Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

wisdom is redundant?

genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

Seems likely, but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I guess I don't really know what you mean. What do you see it as being redundant of? Mindfulness, knowledge, intelligence, common sense, something else?

karasti
  • CarlitaCarlita Bastian please! Save us! United States Veteran

@genkaku said:

Maybe its.

"Knowledge is a redundant lecture; wisdom is a redundent teacher. The knowledgable takes notes and the wise one listens" -Carlita

Snakeskin
  • karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

Amongst humanity, yes. Nothing wise is unique to one person and one person alone. It is something we are all capable of, and many times have experienced, just some are less able to put it into words or even bother trying. Otherwise, I couldn't take a stab at it because my initial reaction was the same as person's of "redundant to what, exactly?"

Often, really, it seems like wisdom is just a million different ways to attempt to explain a handful of experiences.

• His friend, Mansour, comes to visit him and sees Nasruddin on his hands and knees, crawling on the sidewalk under the street lamp, obviously searching for something, appearing frustrated.

Concerned for his friend, Mansour asks, "Nasruddin, what are you looking for? Did you lose something?"

"Yes, Mansour. I lost the key to my house, and I’m trying to find it, but I can’t."

"Let me help you," responds Mansour. Mansour joins his friend, kneels down on his hands and knees, and begins to crawl on the sidewalk under the street lamp, searching.

After a time, having looked everywhere on and around the sidewalk, neither Nasruddin nor Mansour can find the lost key. Puzzled, Mansour asks his friend to recall his steps when he last had the key, "Nasruddin, where did you lose the key? When did you last have it?"

"I lost the key in my house," Nasruddin responds.

"In your house?" repeats the astonished Mansour. "Then why are we looking for the key here, outside on the sidewalk under this street lamp?”

Without hesitation, Nasruddin explains, “Because there is more light here . . . !”
    https://simplemindzen.blogspot.co.uk/2009/02/nasrudin-lamp-and-key.html

Resignation is in the post ...

ZenshinVastmind
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

wisdom is redundant?

That's crazy ....wisdom ;)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Wisdom is not redundant. It's just 'invisible'. That is, those whose wisdom is a greater treasure than gold, cannot be heard, because the "worthless" wisdom of those who are sadly greater in number, is drowning it out with cacophonous insistence.
    We just need to up the volume and test the worthless wisdom with our in-built karatmeter.

Vastmindkarasti
  • Only Buddha Thor can save us from un-wisdom...
    https://tinyurl.com/yb8h9qlr

“The perfect man is like a mirror; it does not move with things, nor does it anticipate them; it receives but does not retain them. Therefore he is able to deal with things, but he is not affected by them.”
    Chuang Tzu
    https://thedixietaoist.wordpress.com/2017/01/03/emptiness/

Apart from active, compassionate, crazy, gold, mirror wisdom types, we also have empty wisdom.

Now interestingly it is transparent or empty of qualities. As soon as it becomes 'the opposing viewpoint’ it kinda twirls into its opposite yin-yang style ... Better still, not even there in the first place ...

ZenshinVastmind
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Since redundant generally means that something isn't needed any more, has served it's purpose. I would say that no, wisdom is definitely not redundant. I think it's more needed than ever.

Maybe the modern world mostly seems to feel that wisdom is redundant, so maybe practically speaking it's being treated that way.

Zenshinkarasti
  • I don't understand, OP. Could you elaborate?

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@genkaku said:

I don’t think it’s redundant, since it’s the way to distinguish skilful means.

ZenshinSnakeskin
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

wisdom is redundant ?

Hmm....

....When it comes to teeth ...

Snakeskin
  • DavidDavid A human residing in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Ancestral territory of the Erie, Haudenosaunee, Huron-Wendat, Mississauga and Neutral First Nations Veteran
    edited February 2018

If wisdom is redundant then so is compassion but I don't think that's the case.

The cutting edge of yesterday is obsolete tomorrow and our scientific achievements must be tempered by wisdom or everything is redundant.

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

redundant in multiple copy or pattern?testible?wise not to hurt and so fourth of the five precept.the redundant conventional wisdom to avoid pain or trouble.imo definately redundant to avoid or minimalize dukkha in conventional wisdom.

personally im a reduntant type of guy,in example,i need extra same set of tools..."crazy" me.

• <3@paulyso your heart is wise. Be as sane as you can and stay kind. Simple wisdom really ...

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

thank you lobster.