Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Endemic Disease Among Tibetan Monks

ShoshinShoshin No one in particularNowhere Special Veteran
edited November 2017 in Buddhism Today

I came across an interesting Aussie doco regarding "The Endemic Disease Among Tibetan Monks" (Runs for around 25 minutes)

A friend who visits Tibetan Monasteries in India quite a bit, told me that one of the most common ailments for Tibetan Dharma teachers in the West is (believe it or not) 'stress'...She went on to explain how they are bombarded with their student's problems day in day out...and when they go back for a visit to India one of their first port of calls is to the local Tibetan Shaman for a quick pick-me-up... :)

BTW The doco is not about them being stressed out (by their whining students and their worries) , it's more serious...

BunkspersonUkjunglist

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Very nice, thanks for sharing.

Shoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

Watched it, interesting how such a common complaint turns out to be a stomach bug. It’s difficult to get entirely away from the consequences of living in a country where people are not so set on hygiene.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

^^Yup!^^ Sometimes, the choice is stark and basic. "This will either work - or it won't!"

HozanUkjunglist
  • techietechie India Veteran

@Ukjunglist said:

@Kerome said:
    Watched it, interesting how such a common complaint turns out to be a stomach bug. It’s difficult to get entirely away from the consequences of living in a country where people are not so set on hygiene.

I remember Ajahn Brahm talking about when he was studying under Ajahn Chah in Thailand, and how poor the hygiene was in his location. He ended up in hospital on the brink of death, and Ajahn Chah came to visit and simply said 'you will either pull through and recover, or you're going to die' lol

Hope he wasn't a doctor before he became a monk. ;)

UkjunglistShoshinlobsterDavid
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

Due to the harsh and often cold conditions in some parts of Tibet, washing ones body was not a priority...However times are changing and hygiene practices are also improving ... But I guess Old habits die hard ( Conditioning comes to mind)