Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I Live on Youtube.

silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded.USA, Left coast. Veteran

Ahem...you know how it goes: First, FB - then a little Twitter - and I'm back on Twitter hanging out almost every day and 'follow' everyone who follows me although I'm getting a little tired of that. So now, I'm back to YouTube -- with a vengeance, I'd say.

I've discovered so many wonderful YT (whatever you want to call them - stations?) - I watch a young couple and their kidlet while they travel in their RV. Very light, family type stuff. So much to see and learn. It can build up hope for dreams, but I know better, having jumped in the Buddha puddle, LoL.

If I had a better memory, I'd mention some of the YT channels, but suffice to say, many about losing weight (Supersize vs Superskinny - which I've been known to binge-watch), My 600 - Pound Life - easy one to remember, and earlier today, I discovered there are channels called 'Mukbang' - eating - usually one person eating stuff - amazing! The first one I stumbled on's called HungryFatChick - amazing! The second one I tried really hit the spot big time: Quang Tran. The man cat eat - BUT he also cooks - like Everything. So blown away by his talents, oh my. He makes everything from scratch - including pasta - it makes me want to do it but I have physical limitations that keeps me from it, dang! All this, just to say I think you'd be amazed - not to mention entertained by him.

personherberto

Comments

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2018

I saw an AMSR note on his video. Is that why you like it or are you a foodie?

I follow lots of the science and knowledge channels. You Tube has lots of good, supportive communities similar to newbuddhist. There are also lots of toxic areas. I've heard a TED talk that talked about how You Tube's algorithm tends to recommend videos that will lead you deeper down whatever rabbit hole you choose and many can lead to some pretty extreme areas. So if you can be mindful and selective about what you choose to consume, it can be a wholesome, enriching experience. If you just let it carry you away it can lead to unhealthy, dark corners of the human psyche.

SnakeskinJeroen
  • silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

I have no idea what an AMSR note is. I tend to ignore if I don't know what the initials stand for. I was surprised about the 'mukbang' concept. I love how he can put anything together, no matter what part of the world the recipes come from. It's not like how the HungryFatChick just goes to a restaurant or brings home take-away. He preps the food quickly and it ends up looking awesome.

I get the darkness -- I cringe at many if not most of the videos with conspiratorial tones - so overdramatic and hard to take it seriously.

• personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran
    edited March 2018

AMSR Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, there are You Tube communities centered on it. It seems he has 2 channels and this one is more about food, the other is AMSR.

• BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Just to add a little balance @silver ?

Snakeskinsilver
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I watch a lot of food prep instruction videos; anyone reading the Low Carb High Fat thread will know I recently made tempeh and natto... both tutorials were on youtube, and things turned out well, because I watched several videos on each subject. The same goes for my previous (highly-successful, I might add) forays into making sauerkraut and kimchi, both of which I absolutely love. I also viewed videos on home-made yoghurt, and kefir, with good results....

I've of course also watched a ton of knitting tutorials, resulting in a lot of knitted gifts for many of my colleagues and friends... both needle knitting and loom creations....

In lighter moments, I'm afraid I find those 'fail' videos a total scream, particularly when even before the fail occurs, you can see it a mile off, while the poor victim hasn't got a bonny clue....

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

Thx for the video, @Bunks. Appreciate that. I've continued to watch a variety of cooking type videos, eating type videos, and enjoying the unique personalities and tastes of the people. Some foods I've never seen in my life - some that disgust me, and some that makes me want to try them. Like the Giggly cakes - think they're made in Japan.

I know the QT guy does a ton of cooking, but I noticed he doesn't 'know' some of the finer points that I happen to know or have ferretted out how to correct some of his techniques. It's not just going ga-ga over eating or watching others eat.

Bunks

I found his cache of asmr videos, and I left a comment about him inviting bad things like diabetes into his life by his extreme eating habits. fwiw

• NamadaNamada Veteran
    edited March 2018

A poem from Roald Dahl a message too me and all the children and adults who is addicted to a screen :P

Shoshin
  • lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2018

I've heard a TED talk that talked about how You Tube's algorithm tends to recommend videos that will lead you deeper down whatever rabbit hole you choose and many can lead to some pretty extreme areas.

Indeed. The important thing to remember is Google is trying to encourage you into advertisers areas (which they get income from). More and more force fed click bait and reality bubbles. In other words you are not independently searching but being manipulated ... not so different from farcebork (as used by followers) and twitter (as used by twits).
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/apr/01/ethics-software-engineers-cambridge-analytica

However I find it is possible to use any media constructively and often use online reviews, how to videos and mantras etc.

It is about being disciplined when participating in too much nonsense ... which in our connected world is not as easy as it sounds ...

... maybe I will take up hasya yoga

person
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

... maybe I will take up hasya yoga

So might I ....

• nakazcidnakazcid Somewhere in Dixie, y'all Veteran

@silver I watch a lot of Youtube as well. A good bit of it is fluff, like music videos or videos of people playing games. Some of it is tutorials. For example, I followed a video on how to repair my Macbook. (Yes, my laptop surgery was successful.) I also watch a lot of technology videos.

But most of my viewing is evenly split between tech news and music videos. Music videos were a brand new art form when I was young, and I didn't have MTV, so they were a luxury. Now I can indulge any time I like. Well, unless I'm away from an Internet connection.

Youtube is definitely a mixed blessing. It can be a source of education and entertainment, but it can also be a huge sinkhole of wasted time.

I unsubscribed to QTs videos, because I could no longer see any benefit from watching a young man with obvious talents throw them away on that sort of thing and careen towards ruining his health at such a young age. I haven't watched him at all since then.