Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

From Drama Queen To Dharma.............

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

To be honest, when I think back to my past life, (late teens to mid twenties) I was a real draaaaaama queeeeeen...
Show "me" a tiny mole hill and I'd create a mountain..... no mole hill was too small ...Life was all about "me"...

As I've aged this has help somewhat to reduce the impact of what I perceived as dramatic events...

However NOWadays things have improved even more, a mole hill remains a mole hill and a mountain a mountain ...but Dharma practice is gradually changing drama into Dharma and this (so it would seen) is due to the acceptance of karma...(Wholesome and unwholesome)...Owning it and working through it so to speak...

With your practice...Are you finding what use to be daily dramas gradually transforming into Dharmas ?...

Going from Drama queen to Dharma queen/king

HozanBunksKannon

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Good call @shoshin!

I definitely have seen a shift in my perspective.

Train running late? Oh well....
    Person steps in front of me in a queue? No worries!
    Car cuts me off? All good.....

I still get annoyed at times but find I get over stuff a lot quicker.

HozanlobsterShoshinVastmind
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

My nature was a little different... I was most often a quiet child, and as a teenager and young twentieer I retreated into books. I would often avoid drama except in the pages of novels. You could say I was sleepy and dreamt, living through games and novels. But the dharma has awoken in me an inquisitive nature, something that wants to untangle all the deep sources of negative emotions, and leave the positive unfettered and free.

The result has been a kind of inner spaciousness and peace. It is something I associate with an inner beauty, although I often find I have less and less to say. Quiet is overtaking me, and sometimes I think my flat is a modern anchorite's cave. The flights of fancy of the mind have largely calmed down, leaving me afloat on a sea of tranquility...

HozanShoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

I liked @Bunks answer

Strangely enough I have changed from dharma queen to drama queen. :3

In other words I was originally obsessed with dharma, spirituality and becoming Nirvanic. Now I am often the worst caricature of the bodhi samsara traits ... :o

How could this happen? I iz monstory! :3

marcitkoShoshin
  • KannonKannon NAMU AMIDA BUTSU Ach-To Veteran

A lot of my drama was self initiated. I was very depressed and fearful so a poor mind created a poor reality. Knowing the power of the mind in its negativity I now do the total opposite. A positive mind creates a positive reality. Drama is just the rhythm of life. Now that I am more open and happy drama is easier to navigate.

Shoshin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Absolutely, there are few things that rile me up anymore (though it still happens it's not daily like it used to be). But I am much more able to keep perspective, or change my perspective simply by choosing to do so.

I was a very dramatic teen, too, but most of that is just the hormones and the act of getting ready to leave the nest which brings inevitable conflict as kids/young adults figure out what they want their lives to be like and it doesn't coincide with what their parents want for their lives. Going through this with my 20 year old now, but it's all good. Just part of growing up. I think as adults we look at younger people and think they are being overly dramatic, and of course they are when you have the benefit of experience and hindsight. But they feel everything so incredibly strongly thanks to their hormones that drama is sure to follow for many of them. I remember my parents telling me things like "You are only 14, this just isn't so important for you to be so upset." And I was so angry at them for poo-pooing what felt so very important and heart-breaking to me (first breakup with a very short lived boyfriend). They completely disregarded how I felt and the "drama" I had going on because of their more settled emotions, hormones and much more vast life experience. It was unfair. You can't look at the lives of hormonal teenagers with little life experience through the ideas of a settled, stable, and experienced adult, IMO. You have to go back to how you felt then and approach them from that level, because they aren't capable of rising to your level to see your perspective.

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Mazu is a personification of Quan-yin, that started off as a shamaness (spooky powered dharma Queen) and has now learned to fly ...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40490108

She is sacred to sailors, fisher-lobsters, some Buddhists and travels business class. See above link ...

• VastmindVastmind Memphis, TN Veteran
    edited July 2017

^^^ That screams drama. ....and subsequently the attention itself screams curtain call.

Believing things are "sacred" makes people do funny things. I understand it's for transport purposes...but everything else from pets to valuables to dead bodies travel through cargo..so...????

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I think it depends how a person uses (or considers) the term. There are things sacred to me, but not in a worship-type of way. My relationship with my husband. My solitude. My time spent in nature. Sacred because of the height of importance they have in my life and that they are things I don't share with others. I guess for me that is where the key is, the things that are sacred are the things I don't shout from the rooftops. The things that enhance my life on a private level. But it has nothing to do with religion, deities, faith or belief. It's just a sense I get about those particular things. And yes, I still have attachment to them :lol:

VastmindlobsterHozanupekka