Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Back door open, Front door ajar...

federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky...Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, 2017 is about to take its leave... I see it donning its coat, hat, scarf and gloves and heading for the back door... I can't honestly say I'm sorry to see it go.

It's been a funny ol' year...

But the New Year is toddling up the path, carrying a bag bigger than itself.... Many surprises, I think...

What does it have in store for you, that you are definitely planning for?

Comments

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

I half-wish I could learn to get a handle on "bitcoin," but I'm afraid it takes more energy than I've got, swapping one belief system for another. A bit of whimsy, I suppose.

lobster
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited December 2017

Thanks, @genkaku, that was wonderful, and truly inspirational.

(I have no idea what he just said. )

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

(I have no idea what he just said. )

@federica -- I just thought I was being invited to gaze into my handy-dandy crystal ball and imagine the potential (or lack thereof) in the upcoming year.

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

My kids have invested small amounts in bitcoin. My brain can't really grasp it but I admit I haven't tried too hard.

My plans for 2018- which started a few days ago, I try to get away from my previous ideas that starting new things is best for A. Monday B. The first of the month or C. a new year. Today is as good a day as any to start a new good habit etc!

Anyhow:
    To be more organized so I'm not missing out on things I want to do and so my time is a little better structured. I find if I don't have a basic outline of my day, I waste a lot of time and I'm tired of doing so. By wasting time I mean not knowing what else to do so I get on the internet. Keeping lists of projects and tasks should help that I hope.

A family trip to Canada. We could actually walk across the border during a day hike (about 12 miles) at this time of year thanks to frozen lakes, but to drive is about 4 hours! My kids want to spend some time in Thunder Bay, ON, which is just across the border.

Get out to visit my college son in the spring at least once. He comes home frequently (he's about 5 hours drive away) but likes to have visitors.

To start a better savings plan. Too much of our $ goes up in smoke and we've spent the past 6 months tracking where it's going. So now we are making changes and plans to save more so that we have a better plan for car repairs and other such things, as well as starting a savings plan for our bucket list honeymoon to Australia.

I won't miss 2017. It was alright enough for us on a personal level but the upheaval has been a headache. Though, that part, I don't expect to resolve magically in the next year. If anything, parts of it will heat up again with midterm elections coming. I hope being more involved in the projects in my life will keep me less mentally involved in the stuff I can't control.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

I tend to let life come to me rather than plan too much.

Now the kids are getting older I’d like to take them on a longer holiday up north in winter to escape the cold.

Apart from that just see what happens.

Shoshin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran
    edited December 2017

What does it have in store for you, that you are definitely planning for?

Nothing...for obvious reasons ....Change is inevitable - Suffering is optional... So I plan for nothing in particular -which covers all possibilities ....(Well apart from holding on to a wish for every sentient being to be free from suffering that is...Which i guess that is the plan)

Bunks
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited December 2017

I hope to sit on both sides of this cushion/zafu I bought today. One side has a built in rinpoche (precious jewel)

... the other side is zen black ... Only £9, worth every penny sitting ... =)

HozanKundoJeroen
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

oh and more focus on creativity. This is something I'm really just exploring for the first time since I was a kid. I was pretty creative and then I started comparing my "works" to other kids, and determined I wasn't nearly so good as them so why bother? It has been an area severely lacking in my life, which I had chalked up to "I'm just not a creative person" but I think all of us are creative, and expanding what that means to me has been a big challenge, but finally getting there. I spend time every day writing, doodling, exploring.

• KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

Well I'm working up to NYE so I'm really looking forward to 2018. The only thing I can really hope for in 2018 is to find a working treatment for my illness and to finally acquire the true ability to let go of things.

federicaBunks
  • @karasti
    your writing is creative ...

... crafty as in cooking @federica style, my love of taking photographs, others drawing skills or poetry etc. all creative.

The creative, generative ability is very much to the fore in magical dharma styles such as Tantric Buddhism. Words generate ideas. What is incense if not the creation or evoking of mind ...

Oh ... and if sitting on a cushion, ever noticed how creative the mind is?

Not creative? Pah! <3

• tee hee @federica

New Yearly resolutions:

• To make 100 resolutions before the minute is out. FAIL!
      Success. No more plan iz plan,

• find the elusive 'health cake' (made with 100% fruit and veg)

• exercise by standing up (chi-kung)
    • invent new sitting posture (may involve bath and waterproof cushion)
    Hozan
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran

It's still 2 hours away for us here yet.

I'm planning to be more financially responsible this year since we finally get our raise starting on the 1st. Was supposed to get it in October but the government decided to raise the minimum wage for January so we had to wait til now.

I'm supposed to be donating a kidney to my daughter's godnana (my good friends mother who is kind of like my 2nd mom) so I'm planning for that. She got a blood infection a few days before she was supposed to have her nephrectomy so now we have to wait for her to level out proper. Her kidneys have to come out and then she has to heal for 3 months before she can have mine as her colon and stuff have been crushed.

She's in a lot of pain today and her surgeon isn't around til the 10th so we're all a bit concerned.

Crap, I was supposed to do a support thread about this, not go on about it on this one. Oh well, lol.

I'll make a resolution to post the right material in the right thread.

ShoshinnakazcidlobsterHozan
  • nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

My resolution is the same this year as it is every year.

It is to not have a resolution. I always succeed brilliantly.

Kundo
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Bunks
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@nakazcid said:
    My resolution is the same this year as it is every year.

It is to not have a resolution. I always succeed brilliantly.

Ditto