Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Attempting to recall something

BeckettBeckett Indianapolis New

My beloved late mother-in-law studied Tibetan Buddhism at the temple in Bloomington, Indiana. What little I know of the belief system, I learned from her. She always used one prayer at meals, which I only partially remember, and which is unlike any that I've seen when researching it on sites like Belief.net. Does anyone recognize this? I recall only, "Before That-Which-Is we bow, and give thanks..." I've forgotten several lines, but I always thought it was the loveliest of prayers.

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I searched too, and could find nothing specific, but maybe this old thread of ours may prove helpful, if not a concrete or precise answer....

http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/5518/buddhist-form-of-grace-prayer-before-eating

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

You might find what you're looking for in this old thread... On Buddhist grace prayers....Metta

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Not what you are looking for but I always found it quite nice. It is from the practice of Oryoki
    We reflect on the effort that brought us this food and consider how it comes to us.
    We reflect on our virtue and practice, and whether we are worthy of this offering.
    We regard it as essential to free ourselves of excesses such as greed.
    We regard this food as good medicine to sustain our life.
    For the sake of enlightenment, we now receive this food.

• BeckettBeckett Indianapolis New

Thanks so much to each of you who replied. None of the threads led me to quite the prayer I recall Mary speaking, but some were so beautiful that I know I could use them in good heart, still remembering her as I say the blessing.

David
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Beckett have you tried contacting the centre ?

David
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran
    edited November 2017

@Beckett said:
    My beloved late mother-in-law studied Tibetan Buddhism at the temple in Bloomington, Indiana. What little I know of the belief system, I learned from her. She always used one prayer at meals, which I only partially remember, and which is unlike any that I've seen when researching it on sites like Belief.net. Does anyone recognize this? I recall only, "Before That-Which-Is we bow, and give thanks..." I've forgotten several lines, but I always thought it was the loveliest of prayers.

Im not familar with Tibetan but I like the intellectual view. Here is what I found and the Dhamma talks by Chodron I listen to daily.

1. Prayers before eating

2. Chodron Grace before meals