoa powder mixed in (known as a 'fat bomb') is a good way of settling the hunger pangs, and nourishing the body, during a fast.

Yum!!!!

Hozan

I don't use stevia, I use a product called Sukrin, which has no nasty after-taste. Really nice.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@federica thank you for all the great tips and advice - thats absolute gold - very much appreciated!!

8 days!! 8 days!! How?? Zero solid food intake in 8 days or did you use fat bombs as mentioned above? Even so, 8 days!! Wow! Just wow!

edited June 2017

Zero solid intake of anything, loads to drink, teas, black coffee and water flavoured/infused with fresh-cut fruit or vegetables (carrot, cucumber, fennel, lemon....)

I worked up to it over 5 days; started off with cooked vegetables (usually steamed or poached in broth) and then changed to raw crudites, and raw fruit. Then went for the fluids, and at the end of the week, took broth, then cooked vegetables (as above) again, and then began to eat normally. All in all, it took around 3 weeks, from start to finish.

That's when I was 24.

I haven't fasted for that length of time, since.
    But I do IF at least 3 times/week.....Eat at around 8 - 9pm, then have nothing until the following afternoon at around 3 - 4pm...

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@dhammachick said:
    I fast on Yom Kippur and sometimes on Ta'anit Ester. But only for the day. I always make sure the night before that I eat a filling dinner and a snack around 9pm. Tends to help stave off the hunger pains, although I usually get hungry around 4-5pm

Fasting is new to me @dhammachick so thank you for the tips. Think i'll aim for a reasonable time for my first proper attempt.

Kundo
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@federica said:
    Zero solid intake of anything, loads to drink, teas, black coffee and water flavoured/infused with fresh-cut fruit or vegetables (carrot, cucumber, fennel, lemon....)

Did you notice changes in your awareness, focus, clarity or mood? I have read that beyond a certain point of fasting ( if done properly and responsibly like you have) that the mind reaches a state of focus and clarity beyond the everyday.

• HozanHozan Veteran

8 days!!!!!!!

@Hozan said:

@federica said:

Did you notice changes in your awareness, focus, clarity or mood? I have read that beyond a certain point of fasting ( if done properly and responsibly like you have) that the mind reaches a state of focus and clarity beyond the everyday.

Yes, even with IF I feel better mentally, more alert and focused. I also have more energy for any exercise I do, although leg-work is severely limited by the fact that my left leg is not "Firing on all cylinders"...!
    If I feel sluggish in the afternoon, it's my own fault. Not enough fluids/electrolytes..... A quick drink fixes that.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

I am building up to a Monday start! Thank you so much @federica . Plenty food for thought there..

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I fast every day between dinner and breakfast :lol:

ShakHozanBuddhadragonWalker

@Kerome said:
    I fast every day between dinner and breakfast :lol:

That is fasting, actually, and part of the 18 hours I count in the fast. If you were awake at night, chances are you would actually eat something; either out of boredom, or because you felt you should.... I mean, how can you go 7+ hours with no food? Ridiculous, right?
    Nope.
    That's why it's called 'Break-Fast'.

Babies can't go that long without nourishment. hence the middle-of-the-night feed parents all over the world know and love!

We can actually go for very long periods without food, and actually, as mammals, we are programmed to do so.
    Unfortunately, we are conditioned by our current habitats, environment, social influences and habits, to eat at every possible available opportunity.

In the 50's and 60's it was rare to see people eating out of a natural dining environment, apart from the odd occasional ice cream or pack of crisps... Now, it's pandemic - kids in strollers, adults, young folk - they're all stuffing their faces wherever you look!

It's actually one of my personal pet hates (there are a few!) is people scoffing food in the street. It's unsightly, unnecessary and utterly un-mindful.

People eat to fill the time, and for something to do.

Obesity, much?

HozanFosdick
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

I have found that strict water only fasts are the best. Simple and direct. Headaches will cease. No need to get fancy. Don't fight your body as the wonderful internal process begins. Work with it. When you break your fast take a sip of juice every few hours. Later a whole fruit. Then you will be good to go. So many people doubt the wisdom of the internal healer. Don't be one.

lobsterHozan
    edited June 2017

Yes, they're fine, but not for too long. Even though the body benefits from fasting and not ingesting nutrients, it's not something that should be embarked upon in one fell swoop.
    You need to acclimatise the body to complete fasting by gradually increasing the time you do it.

Start with a day (24 hrs), go back to normal for a couple of days, increase to 36 hours, go back, couple more days, 48 hours.... you can work your way up to a week, maybe even two.

But don't dive in head first to this.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@federica said:
    Yes, they're fine, but not for too long. Even though the body benefits from fasting and not ingesting nutrients, it's not something that should be embarked upon in one fell swoop.
    You need to acclimatise the body to complete fasting by gradually increasing the time you do it.

Start with a day (24 hrs), go back to normal for a couple of days, increase to 36 hours, go back, couple more days, 48 hours.... you can work your way up to a week, maybe even two.

But don't dive in head first to this.

Good call. A bit like climbing Everest ( not that I have done it) you dont just tear off up the mountain in one go.
    Good advice. I'll let base camp one be 24 hours and so on...
    Easy does it...

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

I am a fan of 5:2 Intermittent Fasting, @Hozan.
    One eats the daily recommended calorie intake five times a week and eats only 25% twice a week.

The rough estimate is 2500 calories for men and 2000 calories for women on normal days, but it can vary depending on one's age, height and weight.
    Then we consume 600 calories (men) or 500 calories (women), on the fasting days.

There is a calculator on the website page:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/how-many-calories-on-a-non-fast-day/

http://the5-2dietbook.com/basics

It is ideal for people who aim at losing weight, but it was the health benefits what attracted me to this lifestyle.
    It seems to be fantastic for cancer prevention (especially breast cancer), blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes.
    I drink plenty of liquids, vegetables and protein only on fasting days.
    I seldom suffer from headaches, but added more liquids when I did.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thank you @DhammaDragon !! I have just this second ordered the fast diet book on amazon based on your recommendation as outside of a longer fast I would like to incorporate the 5:2 into my weekly eating for the very health benefits you have described!!

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

I'm hitting 40 this year. I need to start looking after the vessel that contains the spirit!
    Spartan time!!??

Buddhadragon

^^This^^ is the Dr Michael Mosley 5:2 "Diet" I mentioned earlier, @Hozan .... ('Diet' in the same way that Vegetarianism, Veganism, Mediterranean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italian, etc., etc., etc... are 'diets'.... I prefer to refer to them as WoE... Ways of Eating.... For more information on wise self-Nourishment, make sure you read the LCHF thread...)

HozanBuddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@federica said:
    ^^This^^ is the Dr Michael Mosley 5:2 "Diet" I mentioned earlier, @Hozan .... ('Diet' in the same way that Vegetarianism, Veganism, Mediterranean, Japanese, Chinese, Thai, Italian, etc., etc., etc... are 'diets'.... I prefer to refer to them as WoE... Ways of Eating.... For more information on wise self-Nourishment, make sure you read the LCHF thread...)

Will do @federica . This is a huge challenge for me but one I must embrace. I dont drink or smoke or take drugs but sweet food is my downfall. Sugar is my drug. A drug which unchecked in the diet can cause a whole host of health problems.

Poor @Hozan!
    I'm ruining your budget with all my book recommendations... ;)

I am a total hedonist and enjoy eating, so counting calories every day was soooo out of the question.
    Besides, the collateral health benefits were found only when people kept the 5:2 formula.

This struck me as a very feasible lifestyle and easy to incorporate in any schedule, as long as one respects the twice a week condition.
    I usually do it Monday and Thursday.
    You suffer a day -although your body is thanking you infinitely for it- and you know that you can eat without guilt the following day.
    If you do it for weight loss, you should reduce the fasting to just once a week, though the health benefits were proven with the twice a week formula.

Hozan

Sugar is the most addictive substance on the planet - and that's not drama, that's researched fact. It's more addictive than either narcotics or alcohol, and is used as an ingredient in cigarettes to keep people hooked. It's a sure-fire lure for the young too....

Cravings for something to eat, are more often than not cravings for carbs. And carbs = sugars.

Hozanpaulyso

It's true, Fede.
    Sugar is the worst.
    I never used sugar, nor had a sweet tooth, but I do begin to crave some sweets this past year.
    I told you about that.
    Mid-afternoon I need chocolate.
    I strive to stick to my usual 70% chocolate, but have found the most delicious white chocolate with matcha that drives me nuts....?

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Thank you @DhammaDragon I really appreciate the recommendation. The budget is a small price to pay for the health benefits!!

Buddhadragon
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

From personal experience I required no acclimation. But my first fast was three days. Just to gain experience. A really interesting subject is physical exercise while fasting. In the 1920's many great exhibitions were performed at Madison Square Garden. Where significant feats of strength were performed while fasting. The other thing that happens is the wonderful connection with the "still small voice". Keep us posted. One final observation. If you get up too quickly while fasting it is possible to experience dizziness. But then moving slowly is an excellent training.

Hozanlobster
  • HozanHozan Veteran

@grackle said:
    From personal experience I required no acclimation. But my first fast was three days. Just to gain experience. A really interesting subject is physical exercise while fasting. In the 1920's many great exhibitions were performed at Madison Square Garden. Where significant feats of strength were performed while fasting. The other thing that happens is the wonderful connection with the "still small voice". Keep us posted. One final observation. If you get up too quickly while fasting it is possible to experience dizziness. But then moving slowly is an excellent training.

Thank you @grackle . Very much appreciated and will certainly keep you posted on this thread. Very interesting about the feats of strength during fasting. As @federica mentioned as mammals we were designed to go for periods without food until modern living made a mess of our food intake. If you think of feats of strength of hungry mammals such as packs of wolves hunting with extraordinary stamina. I'd say in our hunter/gatherer past we humans were pretty fit and strong.

• gracklegrackle Veteran

Tomorrow belongs to those who are fit to seize today.

edited June 2017

@grackle, thanks for your response. I hope I didn't sound as if I was disagreeing or criticising your experience. I was really just advising caution to @Hozan as this is something he has never ventured to try before.
    I fully accept that 'all folks iz diff'rent' and it works for some in some ways and for others in others....
    I was merely recommending in his specific case to start small.
    Particularly as part of his Motivation is Spiritual... Sometimes, it's hard to focus on the motivation, when the head is light, and the stomach empty. Good advice on not getting up too quickly!

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Awesome advice from @federica and @DhammaDragon and @grackle .
    Very much appreciated. As a novice in the fasting process your advice and information is essential.
    When I become a fully fledged Spartan feel free to call on me anytime if you need another body in battle :D

Buddhadragon

..."IF"......

lobsterHozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited June 2017

@federica said:
    ..."IF"......

I'll keep you posted. Hopefully you arent planning on calling me up to battle in the near future....check out my spartan gear

Buddhadragon
  • HozanHozan Veteran

Oops I meant....

• HozanHozan Veteran

Anyway to conclude, it was the Spartan women were in charge..

BuddhadragonKundo
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited June 2017

When I was in college, I used to do a 3-day fast, now and then. Filling up on water helps beat hunger pangs. By around the middle of day 2, you may start to get a sort of high. By day 3, I definitely had a spiritual high. YMMV. Let us know how it goes. But if you start to feel light-headed or woozy in some way, eat. Preferably protein. It could mean your blood sugar is starting to crash.

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited June 2017

Thank you @Dakini . Excuse my ignorance on the abbreviation but what is YMMV?

Got it! Your Mileage May Vary ! Doh!

@federica said:
    ..."IF"......

For those who may not understand the connection... ;)

HozanBuddhadragon
  • gracklegrackle Veteran

@federica. No I certainly didn't feel you were disagreeing with or criticising my experience. I became interested in fasting many years ago while reading up on Natural Hygeine. The idea presented by many followers of Natural Hygeine was that the body had an innate healing intelligence and ability. That that ability could be brought forward by what was once referred to as rational/scientific fasting. I still think it holds great hope for many. Pursued with reason. I am aware of Jason Fung,MD. A valuable source. I am rather partial to Joel Fuhrman,MD who himself went on a lengthly fast himself at the Shelton Health School. The school is now closed and Herbert Shelton is in another dimension. As an aside when a major college exam was coming up I would start fasting two days in advance. My concentration was a lot stronger.

I think you're definitely on to something with regard to the body's innate healing intelligence...
    I have often said that Doctors are not in the business to heal, necessarily. They're mainly there to treat symptoms, by prescribing ,medication for a problem they do not directly address. I personally believe that a person's duty to themselves is to take care of themselves and heal themselves, too....

A pertinent example is that of my husband who, having drastically cut his intake, and eliminated certain foodstuffs from his customary regimen, has lost nearly 42lbs and is "cured" of T2D.
    His diabetic medication did nothing to address his Diabetes, specifically. What it did was to alter his biological actions and modify his physical chemistry...

By amending his intake and altering his eating pattern, he is half the man he used to be, and all the healthier for it.

In China, Doctors are only paid if they're NOT treating patients....

(I can't post a direct link to a specific site: Our Internet connection is playing up [apparently, Virgin media are 'working on it'...!] but here is a search page with some links.)

Hozan
  • My interest in this thread is simply this: why do you feel the need to fast? I do it occasionally but not for spiritual nor health reasons. I find that missing lunch or dinner meals here and there, but listening to my body's needs and acting on them, is adequate for me.

In fact just going without breakfast and having maybe a brunch and then perhaps a supper in the evening can be more than enough, depending on my activity levels.

• HozanHozan Veteran
    edited June 2017

@satcittananda said:
    My interest in this thread is simply this: why do you feel the need to fast? I do it occasionally but not for spiritual nor health reasons. I find that missing lunch or dinner meals here and there, but listening to my body's needs and acting on them, is adequate for me.

In fact just going without breakfast and having maybe a brunch and then perhaps a supper in the evening can be more than enough, depending on my activity levels.

Awesome dude ???
    Your first sentence was that your only interest in this thread was why did I feel the need to fast?
    Maybe you didnt read the thread?
    Health and spiritual reasons ( my first sentence in the original post). Both were touched on by various contributors during the post. I'm very grateful for the advice and information people have given me and I am looking forward to my fast.
    I am assuming now that I have satisfied your interest in this thread that you will no longer need to post or contribute to this thread or do you have another question? Happy to discuss with you. Best wishes

KundoBuddhadragon
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Hard and fast roolz!

Don't eat books.
    Don't eat tv's or computers.
    Don't eat brains.

?

• FosdickFosdick in its eye are mirrored far off mountains Alaska, USA Veteran

I am a type 1 diabetic, which makes fasting for more than 12 -14 hours a bit of a challenge. I am wondering if anyone on the forum is in a similar situation and has managed a fast of 24 hours or more successfully. If so, how the heck did you do it?

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited June 2017

I fast each night (for around 12 hours) and break fast in the morning ...This is enough for me...Oh and I also fast between each meal too :) ..I guess I only fast when I'm not eating :winky:

Hozan
  • HozanHozan Veteran
    edited June 2017

So I am fasting from 10pm Sunday 11th until Wednesday 14th at 10am
    60 hours. Keep you posted!

ShoshinBuddhadragon

@Fosdick said:
    I am a type 1 diabetic, which makes fasting for more than 12 -14 hours a bit of a challenge. I am wondering if anyone on the forum is in a similar situation and has managed a fast of 24 hours or more successfully. If so, how the heck did you do it?

I have low blood sugar so I can't go for more than 12 hours either. I fast on blocks of time. Sometimes you have to work with what you've got.

HozanFosdick
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

I used to fast and not even know it. I wouldn't eat breakfast or lunch and would eat dinner at 5 pm and then snacks until I fell asleep around midnight. But I decided to eat fruits and vegetables so now first thing is a large V8 vegetable juice drink to hydrate in the morning and then an apple and orange for breakfast to get my vegetables/fruits and some fiber out of the way first thing.

Hozan
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Hozan said:
    Keep you posted!

Wot?
    What is fasting and food? In other words what are we consuming? What is nutrition?

Let me put it another way. A fast is vast emptiness, not spiritual stuffing ... Yum!

• HozanHozan Veteran

19 hours out of 60 done. A little bit hungry but absolutely fine

KundoBuddhadragon