Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Third Precept...beyond adultery

13»

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

... > @vinlyn said:

I've been trying to explain to a few of my interested friends some of the basics of Buddhism. We've talked about the Triple Gems and the Four Noble Truths. And we are now discussing the 5 Precepts.

When we got to the third Precept, about sexual misconduct, I had to profess a lack of understanding. I think it's fairly obvious how the precept would relate to those who are married.

But how about to those who are not involved in adultery? How about gay relationships?

Your thoughts?

Well @vinlyn after all the comments ....are you any wiser ? (Or none the wiser ? :) )

• vinlynvinlyn Colorado...for now Veteran
    edited July 2017

@Shoshin said:
    ... > @vinlyn said:

I've been trying to explain to a few of my interested friends some of the basics of Buddhism. We've talked about the Triple Gems and the Four Noble Truths. And we are now discussing the 5 Precepts.

When we got to the third Precept, about sexual misconduct, I had to profess a lack of understanding. I think it's fairly obvious how the precept would relate to those who are married.

But how about to those who are not involved in adultery? How about gay relationships?

Your thoughts?

Well @vinlyn after all the comments ....are you any wiser ? (Or none the wiser ? :) )

Gee...I didn't know there was going to be a test! :o

I was actually thinking about this thread when I was at the temple today for another of the Sunday "events" as part of the Rains Retreats (and oddly, this time of year is the rainiest part of the year even in semi-arid Colorado!). In a lull during the ceremonies, two of the monks called me up to ask me the definition of "impermanence", and I told them "not forever", and specifically pointed out that the good and bad in life, and much of life is impermanent. Light dawned, but one of the monks said, "Only the Truth is permanent". I just smiled because I'm not sure even "the Truth" is permanent. Hell, we have trouble just figuring out what "the Truth is". (And, as a sort of aside, I was also thinking about the differences between Thai society -- where things are most often just accepted -- and American society -- where we tend to question things deeply...or at least frequently).

I like Jeffrey's "list". And while I think there is some room for interpretation of the Precept, I don't think it's "anything goes", or "if it feels good, do it". The harm factor is probably the key. But I think we probably don't think enough that factor in our sexual lives.

Shoshinperson
    edited July 2017

I just smiled because I'm not sure even "the Truth" is permanent.

"Everything evolves, will come to mean nothing is true"
    ~Nietzsche~

Thus have I heard, the Buddha said something similar
    "sabbe dhamma nalam abhinivesaya" (Nothing whatsoever should be clung to)

@vinlyn said:

Gee...I didn't know there was going to be a test! :o

There's always a test @vinlyn ...It could be a test on one's patience, tolerance, acceptance, compassion ...even on one's understanding ..However it's always an open mindbook test :)