Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Open your present.

To: You

One’s “mind becomes steadied internally, quieted, brought to singleness, and concentrated.”

Merry Christmas

BunksShoshinDavid

Comments

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Thanks! You too

Snakeskin
  • Why would I want to remove or add anything? :3
    I don't get it. Don't think of an elephant meditation? Present returned unopened.

Maybe it is the thought that does not count ... <3

Snakeskin
  • @lobster said:
    Why would I want to remove or add anything? :3

In theory it would be easier to see the pile of a pile of rocks if the rocks were successively moved out of the way. :3

I don't get it. Don't think of an elephant meditation? Present returned unopened.

Maybe it is the thought that does not count ... <3

This one was for later, but I guess we can open it now.

Open your “present”

To: You

“Look upon the world as empty, ever mindful....”

<3

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

that last present was a doozy.king death might be watching me lighting my deathsticks--smokes.i think im cool with that.

Snakeskin

lately ive accepted the fact i will die one day.but optimistic to die on my death bed,fingers cross--my ideal.

Snakeskin
  • SnakeskinSnakeskin Veteran
    edited December 2017

@paulyso said:
    that last present was a doozy.king death might be watching me lighting my deathsticks--smokes.i think im cool with that.

Mine are hand rolled, no filters. After 30 years of smoking, I often wonder if breath is really the right meditation object for me. Perhaps, although probably not the way I'd like.

lately ive accepted the fact i will die one day.but optimistic to die on my death bed,fingers cross--my ideal.

My problem with contemplating death is I'm still not entirely convinced there's anything after. It's peaceful, but sometimes in a subtle craving-for-nonexistence kind of way. Reflecting on the last moment of life, though, which can come at any moment, I've concluded that in that moment death takes everything. If nothing is clung to in that moment, death has nothing to take. Fixating on the inevitability of that moment makes me acutely aware of being alive and clinging.

paulyso

snakeskin,ive been a smoker for twenty two years now.personally prefer the filters.my breathing seems ok when i use breath as an object .the habit still there.but yea the quality of our breathing could be better.but now im trying to shift breath as an object to the visual sense organ as an object.what i do is just look in a parifial way or broad sight.personally my mind cant grasph any particular object which in way relaxes the mind.that is why ive heard zen student stair at a wall.the mind using the eye as its object cant grasph.

on the subject of death and next life , i hear you on the doubt, and uncertainty.but faith and doubt meet.my heart trust buddha ,when he states ,something like, there is this life and the next.but still i try not grasp on the contemplation of death.live now for there is a life of hope and potential in our buddhist walk. and i do agree letting go ,non clinging is our aime when our time is up.

Snakeskin

and seeing the inner world as empty is calming and peaceful,our bundle of aggregate.

SnakeskinShoshin
  • DairyLamaDairyLama Veteran Veteran
    edited January 2018

@Snakeskin said:
    “Look upon the world as empty, ever mindful....”

This reminded me of the Sunna Sutta:

"Insofar as it is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self: Thus it is said, Ananda, that the world is empty. And what is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self? The eye is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self. Forms... Eye-consciousness... Eye-contact is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self.
    "The ear is empty...
    "The nose is empty...
    "The tongue is empty...
    "The body is empty...
    "The intellect is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self. Ideas... Intellect-consciousness... Intellect-contact is empty of a self or of anything pertaining to a self. Thus it is said that the world is empty."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.085.than.html

I like this one because I work regularly with the sense-bases.

Snakeskin