Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dhamma dreams

BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Hi noble community

I fell asleep on my bed yesterday with a dhamma talk playing beside me. In that weird state between sleeping and awak I could feel the bed underneath my back. Then a voice in my mind said, “It’s time for you to use the Dhamma to lean on and support you....” (or words to that affect).

It was quite startling and I woke up immediately.

Has anyone else had something similar or some kind of Dhamma dreams?

ShoshinpersonKundolobster

Comments

• ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:

I live in one :)

However ....There are Dharma Talks going on inside my head 24/7/365 ...which helps :)

Bunks
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Not quite dhamma related, but yes, just a few nights ago, I had a dream where I was attempting to resolve a problem (one I didn't have in the 'awake' world) and suddenly, a completely dream-UNrelated thought flashed through my mind, relating to a real problem I had, and I woke up with a solution to it, that I simply hadn't managed to figure out while awake.

To be honest, the solution was a "D'uh, dumbklutz! How could you not have realised this before?!" but I'm not a technical person, and the fact that the solution came to me at all, is pretty miraculous (although probably glaringly bleedin' obvious to everyone else..)!

The actual problem is too long-winded to explain, but trust me on this one, it would be a complete anti-climax anyway....

KundoBunks
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

Occasionally the same sort of clear message happens to me too, only when it does it's when I very first wake up in the morning. They usually have the same sort of vague, yet pertinent wording that leaves it up to me to interpret. It's kind of mysterious where they come from, I keep it in mind that not everything that seems like a divine message necessarily is. It may just be our own subconscious screaming out at us.

Bunks
  • "Undharmarelated" but when I was in school I had a homework problem in thermodynamics that I couldn't solve and went to bed and in my sleep I was still working on the problem.

Bunks
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

@Bunks said:
    Hi noble community

I fell asleep on my bed yesterday with a dhamma talk playing beside me. In that weird state between sleeping and awak I could feel the bed underneath my back. Then a voice in my mind said, “It’s time for you to use the Dhamma to lean on and support you....” (or words to that affect).

It was quite startling and I woke up immediately.

From what you are describing, I'm under the impression @Bunks, it's wisdom itself that arises and which speaks words of wisdom to the aggregated self ...and this wisdom develops with [Dharma] practice...And as Wisdom grows the ego shrinks becoming less dominant, just a convenient analytic tool/device for when interacting in the conventional world ...

But I could be wrong :)

personBunksKundolobster
  • BunksBunks Australia Veteran

Yeah, most teachers in the Theravadan tradition dismiss dreams as the deluded mind playing tricks. Forget about it!

I like to think this was a pertinent message for me though.

Kundo
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

In a lecture by Osho I recently came across the comment that in the state between waking and sleep, particularly as you just come out of sleep, there is the possibility that you can catch a glimpse of the core of your being and receive some kind of message.

I was sleeping a few weeks ago and I woke up, and as I woke something said to me “Palestine”. I’ve since been doing research into what Palestine might mean to me, it refers either to the geographical area or the nascent state, but I’ve not been able to conclude what to do with it.

At least your sentence is relatively clear :) you can investigate your relationship with the dhamma and see whether you need to make changes...

Bunkspersonlobster
  • @Bunks said

I prefer to do my dreaming whilst awake. ?

In the dervish tradition, drifting (moving between conscious and subconscious is used). The important thing may be pertinence/useful rather than hearing voices (for example from god/cod PBUH, manjushri or some arising of no import). I feel random arisings with nothing but a contrived relevance just illustrate how we cling to ordering our random brain farts ... ?

This message sponsored by Butter Fly Mind

Bunks
  • techietechie India Veteran

@Kerome said:
    In a lecture by Osho I recently came across the comment that in the state between waking and sleep, particularly as you just come out of sleep, there is the possibility that you can catch a glimpse of the core of your being and receive some kind of message.

I was sleeping a few weeks ago and I woke up, and as I woke something said to me “Palestine”. I’ve since been doing research into what Palestine might mean to me, it refers either to the geographical area or the nascent state, but I’ve not been able to conclude what to do with it.

At least your sentence is relatively clear :) you can investigate your relationship with the dhamma and see whether you need to make changes...

You must have watched Al Jazeera before falling asleep.

Shoshin
  • JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran
    edited April 2018

@techie said:
    You must have watched Al Jazeera before falling asleep.

It’s not part of my usual pattern to watch much news in the evening :) but I did watch some in the days subsequently, and I found it really interesting that the Palestinians seem to have recently started a non-violent resistance movement called BDS. That’s a positive change.

• seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran

@Bunks said:

Similar but not about dhamma. Had a dream that I was at some real estate time share seminar and woke up to an infomercial on TV with some guy selling real estate timeshares. :p

lobster
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:
    It’s not part of my usual pattern to watch much news in the evening :) but I did watch some in the days subsequently, and I found it really interesting that the Palestinians seem to have recently started a non-violent resistance movement called BDS. That’s a positive change.

Do some more research

@dhammachick said:

@Kerome said:

Do some more research

How do you mean? I know the Israeli’s have labelled BDS a terrorist organization but I don’t see how that can be if it is non-violent, which are its stated aims.

Hi guys. Please don’t turn this thread into an argument. Thanks ??

Jeroen
  • KundoKundo Sydney, Australia Veteran

@Kerome said:

@dhammachick said:

@Kerome said:

Do some more research

How do you mean? I know the Israeli’s have labelled BDS a terrorist organization but I don’t see how that can be if it is non-violent, which are its stated aims.

My own personal experience has not been so utopian. Nor so non violent. All I ask is that you see all sides of the organisation. I'm not going to go into detail of my experiences, you will have your own and I don't wish to influence them.

@Bunks said:
    Hi guys. Please don’t turn this thread into an argument. Thanks ??

I have no intention to, but I'll bow out so never fear.

All good @dhammachick. Take it easy mate...

• NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

Regarding dream, I remember from some Dharma lectures mention that dreams are resulted from what we experienced during the day and also from the past (in this life time and previous life times). So, they may come from our own Alya consciousness (the storage consciousness or the 8th consciousness). They may also come from others (not worldly beings) to tell us something.

@Bunks, you maybe have practiced the Buddha Dharma in previous lives, so this may came to your dream from your own Alya consciousness to remind you to continue to follow this spiritual path. Or could be maybe from some enlighten being to remind you.

Just my thought.

A Mi Tuo Fo

Bunks
  • NMADDPNMADDP SUN Diego, California Veteran

Attached is the picture of eight Consciousness mentioned Buddhism teaching

Bunks
  • I fell asleep on my bed yesterday with a dhamma talk playing beside me. In that weird state between sleeping and awak I could feel the bed underneath my back. Then a voice in my mind said, “It’s time for you to use the Dhamma to lean on and support you....” (or words to that affect).

Now that you are awake, is that good advice? Feel free to use the Dhamma to lean on and support you in any answer ... ;)

A voice whispered to me last night: 'There is no such thing as a voice whispering in the night!'
    Haidar Ansari - Sufi Mystic

BunksShoshin