Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Painting by Numbers

lobsterlobster Veteran
edited April 2018 in Arts & Writings

Long time since I 'painted' on my Ipad. Here is

Milerepa done today.

Any art work you have done lately to share?

paulysoJasonpersonDavidBuddhadragonHozanAlex

Comments

• paulysopaulyso usa Veteran

thats cool lobster . i like it. my art interpritation: reality reaching out from a place of beauty.the hint to me is the distorded flower shape --which is to me--caught my eye.i use to be an art major.we would gather around and critique our art.

• TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

I don't know what "' painting" on an ipad is, but i like the art.

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

How come Milarepa is all red? I thought he was green from eating nettles?

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2018

She started green enough as a raven. Using an Apple pencil and Ipad tablet, lets you go back and forth through the Milarepa incarnations ...

@paulyso said:
    thats cool lobster . i like it. my art interpritation: reality reaching out from a place of beauty.the hint to me is the distorded flower shape --which is to me--caught my eye.i use to be an art major.we would gather around and critique our art.

<3
    Many thanks. Painting a Bodhi is an act of devotion and an expression of our nature. Be interested in any dharma art from our majors ...

personpaulysoShoshin
  • personperson Don't believe everything you think The liminal space Veteran

I'm hardly an expert on what makes good art, but those look good to my eye. I find the colors and shapes appealing for whatever reason.

hi lobster.at the moment my browser is limited.cant upload pictures . maybe i'll buy a laptop in the future.surely i can upload then.

art is fun.it exercises our creative reasoning.

lobster
  • ShoshinShoshin No one in particular Nowhere Special Veteran

It looks like a lotus rising out of a pond ...

• lobsterlobster Veteran
    edited April 2018

@Shoshin said:

You have just got a one track mind ;)

@paulyso ... maybe you can take a mobile phone pic and upload, perhaps from a public library. Not sure what to suggest for USA ...

The raspberry pi (I have three) is a cheap, secure computer that connects to an HDMI TV ...
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/tag/art/

paulysoShoshin

thanks lobster.i'll look into it.

• adamcrossleyadamcrossley Veteran UK Veteran

@lobster, do you have a full resolution version of any of those paintings. I’d love to download one. My dad does life drawing and I really appreciate the way he uses colour, never the shades that you’d expect: neon purple and yellow outlines on a black background, etc. I think he’d enjoy seeing your paintings, as they look similar to me. I like them very much :)

• Thanks @adamcrossley

Remember I am doing these on a Ipad tablet with a stylus (apple pencil) I am not any more than a determined dabbler ...
    http://newbuddhist.com/discussion/24154/i-haz-crayons

Highest resolution I have for the first image

adamcrossley
  • BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Shoshin said:

No mud, no Milarepa...

GhostDogShoshinlobsterHozan

paulysoJeroenlobsterBuddhadragon

I’ve just realised, (s)he looks like (s)he’s farting flower petals :o

lobsterNeridaFosdick
  • TsultrimTsultrim Hawaii Veteran

I was going to comment how nice it was until you mentioned that. Anyhow, did you do it, if so how?

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

@adamcrossley said:
    I’ve just realised, (s)he looks like (s)he’s farting flower petals :o

..."A rose by any other name would smell as sweet;".....

NeridaFosdick
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

In tantra we are sometimes taught that mindful farting, orifice evacuation is an offering to the hungry ghosts and hell realm dwellers ...

... not sure they can digest flowers ...

I liked the background.

Using nothing more than filters, I played a little with your image o:)

• JeroenJeroen Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter Netherlands Veteran

@lobster said:
    In tantra we are sometimes taught that mindful farting, orifice evacuation is an offering to the hungry ghosts and hell realm dwellers ...

Where’s the proof dear lobster, where’s the proof. These latter-day teachers and their myths play fast and loose with the buddha’s ehi passiko.

• BuddhadragonBuddhadragon Ehipassiko & Carpe Diem Samsara Veteran

@Kerome said:

@lobster said:

Where’s the proof dear lobster, where’s the proof. These latter-day teachers and their myths play fast and loose with the buddha’s ehi passiko.

VastmindlobsterFosdick
  • lobsterlobster Veteran

@Jason said:
    I thought it was the Predator. :surprised:

Tee hee.
    My sister had the same reaction ... I iz bad ... o:)

and now back to the ... where were we again?

Vastmind

@Tsultrim said:
    Anyhow, did you do it, if so how?

I did do it, but it was traced from another image, so it doesn’t really qualify as “art”. Maybe I’d call it a mindfulness practice.

@lobster, thank you for your collaboration, it’s very whimsical.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

@adamcrossley makes a good avatar. I am using it as a desktop background ...

• Dear Friends of the Buddha,

Whilst waiting form Apple Pencil to charge ... it was at 4% I decided to visit the hell realms or it may have been the Psychedelic Purelands ... sometimes difficult to tell.

Anyway here is the proof ...

paulyso
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

I see a little silhouetto of a man Woman....

• Yes @federica it is Queen Quan Yin, the female Buddha ...
    The Dalai Lama is another version/personification of the original ...
    As is your fav ... Madam Tara ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin

• Charged my Ipencil.
    Created an abstract garuda and cosmifried it ...

@lobster said:
    Yes @federica it is Queen Quan Yin, the female Buddha ...
    The Dalai Lama is another version/personification of the original ...
    As is your fav ... Madam Tara ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guanyin

i have an image of her sitting on the lotus holding a vase and flower.her icon helps me to remember a woman can be a buddha.long live quan yin.

edited February 2019

@paulyso said:.... i have an image of her sitting on the lotus holding a vase and flower.her icon helps me to remember a woman can be a buddha.long live quan yin.

Enlightenment and Buddhahood are genderless. However:

Tara is also a bodhisattva, someone who has vowed to attain enlightenment for the sake of liberating all beings, but she took a special vow: to attain enlightenment in a female body and so always to be reborn as a woman until this was fulfilled. Tara's vow has, consequently, given hope and inspiration to countless generations of women.

From here.

federica,yes.there is still some residue of male-oriented view.in which case tara buddha is a great counterpoint.

im all about equality.i believe it is the buddha way.

@lobster said:
    Any art work you have done lately to share?

After a trip to the galleries of Vienna recently, my partner and I are doing a lot of painting. I painted this placemat and coaster using the colours of the Tibetan prayer flags, inspired by the feeling of clarity, like bright mountain air, which they evoke in me.

May they bless my breakfast every day now =)

lobsterpaulysoJeffrey
  • ZenSamZenSam ZenJew Explorer

Better artist than me.

• Self portrait as a Whirling DuhWish

paulyso
    edited March 2019

@ZenSam said:
    Better artist than me.

Better artist than I ...

(Oh bloody fekking hell!!)

(Sometimes, I REALLY hate myself....)

lobsterZenSam

@lobster, that's really rather good....!

• @federica said:
    @lobster, that's really rather good....!

Many thanks.
    (for those unaware, @federica is aflicted by extreme gramma correction) tee hee >:)

federica

Yes. It is both a blessing and a curse - a form of literary OCD.... Useful when people ask me - "Fede, is it 'defiantly' or definately'..?"

Neither. It's 'Definitely'.

Mind you, I have been known to stretch my own rules....

• There are rules? I may have it all wrong ...