Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Real-eyes-ing we are all ready the buddha

What an incredible journey of self/no-self discovery buddhism is..Glad to have found you all. I have a local sangha that I practice with and my lineage and zen master is Saen Seong, the first korean Zen buddhist here in america.

He says
"I don't teach korean. I don't teach Zen. I don't even teach Buddhism. I teach I don't know."

From the very beginning, all beings are the buddha....
Zen master Hakuin..

May you be free from suffering in this now..

BunksUkjunglistlobsterwojciechHozanBuddhadragonelcra1goShoshin

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

If you "don't know," what good would it do you?
    If you "do know," what good would it do you?

From this it can be known that what is good for you is suspect at best ... just like what is bad for you. :)

lobsterFosdickNadlatst
  • :scream:

@FoibleFull it is too much for me ... think I will adopt one of the fantasy religions ?

Nope ? can not do it. The Truth is so much more ... honest ...

Recently posted about the 6 r’s
    worth reposting link
    https://www.dhammasukha.org/the-6rs.html

Think I will concentrate on re-mind-smiling ... =)

ZenshinNadlatst
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I have heard it said that you can only drop the effort of becoming when you have given your maximum. That if you say, “if I already am, then I don’t need to expend the effort” that you end up missing the point. Although ultimately it is true.

lobsterNadlatst
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

I don't feel like a Buddha... :p

• NadlatstNadlatst earth Explorer

@genkaku said:
    If you "don't know," what good would it do you?
    If you "do know," what good would it do you?

From this it can be known that what is good for you is suspect at best ... just like what is bad for you. :)

Agreed..What I know is I don't know.

@SpinyNorman said:

you have expectations of what a Buddha is then. ;)
    It's all about letting go of views, concepts, opinions, beliefs..

• @SpinyNorman said:

Do they come in neopolitan flavour? o:)

@Nadlatst said:

Tee hee.
    The more we let go, the easier it is to understand grasping at straws, fullness as emptiness, opinions, beliefs and expression as all being ... gone already ..

Nadlatst
  • "I teach I don't know"

Wonderful
    :+1:

Nadlatst
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

I practice in the same lineage. Kyol Che retreat at providence zen center is highly recommended if you ever get the chance. =)

lobsterNadlatst
  • Glad to have found you all.

Where was I ...

... Ah yes the unknown ...

The viking image I posted is missing half a head ...
    ... more info of this ancient dharma link ...
    http://irisharchaeology.ie/2013/12/the-helgo-treasure-a-viking-age-buddha/

@lobster said:

@SpinyNorman said:

Do they come in neopolitan flavour? o:)

@Nadlatst said:

Tee hee.
    The more we let go, the easier it is to understand grasping at straws, fullness as emptiness, opinions, beliefs and expression as all being ... gone already ..

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...Good one

>

Tee hee.

Please elaborate..

• @Nadlatst said:
    "I don't teach korean. I don't teach Zen. I don't even teach Buddhism. I teach I don't know."

"I don't know" is a good place to start. It's where you end up anyways. ;)

Buddhadragon
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Snakeskin said:
    "I don't know" is a good place to start. It's where you end up anyways. ;)

"I don't know" is the starting-point and "I know even less" is the finish-line.

As they say, in Zen -and Buddhism at large- we don't find the answers, but drop all the questions.

lobsterHozan
  • @Nadlatst said:
    Please elaborate..

Simplify! :p

• FelinoFelino Portugal New

We must realize we don't exist as separate permanent entities... Selves...otherwise we are just being hipnotized by the master or by the sutras...

• Yes, We are all Buddhas. That is, we all have the life condition we call Buddha. Awakening to that in our life, not our empty gourds, is the part that takes effort.
    Mind games take us in circles. "What is isn't; What isn't is"
    I am reminded of a story of two monks arguing over or discussing the nature or true purpose of a bucket of water. While they were in the of their argument or discussion, a third monk picked up the bucket and poured the water onto some nearby plants. Thus the function of the water was determined neither by discussion nor argument but by action.

Peace to all

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited November 2017

As per the Heart Sutra - no sentient being, no Buddha, nothing whatsoever. Then what is it? As (if I remember the Zen teacher's name correctly) Nanquan taught - just this is it. Suchness. Practice-enlightenment was one word for Dogen.
    Another koan in Zen (if I remember it correctly, but it was something like this) - What is Buddha? This mind itself is Buddha. What is Buddha? No mind, no Buddha.

• misecmisc1misecmisc1 I am a Hindu India Veteran
    edited November 2017

@misecmisc1 said:
    As per the Heart Sutra - no sentient being, no Buddha, nothing whatsoever. Then what is it? As (if I remember the Zen teacher's name correctly) Nanquan taught - just this is it. Suchness. Practice-enlightenment was one word for Dogen.
    Another koan in Zen (if I remember it correctly, but it was something like this) - What is Buddha? This mind itself is Buddha. What is Buddha? No mind, no Buddha.

Sorry for not specifying the teacher's name correctly in above post (but I am not good in remembering Chan/Zen teachers' names, so sorry about that), but as per the below story at webpage https://terebess.hu/zen/dongshan-eng2.html , the teacher's name seems to be Yunyan, who taught - Just this is it. The story is below:
    Eventually Liangjie decided to leave Master Yunyan's place and continue traveling. As he was preparing to leave, the master asked him, “Where are you going?”
    Liangjie said, “Although I'm going, I don't know where I'll end up.”
    The master said, “If you leave, it will be difficult to meet again.”
    Liangjie said, “I feel it will be difficult not to meet.”
    The master didn't respond.
    Just as Liangjie was about to depart, he asked the master, “If in the future someone asks if I have a true picture of Master Yunyan, how should I respond?”
    After a long pause the master said, “Just this is it.”
    Liangjie was silent.
    Then Master Yunyan said, “Venerable Jie, now that you have taken on this great matter, you must pay very careful attention.”
    Liangjie departed.

• Liangjie departed.

Just like the Buddha ... o:)