Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

When hightailing it from awful daily news, I click to...

Your turn...

ShoshinVastmindlobsterKundo

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Breaths of fresh air, each and every one..... :)

Dhammikalobster
  • When hightailing it from awful daily news, I click to...

Off

silverDhammikaFosdickKundo
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Look at a posey - or a picture of a posey.

lobsterDhammikaShoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

I just sit with it.....

Dhammikasilver
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited October 2017

@federica said:
    Breaths of fresh air, each and every one..... :)

Good answer. Good question too.
    We have to turn off from our tendencies too. Hence the need to enter good company, whether the breath, flowers, virtual beneficials or:

I very often go to the positive reinforcement of for example daily gratitude on https://insighttimer.com

... or and I feel it is a good option ... I create some positive and constructive post as @Dhammika has done.

Too many of us get caught in the 'news hell realms' or the 'personal hell realm' of bad thinking. In other words we keep company with a gibbering idiot monkey (that would be me).

Imagine a spiral of spin in control (focus) on the way out of samsara.

That is On.

Dhammikasilver
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I like You Tube science and knowledge channels. Of course there are plenty of negative places on You Tube as well so you need to have some restraint to not click on those.

lobster
  • Its pretty hard to get in trouble with only a radio. My computer is just about as slow as one can be. Yes still using dial-up. By design.

lobsterDhammika
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

The six sense doors are open all hours and all kinds of craps/data is constantly bombarding the mind...

Who or what monitors the comings and goings through the Gateless Gate

• IronRabbitIronRabbit Veteran
    edited October 2017

Although it may seem a blatant violation of the first precept......wait for it.....

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2AAu3Y/:j!Sx0Btb:17tKswUM9/ceriousproductions.com/25-sites-actually-kill-time/

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@person said:
    I like You Tube science and knowledge channels. Of course there are plenty of negative places on You Tube as well so you need to have some restraint to not click on those.

I stick with knitting, meditation/Buddhist talks and food.

Make of that what you will...! :D

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I tend to switch off when it becomes too much and go and do something else, whether that is talking a walk or reading a bit of a book.

• DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

lobsterJeroenKundo
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

I "click" to:

Dhammikasilverkarasti
  • So during the last precepts ceremony at my Zen center, media was mentioned in the context of the precept about abstaining from intoxicants. That was reassuring for me to hear, as I have struggled greatly with Internet-powered obsessions...

I am coming to the conclusion that the best way for me is to be extremely careful about what I expose myself to online and, indeed, minimize my time there as much as is humanly possible.

lobsterDhammika
  • That is in accord with Thich Nhat Hahn's rendering of the 5th precept @shadowleaver:

FIFTH PRECEPT

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I vow to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I vow to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancesters, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practicing a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

http://www.abuddhistlibrary.com/Buddhism/G - TNH/TNH/The Five Precepts/Five Wonderful Precepts.htm

shadowleaver