Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Film: the Bucket List

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited February 2018 in Arts & Writings

This is by now a relatively old film from 2007 but I saw it for the first time recently. I thought it was of interest to myself as a Buddhist both with explicit mentions of things connected to Buddhism (Himalayas and mention of Buddhism) and also just thinking of death and dying. Another interesting film to me as a Buddhist was Groundhog Day as another example of a film that isn't a 'Buddhist film' but maybe has some ideas of interest.

But just to refresh memory or explain a bit to a newcomer to the film there are two characters introduced and I don't remember their names in the film so for me they are Morgan (Freeman) and Jack (Nicholson). Morgan is brilliant with trivia and is a good family man father of three whereas Jack is a businessman who enjoys making money and living 'the good life'.

They meet each other as they both get a cancer diagnosis and they undergo chemotherapy in the same room and both experience nausea chills and both have the same prognosis of not much left to live. Here one theme to me is introduced by Jack having a fancy plate of meats and cheeses with his manservant nearby to prepare it. He offers to Morgan but Morgan says no thank you. Later it shows Jack vomiting up the food. To me this could just be showing some differences between the characters but also to me it reminded me of an idea from Buddhism that fine foods or basic foods there is the same result of sickness. Like a hangover from 200 dollars of scotch or from a 15 dollar case of beer is both painful.

Later the film goes on to develop their relationship and their lives in the face of death as they go on to try to complete a 'bucket list' of things like sky diving or other things they never quite got around to. I might write more later but curious if anyone else either liked this movie or thought it was thoughtful or both.

Snakeskin

Comments

• I recall liking it and thinking there was a depth to it, but a decade old memory of a movie can't be refreshed. I'll have to watch it again.

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

It's also interesting, in terms of when the film came out, to note how far we have also come... this was 11 years ago.
    We're 11 years closer to dying ourselves.... Life is indeed, a terminal 'illness'....

SnakeskinkarastiHozan
  • I liked the movie.

It did not seem mawkish or sentimental over their illnesses.

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran
    edited February 2018

Might also try "The Straight Story ," which is a kind of "Bucket List" without the money and is based on a true story.
    (

JeffreyLee82
  • Lee82Lee82 Veteran

@genkaku said:
    Might also try "The Straight Story ," which is a kind of "Bucket List" without the money and is based on a true story.
    (

Watched this last night, it was great, thanks.

• For those of interested in cloistered life of a non-sangha type, some of us might enjoy/find useful
    Novitiate about becoming a Catholic nun (Buddha protect us?)

I did go on a week long retreat for those thinking of joining the Catholic Sangha. Everyone was also interviewed privately. By the end of the week I realised that one religions dogma was not as good as anothers. I was already aware of other options. By the Grace of Cod, probably due to being too fishy I was spared/overlooked/deemed totally unsuitable. Holy Mary, Mother of Cod be praised ... :p

• genkakugenkaku Northampton, Mass. U.S.A. Veteran

@federica -- Wonderful! Reminds me of a time when a bunch of sangha members were idly gossiping in a coffee shop, everyone taking a shot at what they wanted to be when they "grew up." Sez one 40-something woman, "I want to be a rich ... sexy ... saint!"

lobster
  • She'll be back ...

Ay caramba!

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

She stayed away too long....

The older generation will be cynical.
    But for the younger generation? Magical.....

• Here is one for the fish eating Buddhists :3

Jiro Dreams of Sushi
    Wonderful

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

We had a rare and very strong wind out of the east with a storm system the other day. I was indeed watching closely for Mary Poppins to arrive! @federica

lobster