Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Soto Vs Rinzai

https://hubpages.com/religion-philosophy/Soto-and-Rinzai-Japans-Major-Schools-of-Zen-Buddhism

An interesting article on the main differences between the Soto and Rinzai schools of Zen.
Of course there are a lot more things they have have in common than they differ on.
Gassho.
Hozan.

ShoshinBuddhadragon

Comments

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

that's wierd?i might be idiot savant zen guy.sometimes i sit and watch tv doing nothing in my teanage years.now i mind fuck my brain.but learning moderation.

HozanShoshinlobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I find it very interesting, the different directions that Buddhism has evolved into over the centuries. Thanks for the article, it’s clarified a few things about how the Zen schools operate in Japan.

Hozan
  • Shoshin is Zen for Beginners Mind. ??
    @Shoshin

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Hozan said:
    Shoshin is Zen for Beginners Mind. ??
    @Shoshin

Bugger!!!....This means I'll have to start all over again ;)

lobsterHozanKundoyagr
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Join the club...

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited November 2017

Bugger is Zen for "This too shall pass" ;)

HozanBuddhadragon
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited November 2017

You don't even want to know what my Mom told me it meant but I don't say it.

KundoShoshinHozan
  • kandokando northern Ireland Veteran

@Shoshin said:

Soto Vs Rinzai

For a moment I thought it was going to be a Zen Samurai warrior fight... ;):lol:

So.........

The Soto approach is to sit around and do absolutely nothing, ( the self gets bore and leaves) whilst the Rinzai approach is to f#*k with ones mind ( the self becomes so confused it eventually packs up and leaves) :) ...

The end result both commit/lead to partial "Harakiri Egocide (leaving just enough ego to act as a convenient analytic device )...

_Different strokes (of the Samurai sword) for different (warrior)

A perfect summation, master, Dogen would be proud! Actually he would probably hit you with a big stick but it's the thought that counts.

Shoshin
    edited June 2018

Some of the thoughts that count can be found here - have Dogen's Shobogenzo complete - huge file though! sorry about clumsy linking! <3

Mod note: Fixed!!

lobster
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

The Soto approach is to sit around and do absolutely nothing, (the self gets bore and leaves) whilst the Rinzai approach is to f#*k with ones mind (the self becomes so confused it eventually packs up and leaves) :) ...

Ay caramba! Perfect summation.

Attaining 'nothing thought' or no-thought is very skilfull. Most of us ... or maybe just me, sit with 'absolutely everything' including the kitchen sink. Beginner mind? One can but dream of a tamed monkey ... no more bull ...
    http://www.oxherding.com

The end result both commit/lead to partial "Harakiri Egocide (leaving just enough ego to act as a convenient analytic device)...

Gruesome. Who will clean up the Rinzai mess? To put it another way,

I ❤ the ten oxen and mods B)

• Dogen called Rinzai sect "the school of koans". You call it "the school of brainf#cking"? :)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited August 2018

@Fikus_Religiosa said:
    Dogen called Rinzai sect "the school of koans". You call it "the school of brainf#cking"? :)

What is the sound of one brain f#cking....?

person

Haiku and Koan
    Both contain the letter 'K'
    Both tickle the Mind.