Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sleep

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited September 2017 in Diet & Habits

Did the Buddha sleep?

Meditation allows many of us to sleep less. Some sleep so little they need a little help :mrgreen:
http://www.soundsleeping.com/index.php

Be well. iz plan!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/sep/06/lack-of-sleep-could-contribute-to-mental-health-problems-researchers-reveal

Comments

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited September 2017

I'm a great believer in 8 solid hours, and my body seems to encourage me to have more, on the order of 9 or 10 hours if it can be managed. I sometimes suffer from insomnia which does not help.

More to the point, I love sleep and the state my mind is in after I wake up, it's the closest I think to true peace that I have been able to come so far.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

7 hours is my magic number

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Did the Buddha sleep?

If he slept he wouldn't be the Buddha ...Think about it :winky:

As for this self.... I average around 8 hours ......so I'm a buddha for 16 hours (notice the small "b" :) )

Anyhow ...according to this research .....

The National Sleep Foundation

Results
    The panel agreed that, for healthy individuals with normal sleep, the appropriate sleep duration for newborns is between 14 and 17 hours, infants between 12 and 15 hours, toddlers between 11 and 14 hours, preschoolers between 10 and 13 hours, and school-aged children between 9 and 11 hours. For teenagers, 8 to 10 hours was considered appropriate, 7 to 9 hours for young adults and adults, and 7 to 8 hours of sleep for older adults.

Conclusions
    Sufficient sleep duration requirements vary across the lifespan and from person to person. The recommendations reported here represent guidelines for healthy individuals and those not suffering from a sleep disorder. Sleep durations outside the recommended range may be appropriate, but deviating far from the normal range is rare. Individuals who habitually sleep outside the normal range may be exhibiting signs or symptoms of serious health problems or, if done volitionally, may be compromising their health and well-being.

lobster