Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Unbinding

the end goal in Buddhism is Nibbana/nirvana

if i am correct, Nibbana is translated into english as liberation/freedom/emptiness/unbinding

in other words Nibbana = liberation = freedom = emptiness = form = unbinding

why does 'unbinding' use as a synonym to Nibbana? is it reasonable?

your 'thoughts'?

(if this thread gives you a headache just ignore this (Let Go) and let others write their thoughts)

thanks

Shoshin

Comments

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

seems reasonable to me

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Anekajatisamsaram
    sandhavissam anibbisam
    gahakaram gavesanto
    dukkha jati punappunam

Gahakaraka ditthosi
    puna geham na kahasi
    sabba te phasuka bhagga
    gahakotam visankhatam
    visankharagatam cittam
    tanhanam khayamajjhaga

"Binding"

Verse 153: I, who have been seeking the builder of this house (body), failing to attain Enlightenment (Bodhi nana or Sabbannuta nana) which would enable me to find him, have wandered through innumerable births in samsara. To be born again and again is, indeed, dukkha!

"Unbinding"

Verse 154: Oh house-builder! You are seen, you shall build no house (for me) again. All your rafters are broken, your roof-tree is destroyed. My mind has reached the unconditioned (i.e., Nibbana); the end of craving (Arahatta Phala) has been attained.

"Sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya"

There is so it would seem a number of possibilities regarding this being reasonable ...example ...

No longer "bound" by "conditioned" awareness/states...

"Transient alas; are all component things
    Subject are they to birth and then decay
    Having gained birth;to death the life flux swings
    Bliss truly dawns when unrest dies away

Jeffreyupekkalobsterperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited July 2017

:)

Unbinding of the final blow out or anupadhishesa-nirvana is beyond my pay grade. However the unbinding, loosening or spaciousness is something many of us are familiarising ourselves with, aiming towards, experiencing, flowing and streaming with ...
    https://bumblebuddhist.wordpress.com/category/uncategorized/page/2/

It is perfectly reasonable to resonate, describe and experience nirvana at the level of sopadhishesa-nirvana. If not we are in a condition of alight, fettered, bound and karmically locked into our impediments ...

Still bound to dharma? Tsk, tsk ... :p
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/ajivaka.asp

JeffreyupekkaKundoShoshin
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@lobster said:

Still bound to dharma? Tsk, tsk ... :p
    http://www.hinduwebsite.com/hinduism/concepts/ajivaka.asp

<3

lobster
  • vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran

@upekka said:
    the end goal in Buddhism is Nibbana/nirvana

if i am correct, Nibbana is translated into english as liberation/freedom/emptiness/unbinding

in other words Nibbana = liberation = freedom = emptiness = form = unbinding

why does 'unbinding' use as a synonym to Nibbana? is it reasonable?

your 'thoughts'?

(if this thread gives you a headache just ignore this (Let Go) and let others write their thoughts)

thanks

Well, the end goal of Buddhism is probably different than the end goal of individual Buddhist. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that most participants in this thread expect to reach nibanna in this lifetime, and none of us knows that in a future life that we will even be Buddhists.

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited July 2017

Fire(Self) is bound to the wick(aggregates) sustained by the fuel(craving).
    When there is no more fuel(craving), the fire(self) goes out (is unbound).
    The extinction of greed, hatred and delusion is unbinding.

This unbinding can happen at anytime when conditions are ripe.

lobsterupekkaperson
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@vinlyn said:
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that most participants in this thread expect to reach nibanna in this lifetime ...

Ay caramba!

You are wrong. :p If not on the path to ni banana nibanna, what on earth is dharma, a bed time story? z z z ... ? ;)

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Nibbana/Nirvana/Freedom isn't an active goal for me. It might be out there, but it's not why I make my life my practice and vice versa. To me, that is no different than trying to be a good Christian in order to get through the pearly gates. It misses the point of being a human on earth right now. I think real freedom comes now and the chance is there every moment of every day. We don't have to keep a checklist just to obtain freedom when we are done with it.

Unbinding seems a fitting word to me. We are bound by a lot in our human lives. But, like I said above, we choose our binding and we can choose to let it go whenever. It's like sitting on the floor and flailing for an item on a high shelf. All you have to do is stand up.

vinlyn
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@karasti said:
    we choose our binding and we can choose to let it go whenever

no, we can't choose because we are already conditioned
    Buddha found out this and introduced Dependent Origination to the world
    that is why we must try to know what exactly DO is and how it activates in our lives

I don't think logical understanding is required in any way. It just makes it easier to explain. Buddha KNEW it before he named and explained it. We can know it the same way.

lobsterHozan
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@karasti said:
    I don't think logical understanding is required in any way. It just makes it easier to explain. Buddha KNEW it before he named and explained it.

hundred present agreed

We can know it the same way.

this is Buddha Era, Buddha's Teaching is still available
    so we can listen to His Teaching and follow it (if we want to) and know by ourselves

when Buddha's Teaching is available the only possibility is to become Arahant with the help of Buddha's Teaching

when there is no Buddha's Teaching there is the possibility to arise another Buddha or Pacceka Buddha

For my part, I'm not sure I believe there is only room for one Buddha. As it goes, we all have the identical nature of Buddha within us. If there can only be one on earth at any time, as well as on earth only when the teachings of the other Buddha aren't here, then that suggests we do not all have Buddha nature, and I simply don't believe that.

• JeffreyJeffrey Veteran

Yeah Mahayana has different Buddhas than nirmanakaya @karasti. Nirmanakaya is like 'historical Buddha' that us ordinary pay grade can see. But Bodhisattva can see "enjoyment body" Buddha. But don't think a cigarette or whatever nice feeling is a perfect facsimile of that! And then there is dharmakaya too. Trungpa gave some teachings on these in some of his written works including when talking about tonglen.

karasti

@karasti said:
    For my part, I'm not sure I believe there is only room for one Buddha. As it goes, we all have the identical nature of Buddha within us. If there can only be one on earth at any time, as well as on earth only when the teachings of the other Buddha aren't here, then that suggests we do not all have Buddha nature, and I simply don't believe that.

I think that's possible, and they are what would be referred to as "Silent Buddhas".

• upekkaupekka Veteran

@karasti said:

what i wrote is what i have read, it is not my understanding
    according to what i have read there were millions of Buddhas before and this Gothama Buddha Era continues for another 2395 years, more or less
    then Metteiya Buddha will appear (i have no idea how long it will take)

it says we all were in front of many Buddhas and listened to Dhamma but we didn't have enough confidence in their Teachings at those times, and didn't make enough effort to grasp the Teaching and that is why we are still in samsara

believe Buddha's Teaching and practise with the mind to get away from samsara is up to individuals

i have a glimpse in His Teaching and have verified confidence so i make an effort to practice

i find successful and failing moments but each successful moment help me to stay in the practice (be here and now)

@vinlyn said:

I think that's possible, and they are what would be referred to as "Silent Buddhas".

Silent Buddhas are Pacceka Buddhas

@upekka said:

@vinlyn said:

Silent Buddhas are Pacceka Buddhas

I know that.

upekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran
    edited July 2017

the first concrete step towards unbinding is meditating to:
    understand the perception is a word
    be able to see the world without words

tranquility meditation, both tranquility meditation and insight meditation or insight meditation

listening to the Teaching and reading the Teaching is the supportive condition

once one sees the perception=word and words=world, one feels it is a necessity to go beyond

do you see anything wrong with the above writing? (not the grammer mistakes)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

(Or 'Grammar', even... ;):D )

karastiupekka
  • upekkaupekka Veteran

@upekka said:
    the first concrete step towards unbinding is meditating to:
    understand the perception is a word
    be able to see the world without words

tranquility meditation, both tranquility meditation and insight meditation or insight meditation

listening to the Teaching and reading the Teaching is the supportive condition

once one sees the perception=word and words=world, one feels it is a necessity to go beyond

if you know someone who can translate sinhalese into english, please get the help to translate the resent dhamma talks given by 'aranyavasi bikhuvak'

you can get the step by step instructions
    how to get understand the perception is just a word and how to be able to see the world without words

do not wait for victorious to appear in the forum to get this task done

i think by writing this post i did the best thing i can do for the members who really need to know and see the unbinding

best wishes

• Lazy_eyeLazy_eye Veteran
    edited July 2017

I think it may be a mistake to view nibbana solely as an end-goal. Yes, it is that --
    but we can also glimpse/taste it now, in those moments when we are not sucked into our various preoccupations and narratives. We can learn to recognize and welcome that tranquility, even if we don't inhabit it all the time.

As Ajahn Chah said "let go a little and you will have a little peace, let go a lot and you will have a lot of peace, let go completely and you will have complete peace." To me, personally, that's as a clear and straightforward explanation of nibbana/unbinding as anyone can ask for. And it shows how nibbana is relevant at any point along the path.

I actually turned away from Buddhism at one point because I got hung up on nibbana as the goal -- but I came back because I missed those "temporary nibbanas" that arise in connection with practice.

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

Well said @Lazy_eye

A goal is not an obsession/attachment, it is a sweeping towards ...