Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Guy Fawkes...Bah Humbug....

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran

Guy Fawkes will soon be upon us ...

"Remember remember the 5th of November gunpowder treason & plot...I know of no reason where the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot !" ....Um I do.....

Do you celebrate by burning an effigy of a fellow human being at the stake ? (Or for that matter polluting the air with smoke and frightening the life out of our animal companions with firecracker & rockets...)

Harmless fun ?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

You do realise Guido Fawkes wasn't actually burnt at the stake? And that his crime was not so much one of treason, but of Religion? he was Catholic, and attempting to demolish a Protestant Authority.

You're casting a fog over the real issue.

The Gunpowder Plot grew out of decades of religious war and persecution dating back to Henry VIII’s reign in the early sixteenth century.

Since then, hundreds of Protestant martyrs had been burned at the stake in England under ‘Bloody Mary’, while hundreds of Catholic were executed for treason under Queen Elizabeth I.

Catesby, the charismatic leader of the 6 plotters, persuaded his friends that God had decreed that King James and his supporters must be punished – in the most extreme fashion.

The Plot, we now know, failed, and two of the plotters - Guy Fawkes and Tom Winter - were hung drawn and quartered. The other 4 were killed in a shoot out In Staffordshire, to where they had fled.

The effigy was actually originally one of the Pope.
    In time, it was transformed into a 'Guy'.
    The reason being that England became friendly with Rome, and Catholicism eventually lived amicably alongside Protestantism.

lobsterKundo
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Neither acknowledged or celebrated in Australia.
    From memory, Kiwis bought fire works and let them off but, let's be honest, most probably don't even know who Guy Fawkes was.

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Tis all in the link provided :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited November 2017

@Shoshin said:
    Guy Fawkes will soon be upon us ...

"Remember remember the 5th of November gunpowder treason & plot...I know of no reason where the gunpowder treason should ever be forgot !" ....Um I do.....

Do you celebrate by burning an effigy of a fellow human being at the stake ? (Or for that matter polluting the air with smoke and frightening the life out of our animal companions with firecracker & rockets...)

Harmless fun ?

Nowadays, I could count on the fingers of one hand, the number of people who actually know any detail as to why we have this event. The majority of people have absolutely no clue as to its origins.
    Given that, I daresay the consideration of pollution hasn't ever crossed their minds, and the only people who care about their animal companions, are those humans whose companions they are.
    Thunder and lightning happens more frequently/year, than fireworks and bonfires.
    Natural phenomena tend to disturb animals in much the same way.

However, with proper behavioural examples, they can be conditioned to not be sacred.
    I've had three dogs as long-term pets, all of which had no fears regarding fireworks or thunderstorms.
    It's the way I brought them up....

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I enjoy V for Vendetta. That's all I got :) Not really celebrated in the US either (that I have ever experienced) and most people I know had no clue until V came out. Then when they checked it out, they were disappointed it wasn't quite so fun and dramatic as the movie was and mostly forgot about it.

I've always wondered how some pets come to be afraid of loud noises while some don't and wondered if training would help. We never have the issue, but we live a very short distance (less than a quarter mile) from an outdoor gun range, so loud noises are no strangers here.

edited November 2017

Each year there are warnings on TV and radio about keeping animal companions (pets) safe on the night...On the island there is going to be a firework display (and I think a bonfire) at the local dirt track ground this evening (the 4th)...However, rain is a blessing in disguise for the local volunteer fire service and people like myself who have a problem with smoke...Well guess what ??? ...It's raining... :)

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Bunks said:
    From memory, Kiwis bought fire works and let them off but, let's be honest, most probably don't even know who Guy Fawkes was.

I thought our cracker night was for the Queen's Birthday in winter. Though it was forbidden so long ago now I can't remember ?

edited November 2017

@dhammachick said:

@Bunks said:

I thought our cracker night was for the Queen's Birthday in winter. Though it was forbidden so long ago now I can't remember ?

@dhammachick I vaguely remember being told something similar when I first arrived in Oz...
    And coming from the UK where smoking was allowed in movie theatres, it was a pleasant surprise to find smoking was not permitted in Aussie movie theatres due to the high fire risks...