Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Herb garden season coming up

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited March 2018 in General Banter

I think I'm going to plant some herbs for this year. So just curious if someone has a recipe they want to share that is a good use of a particular herb.

Please NO LINKS. I am looking for favorite things with instructions not a link to "gardening info" or "herb info"... So I prefer a small amount of hand tipped favorites rather than links to websites.

My ideas:

Basil: 1 keeps away insects 2 Salads 3 Caprese salad 4 pesto 5 tomato based sauces 6 dry and save

Dill: 1 fish, 2 potatoes, 3 cheese dip recipe

Chives: 1 salads, 2 potatoes, 3 Mexican food eg. tacos or enchiladas

Parsley: 1 tomato based sauces, 2 salads, 3 soups 4 dry and save

Comments

• karastikarasti Breathing Minnesota Moderator

I grow basil, dill, chives, lavender, thyme, mint...a few others I will have to look at my notebook. Some we use fresh but we also dry them in the dehydrator. The lavender I use for a lot of things, baking, smoothies, tea. Dill we do pickling so we use a lot of it for that, plus with eggs and salmon. Mint I use for smoothies and salads. I do a lot of salads in the summer so I just clip random green stuff to toss in those as well.

Jeffrey
  • Cool I think I might try lavender and mint. I like teas already. I've grown mint before as an ingredient for home made beer though I don't make home-brew anymore.

• garlic - use shoots like potent chives, chopped bulb like yogurt topping (dip)
    parsley - chew to get rid of garlic breath
    sage - tea ... try tea with lavendar and lemon rind

Jeffrey
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator

Lad's Love (Artemisia Abrotanum) and Rue (Ruta Graveolens): Very good home fragrances and keeps insects at bay (In ye goode olden dayes they were strewn plentifully underfoot for ye to stamp on thereby releasing the oils/fragrances and making ye olde tudor manor smell right bleedin' lush, don't ye know....)

My MiL had a huge bush of Lad's Love in her garden, and chopped it back regularly every spring. One year, she gave me all last'year's woody cut offs (about 30 or so) and told me to put them in a bucket of water. Within a week, most of them were sprouting roots, and so I planted them 6" apart. Within 2 years, I had a highly respectable low hedge, Which I cut back annually, in the same way. I reckon where I used to live has the highest incidence of "Artemisia from donated cuttings" in the country - ! :D

Feverfew (sparingly!) for headaches, dandelion, nettle and goosefoot for blood tonics and urinary infections, and - I only found this out last year - Silver Birch leaves as an immune system booster.
    I think I might even bathe in the stuff, for the hell of it...

Jeffreylobsterelizabetlilian
  • Lavender can be used like rosemary and vice versa but rosemary is best for culinary usage.
    Thyme makes good tea.

• silversilver In the beginning there was nothing, and then it exploded. USA, Left coast. Veteran

@Jeffrey, I think you've picked 4 basic ones - of all the cooking shows I've watched this week, basil is the one I've seen used most. They're all good.

• lobsterlobster Veteran

Wot no links?
    Pah!
    http://www.pointsofearth.com/1131-forgotten-native-american-herbal-remedies-that-work-better-than-the-pills/

We just bought pineapple sage and pineapple mint (for salads, drinks, teas) I want to get more parsley. Shade loving. Blood and breath cleanser ...

Grow mint in a damp pot, it is a weed. Ours is growing in shade and variegated.