Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Changing meditations

JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matterNetherlands Veteran

I thought for today I would change my meditation from a meditation on the breath in the abdomen to just sitting with a concentration on improved focus, and it had some very surprising results. There was an interesting energy sensation, as if things were being withdrawn from me, which I thought seemed right and good. It was like there were elements in me that were out of tune with my source which were removed.

It’s interesting the stuff the mind throws up trying to interpret these sensations, it builds a whole story and tries to tempt you into jumping in and taking control. And the moment you move away from meditation you get lost in the story, the withdrawal stops, like a sign you are getting too involved.

I finished off the day with a little laughing meditation... good way to shed vibes from an intense meditation.

SnakeskinBunksseeker242ShoshinCarlitakarasti

Comments

• Intense meditation?
    Not for me thank you ... mindful or mindless?

ShoshinshadowleaverSnakeskin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Well, here was I believing it wasn't a happening thing for me, and I discover that actually, perhaps it is...

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

thanks lobster ...saw a little bit of the video.good to know i can sit on my chair and "meditate". i just lately,sit and be while watching tv.i guess i drop the absorbtion aspect or jhanna and rest in the middle of mindful and mindless sorta a dispassion feeling. im always experimenting.expert?nope!

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

The “just sitting, doing nothing” mindfulness meditation is doing me a lot of good, although I’ve had to vary it a little with some chanting. I find it more restful somehow than meditating on the breath in various forms.

I’m finding that I still have a lot of doubt, impatience, anger especially when something hurts me. I may have a good grip on these things in real life, but when my meditating mind throws up a scenario I still have the tendency to react immediately from impatience, and my anger can get the better of me.

In the real world it is easier to maintain an even keel, to delay responses until you can respond from the wisdom mind and not from your immediate reaction. That does not mean that you have shed your anger or your desire though. I found a lot of reading and practice allows you to suppress the poisons and it feels like you’re making progress, you feel happier.

• @Kerome, I can relate. Whatever erupts in my mind during sitting meditation, I'm aware my body and tongue, despite whatever mental reactions occurr, remain still. Sometimes I'm "just sitting, doing nothing" but building tolerance, waiting for it to pass. That transfers into the real world, where it's also easier for me to maintain an even keel, but that process unfolds quicker. I don't know if that's age or meditation or both, but I suspect the meditations that suck but continue have as much to do with it as those that don't suck.

• That combination of shikantanza (just sitting) and very quiet chanting works for me too at the moment @Kerome :)

Being mindful whilst watching TV is possible @paulyso but I personally find it very hard, nearly impossible.

lobster,the technique i use is broad sight approach,with the hearing organ as my object of listening.put it another way passive viewing and passive hearing if the aime is dispassion meditation.but i can turn the switch on being engage if i like the show.

just had a cleavor thought,sit and be and do and be.the intention is the transition on and off my meditation chair.

• When watching TV, I'm mindful of my own posture while imagining the skeletons of the likenesses on the screen. It's one of those passive, mindless activities conducive to body contemplation. I have the first two season 7 discs of Game of Thrones from Netflix. I'm gonna go practice body contemplation now. :p

lobster
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

I woke up this morning feeling somewhat assaulted by the night and heavy, for some reason thoughts of the devil had been plagueing me and it had left me in not a good space.

So I started off with a bit of laughing meditation - quickly becoming a new favourite - and followed up with one and a half hours of something new, surrendering to the ultimate. I lay on my back and did nothing but letting go of all bonds, relaxing and surrendering my will to the ultimate. I didn’t let myself get caught up in any stories, and finished with a little abdominal breathing.

It was an exceptionally easy meditation and at the end I feel light and energised and free, and at peace with my environment. Will be trying this one again.

SnakeskinJeffrey
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran

@Kerome said:> So I started off with a bit of laughing meditation -

Do you need to read a joke or something? :p

Shoshin