Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nightly ritual, bad mornings

KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSUAch-To Veteran

Currently boiling a pot of water for green tea. I'm not much of a morning person but I love the night. I used to have a lot of fun staying up late as a kid, feeling the quiet solitude alone in my bedroom. I'm going to try a new nightly routine of drinking tea and reading (i have too many books!) In the mornings I am usually anxious and it's hard to get out of bed. I hope going to sleep in a better mood will help as well. I am going to refrain from being on my phone once I start drinking my tea, as a rule...

Goodnight

BunksHozansilverlobster

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran
    edited June 2017

Good luck @eggsavior!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited June 2017

The mornings are usually my best time, with a quiet solitude and a slowly disappearing tranquility I often feel meditative even without meditating.

But herbal teas, especially chamomille, are my night time refuge if I should wake up in a restless mood. I've always found them very peace giving and sleep promoting, I hope you find it useful.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I do the ironing. It is soothing, meditative and productive.

Jeroen
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@federica said:
    I do the ironing. It is soothing, meditative and productive.

Que? :o I consider all ironing an example of mindlessly buying the wrong clothes.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_ironing

I dry items on hangers, if they wrinkle, they are not welcome on me and go to charity.
    I find not-ironing far more restful. o:)

JeroenShoshinWalker
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I do that too... non-ironing. It works with a surprisingly large selection of clothes.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Anxiety runs in my family as a life response. Not a helpful/skilful emotion.

However ... as has been stated here many times, we can unravel the causes and deal with them ...

• a pile of ironing
    • too much stress
    • the mind-body complex

The last one is the Buddhist speciality. In particular we can focus on the body sensations and relax or burn up the sensory mis-cues. For me this anxiety sensation is belly based, butterfly sensation, very similar to excitement. I can now (yeah for meditation) just direct my mind there and let the sensation unravel/relax/dissipate/let go.

More drastic results may involve stomach based exercises, I call on martial tension based exercises, pre-battle drills but yoga or qi-ong would be good too. Just a few appropriaite exercises might help with regular effort ...
    https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-16345/5-yoga-poses-to-help-alleviate-anxiety.html

The child pose is kind of part of prostrations ... few of those regularly would be a useful routine ...